The Legend of Korra

The_Phonz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Detroit, MI
tumblr_ndlqitHN6s1qcgu0vo1_500.gif

izzysenpai:

It still blows my mind that they were able to slip a Beyonce reference into LOK I love it

crashlol:

i dont think anyone understands the irony of this. that dance scene is from ‘girls run the world’ and literally ten minutes later kuvira shows up and declares herself empress. not only is it a beyonce reference, but its a FORESHADOWING beyonce reference that’s hella relevant
oh_gif.gif

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I disagree. She was what 16 at the start of LOK? And her first element is water. She's a master water bender for sure. And that's at age 16. Learning 3 elements by that age is impressive. She just wasn't a master in the other two. Even in the series finale it showed how powerful she was when she had water around her. Aang bring an Airbender is different. Air is always around. It's air.
Her number one element wasn't easy to come by so naturally she had to focus on her other (not as powerful) elements.

I'd say at the start of the series she was a 9/10 water bender, 6/10 fire bender. 5/10 water bender and a shytty Airbender. That's not bad for a sheltered 16 year old who's never seen the world or outside of her water tribe.

Aangs stats are so overrated sometimes too. Master Airbender but slightly above average in the other elements.

12 y.o Aang vs 16 year old Korra is actually a good fight if all elements are available. No AVATAR state included.
Not that it matters that much but she was 18 in Book 1 and 21 by Book 3. She had already learned to bend water, fire and earth when she was 4, she just had all those years to master it. She was most definitely a master in earth and fire atleast because it was stated in the very first episode when she was finishing her training with the White Lotus masters. Both her and the masters explicitly stated she had mastered the 3 elements but lacked the spiritual masterery needed for the Avatar mode. Which is where she remarked "3 down, one to go." and then explained that Tenzin is the most spiritual master anyway and is best suited to teach her that along with Airbending.

Again, this is where my opinion about Korra takes root. The writers did a poor job by making her "job" to people she should not have for story purposes. The way they choreographed the fighting in LOK made the bending smaller/weaker in comparison to ATLA and that lends itself to my opinion as well unfortunately. Avatar Aang just showed more impressive feats than Korra routinely and that shouldnt have been the case. Korra should have been more advanced than Aang in almost every way except Air and agility. She lacked the physical martial arts discipline (or they failed to show it) as well as the bending feats. Aang moved Earth on a larger scale than Korra multiple times and used Earth to a greater mastery than she did (minus metal). Korra on the other hand, uses Fire more often and reflexively which suits her aggressive style better. This was noted by the White Lotus when she left the temple in the beginning when they mentioned that she always had a knack for Firebending. Even still, she never displayed noticeable advantages to the Fire that Aang who we know had a difficult time learning and rarely using. This is all very evident to me because I just recently marathoned both series back to back and I noticed the little things like that immediately when I was watching Korra because I actually expected "more" powerful bending.

That of course is not bad at all. Im not implying that Korra is weak. Just that she should have been stronger than presented. So much so that her feats should have trumped Aang's easily. Aang does get overrated sometimes by people but not myself. He is defintely more than "slightly above average" with his other elements but not a master. When he fought masters, his agility and and martial arts coupled with people's difficulty fighting Air and his mix-up game is what got him his Wins. He was just an incredibly versatile little dude. Bending aside, mastering martial arts gives the person a huge advantage. Look at Azula and how difficult it was for even Aang to even hit her when she had no bending power during the eclipse. Or when Zuko took down the firebenders on the ship when he wore the mask and no bending trying to free Aang. Azula, Aang and Zuko were great physical martial artists without their bending. I wish Korra had that level of technique since she was drawn so physically imposing but shorty got that work several times. It just annoyed me is all.

But again, I respect anyone's opinion who disagrees. This is just all fresh in my mind. Aang wasnt a master but if you werent a Master, you had no chance against Aang even if he is just using Airbending.

:yeshrug:

Last edited:

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Not that it matters that much but she was 18 in Book 1 and 21 by Book 3. She had already learned to bend water, fire and earth when she was 4, she just had all those years to master it. She was most definitely a master in earth and fire atleast because it was stated in the very first episode when she was finishing her training with the White Lotus masters. Both her and the masters explicitly stated she had mastered the 3 elements but lacked the spiritual masterery needed for the Avatar mode. Which is where she remarked "3 down, one to go." and then explained that Tenzin is the most spiritual master anyway and is best suited to teach her that along with Airbending.

