Trades vs IT?

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
If you are in HVAC, do you understand control systems? Honestly, rather than trying to switch fields learn how to install, program, maintain, and troubleshoot PLC and other system controls and you may get the best of both worlds. I got fam in HVAC and Siemens, Johnson Controls, Schneider etc. PLCs are pretty common. If you get good enough you don't even have to be at the job site all the time since you can remote in to some systems.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Go with IT trades are hard on your body

This too. 30 years of trades can wear folks down. Honestly the long game is to find some young dudes to apprentice and start a crew where you provide technical guidance and management and they do the work. You also can pay yourself and the company as an owner, write off expenses, etc.

MaxBundles

Veteran
Daps
I'm in HVAC. Been in the field for 10 years now and wouldn't have it no other way. Brehs, talking about a "ceiling" don't know what they're talking about.

Don't get me wrong, there is also alot of money in IT and that was my initial intent outta school but I'm glad I didn't. In this day and age, it's super saturated and hard to get into.

I'm NEVER outta work in my field and with my universal license, I can literally go to any state and find work

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I forgot to mention sales engineers do a lot of discovery calls to determine if our suite of tools align with the customer needs. It's a very prescriptive approach.

Also we educate the customer on the product through training, workshops, etc. That helps with building a working relationship with the customer which helps us sell more and get renewals etc.

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
This too. 30 years of trades can wear folks down. Honestly the long game is to find some young dudes to apprentice and start a crew where you provide technical guidance and management and they do the work. You also can pay yourself and the company as an owner, write off expenses, etc.
@DrBanneker

@JT-Money

Is looking at a computer screen 8+ hours a day healthy? What are the long term effects of that?

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
@DrBanneker

@JT-Money

Is looking at a computer screen 8+ hours a day healthy? What are the long term effects of that?

The biggest health implications are sitting down and not moving which is linked to cardiovascular and other issues. You should get up at least every 30 minutes and walk around. There was a study of bus employees in the UK and the drivers (which sat all the time) vs. the ticket takers (back in the day they walked around clipping tickets etc.) had very different rates of heart disease, blood pressure, etc. despite being matched in most other ways. Mobility is important.

Regarding the computer though, eye strain issues and carpal tunnel are the biggest problems I have heard of.