Trades vs IT?

tay1

Pro
Daps
I would avoid IT jobs if you value having any semblance of work life balance. Sure you can make lots of money but you'll rarely be able to enjoy it.
Not true at all. Depends on the company’s requirements for the position.

• Dap
Reactions: rlg

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Trades in the long run. IT will get u paid 6 figures fast, but their are ceilings. Trades are probably more fulfilling and healthier, men aren't suppose to sit at a computer 40+ hours a week. Trades are way easier to start your own company.

I'm trying to grab some IT government contracts myself. Its hell
The amount of dudes in IT barely over 50 years old dropping dead from heart attacks is rampant. These dudes literally work themselves to death. A few condolence emails go out but by the next week he's forgotten. Then it's time to reassign his workload to someone else.
:francis:

Make as much money as you can then get out. Nobody gets treated worse during interviews. Then some laid off 50 something tech guy who's not old enoug to retire just yet. These young cats on the job be straight disrespecting them during the interview. Can you imagine some dude half your age interviewing you and talking shyt? It's gotta eat at them to be getting grilled by some cat just a few years out of college.
:sadcam:

TheKongoEmpire

A Wilsonian Garveyite
Daps
Reppin
The Original Man and the First Gods
I would avoid IT jobs if you value having any semblance of work life balance. Sure you can make lots of money but you'll rarely be able to enjoy it. Most people burnout, quit or get aged out way before reaching retirement age.

You'll end up mostly working with people overseas which ain't no picnic. That means working alongside people with the personality of a rock usually.
That's actually the plan. Save 6-digits (if possible, 7) then bounce to the Continent. We already have one of the lowest life expectancies. I won't let that cac make it any lower. :camby:

Daps
I’m studying IT right now. The pay where I live at is pretty meh but it’s high everywhere else.

My dad is against it. He says the market is saturated with internet/online based jobs

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I totally agree with him, depends on the company and the requirements of your job position at said company.
If you making over 6 figures in IT you probably busting your ass to do it. But if you working on Geek Squad or some shyt probably not.

Bumblebreh

Collecting honey and money
Daps
If you making over 6 figures in IT you probably busting your ass to do it. But if you working on Geek Squad or some shyt probably not.

Yes, studying a stem subject in college is going to be intensive. You will also have to network to secure an internship and learn about tech interviews. For example if you have studied computer science or mathematics at a good school, you can work in data science. A data scientist can earn up to 150,000 or more. But the work life balance is terrible. A high salary = high cost of living.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Talk to me about tech sales, how you get in, what makes you think its better than subject, expound breh?

Meant to get back to you. Ultimately sales engineers (or solutions engineers, solutions architects) influence the sale of software by becoming a SME or technical advisor on the sales team. We intersect in between the salesperson and the engineer. This generally takes a breadth of experience working in highly technical roles, in my case I've worked operations and site reliability roles. Not only that you must also be able to be personable and be able to have business acumen and have great communications skills to convey that knowledge. These are rare qualities to combine and if you possess both you will be rewarded handsomely.

I realized that I will never become a principal or distinguished engineer going the purely technical path. I attempted to get into management but that wasn't for me either. The opportunity to get into a sales role fell in my lap. I was already training colleagues on products, wrote documentation, and have done presentations in the past so it seemed like a good fit for me.

My compensation right now is low - mid 200s which includes my base salary + variable commission + stocks so I'd recommend it to anyone who has strong sales skills and a voracious appetite for learning.

popogogo

Pro
Daps
I have 2 cousins both in their late 40's.
We hung out over the holidays.
One is an IT guy and the other is an electrician and they both started their careers around the same time.

The IT guy is getting nervous because of his experience and age, he commands a higher pay rate than similarly skilled H1B visa workers who will take less to get to the US. He is constantly having to skill up to stay relevant in the workforce. He makes six figures and lives a nice middle class life but the market has him uneasy.

The electrician has more work than he can handle and is hiring electricians and helpers as fast as he can for his business.
He makes mid 6 figures and lives a great life. His wife and son helps run the business.

Take that for whatever it's worth.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I have 2 cousins both in their late 40's.
We hung out over the holidays.
One is an IT guy and the other is an electrician and they both started their careers around the same time.

The IT guy is getting nervous because of his experience and age, he commands a higher pay rate than similarly skilled H1B visa workers who will take less to get to the US. He is constantly having to skill up to stay relevant in the workforce. He makes six figures and lives a nice middle class life but the market has him uneasy.

The electrician has more work than he can handle and is hiring electricians and helpers as fast as he can for his business.
He makes mid 6 figures and lives a great life. His wife and son helps run the business.

Take that for whatever it's worth.
Sounds a lot like me and my cousin. I'm an electrician, he is in tech/IT. He is always worried about getting laid off/contract ending and constantly says he has to learn new shyt or he can't get a job or get higher wages. I haven't worried about getting laid off in years and I have gotten a raise every single year I've been in the trade and don't even be asking for them they just happen.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Broad question but which career path do you think is better to go down long term?

Im currently an HVAC tech, but interested in IT. Both fields you can do anywhere around the world and both are in high demand.

Which has the higher earning potential and more sustainable?

Which would you do?
they both have a good ROI compared on some college majors