Again, this is where my opinion about Korra takes root. The writers did a poor job by making her "job" to people she should not have for story purposes. The way they choreographed the fighting in LOK made the bending smaller/weaker in comparison to ATLA and that lends itself to my opinion as well unfortunately. Avatar Aang just showed more impressive feats than Korra routinely and that shouldnt have been the case. Korra should have been more advanced than Aang in almost every way except Air and agility. She lacked the physical martial arts discipline (or they failed to show it) as well as the bending feats. Aang moved Earth on a larger scale than Korra multiple times and used Earth to a greater mastery than she did (minus metal). Korra on the other hand, uses Fire more often and reflexively which suits her aggressive style better. This was noted by the White Lotus when she left the temple in the beginning when they mentioned that she always had a knack for Firebending. Even still, she never displayed noticeable advantages to the Fire that Aang who we know had a difficult time learning and rarely using. This is all very evident to me because I just recently marathoned both series back to back and I noticed the little things like that immediately when I was watching Korra because I actually expected "more" powerful bending.

That of course is not bad at all. Im not implying that Korra is weak. Just that she should have been stronger than presented. So much so that her feats should have trumped Aang's easily. Aang does get overrated sometimes by people but not myself. He is defintely more than "slightly above average" with his other elements but not a master. When he fought masters, his agility and and martial arts coupled with people's difficulty fighting Air and his mix-up game is what got him his Wins. He was just an incredibly versatile little dude. Bending aside, mastering martial arts gives the person a huge advantage. Look at Azula and how difficult it was for even Aang to even hit her when she had no bending power during the eclipse. Or when Zuko took down the firebenders on the ship when he wore the mask trying to free Aang. Azula, Aang and Zuko were great physical martial artists without their bending. I wish Korra had that level of technique since she was drawn so physically imposing but shorty got that work several times. It just annoyed me is all.

But again, I respect anyone's opinion who disagrees. This is just all fresh in my mind. Aang wasnt a master but if you werent a Master, you had no chance against Aang even if he is just using Airbending.

Didn't read all of it but yeah. They really downgraded Korra for plot reasons a lot. Like when she first fought the equalists she got washed but after that they couldn't do a thing to her after that. They were just really inconsistent with korra''s power.

Like in season 1 and 2 they would let regular enemies best her. but then all of a sudden four high level criminals who everyone was terrified of, Did their absolute best to avoid fighting korra directly and instead tried to poison or attack her when she was incapacitated?:mindblown:

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
Didn't read all of it but yeah. They really downgraded Korra for plot reasons a lot. Like when she first fought the equalists she got washed but after that they couldn't do a thing to her after that. They were just really inconsistent with korra''s power.

Like in season 1 and 2 they would let regular enemies best her. but then all of a sudden four high level criminals who everyone was terrified of, Did their absolute best to avoid fighting korra directly and instead tried to poison or attack her when she was incapacitated?:mindblown:

the broad could bend everything @ 3...

korra the wackest avatar ever. broad was iller at 3, than she was at 16

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps

That of course is not bad at all. Im not implying that Korra is weak. Just that she should have been stronger than presented. So much so that her feats should have trumped Aang's easily. Aang does get overrated sometimes by people but not myself. He is defintely more than "slightly above average" with his other elements but not a master. When he fought masters, his agility and and martial arts coupled with people's difficulty fighting Air and his mix-up game is what got him his Wins. He was just an incredibly versatile little dude. Bending aside, mastering martial arts gives the person a huge advantage. Look at Azula and how difficult it was for even Aang to even hit her when she had no bending power during the eclipse. Or when Zuko took down the firebenders on the ship when he wore the mask and no bending trying to free Aang. Azula, Aang and Zuko were great physical martial artists without their bending. I wish Korra had that level of technique since she was drawn so physically imposing but shorty got that work several times. It just annoyed me is all.

Whole time I was wishing they wouldtry to get Aaron Ehasz on the staff so he could right that ship. The best avatar in the Korra series was Wan and he only had 2 episodes to tell me his story.

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
I agree that Amon would give her (and the vast majority of people) that work, but Zaheer actually wasn't that great an airbender.

If you remember, Tenzin gave him that work when they fought one on one.

The ability to fly has nothing to do with your fighting skill level, it's all about detaching from earthly tethers, which is a spiritual thing.

I think Aang and Tenzin easily could've got to that level, but they had families keeping them attached to the Earth.

Those were two of the best moments in the entire series and I thank you for reminding me of them.

AllHolosEve

Her Name Is Mistress Death
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SouthSide, MPLS
The problem is if she's been training this long and ISNT a master in any element its indicative of the problem. My point is she was stated as and presented as a master fire/water/earth bender (minus metal). Even if they were not stated as such, she has had VERY specialized training as the Avatar since she was a toddler. Thats atleast 15yrs of training. Not just typical training, but Avatar-specific training. Aang had no training whatsoever in anything but Air and despite being much younger, mastered Air before he even knew he was the Avatar. My point is the powerscaling in LOK was all wrong. Aang isnt getting worked by henchman and especially not the ones in LOK. He wouldnt lose to Amon, Zaheer or Kuvira and that would be with his limited knowledge of other bending. Aang was a much better martial artist than Korra and Amon was the main villian and took over an entire city just using martial arts. He used no bending until the very end. That shyt would not have happened to even a young Aang. I respect your opinion to disagree but I will not be moved on this.
Its all good breh, we just debatin respetfully in here... I own the 1st season & like I said she was no master... Shed only used her bending durin trainin & once she got out in the "world" she found out training =/= experience... train all you want but when you step in the cage, its real... Ill give you Zaheer, Aang would smash him... Not Amon or Kuvira, heda got that work... Adult Aang had to go avatar state to survive Yakon & Amon was WAY stronger, Makko said he could sense other benders movements by sensin the water in their body or somethin, they used some bullshyt to get rid of him, Amon woulda equalized Aang... Kuvira woulda gave him that work too, heda lasted longer cause air is about evasion but I think shed get him cause he too soft to do that suffocate you air move...

AllHolosEve

Her Name Is Mistress Death
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SouthSide, MPLS
She lacked the physical martial arts discipline (or they failed to show it) as well as the bending feats. Aang moved Earth on a larger scale than Korra multiple times and used Earth to a greater mastery than she did (minus metal). Korra on the other hand, uses Fire more often and reflexively which suits her aggressive style better. This was noted by the White Lotus when she left the temple in the beginning when they mentioned that she always had a knack for Firebending. Even still, she never displayed noticeable advantages to the Fire that Aang who we know had a difficult time learning and rarely using. This is all very evident to me because I just recently marathoned both series back to back and I noticed the little things like that immediately when I was watching Korra because I actually expected "more" powerful bending.

they said the opposite of your personality is the hardest to learn & they stated the hardest for Aang to really grasp was earth, not fire, when they explained her air struggle... You dead center on the martial arts though... Korra was nowhere near the martial level & woulda got that work from Azula chi-blocker goon who loved Zuko... The equalizer goon squad were all chi blockers... Aang woulda played it smart & Korra would rush in & get that work like she did... Im just sayin they had different styles but aint no damn way Aang was seein Amon without avatar mode breh...

Texas2step

H-Town it's NOT our year
Daps
I disagree. She was what 16 at the start of LOK? And her first element is water. She's a master water bender for sure. And that's at age 16. Learning 3 elements by that age is impressive. She just wasn't a master in the other two. Even in the series finale it showed how powerful she was when she had water around her. Aang bring an Airbender is different. Air is always around. It's air.
Her number one element wasn't easy to come by so naturally she had to focus on her other (not as powerful) elements.

I'd say at the start of the series she was a 9/10 water bender, 6/10 fire bender. 5/10 water bender and a shytty Airbender. That's not bad for a sheltered 16 year old who's never seen the world or outside of her water tribe.

Aangs stats are so overrated sometimes too. Master Airbender but slightly above average in the other elements.

12 y.o Aang vs 16 year old Korra is actually a good fight if all elements are available. No AVATAR state included.
She couldn't even defeat her own cousins in waterbending. She was easily the worst avatar in history. She had a headstart and still couldn't fukk with aang. She failed even though she had the best support system ever. Aang had kids as his support system. Korra had MASTERS and the absolute best at their craft around her and still FAILED.

• Dap
Reactions: Ark

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nikkas in-depth character debates...

Can't do that with Dragon Ball Z:sas1:
We have monthly dbz in depth character shytting threads:stopitslime:

though Avatar is more fruitful and philosophical :obama: