What is the blueprint to becoming a successful black man?

Memorial Stadium Piru

WE BYKE BABY
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Big Red
:patrice:

I'm currently 19 years old, about to transfer from community college to a university for my bachelor's. I plan on getting my degree in Business Information Systems, and currently I'm learning how to code C++, and eventually Ruby, because I want to start a tech company. If I obtain the wealth I desire via my entrepreneurial pursuits, I want to become an angel investor for young brothers & sisters so that they can fulfill their dreams like I was able to. I also hope to settle down & marry a nice black woman in the future & have kids with her. I look at David Steward and his wife, and how she supported him when he was struggling early on, and how when he finally got papered up he showed how much he loved her by giving her the best life possible & not wanting for nothing, thereby letting her go & fulfill the dream she'd always wanted of being a philanthropist. That's real love, & I hope to achieve that some day with the special girl for me. This all seems like pro-black actions & ideals, right? I'd think so.

With that being said, here's my issue. The tech industry has shown time & again that it has serious issues with racism & bigotry, and the fact that the system is built specifically on the back of black oppression and they're only going to let in as many black men as their quotas allow.

While I am ambitious and possess positive goals, I have ZERO black business mentors, as I come from a country ass town on the edge of the Everglades, where all the black men tried to become football players, and if that didn't work they either became drug dealers and got NFC East scores, or they smoked, fukked and drank until they were 40 and laid up under a hoodrat until it was their time to go. There are some great black dudes down here, but most of them know nothing about business, as they work regular office jobs and do part-time community service. The few black men that achieved real wealth independent of sports fled to the tree-lined, mansioned areas on the water, married a Spanish/white chick & tried to forget their upbringing.

Now, my dreams are fine & dandy, but most successful entrepreneurs had a wise older friend show them the ropes & give them advice. I have none. My idols are David Steward, Robert F. Smith & Reginald Lewis, and I wonder how the hell they did it back in those days with seemingly insurmountable odds. I read David's book and it was full of jewels and wisdom, but he's a Black Republican in cahoots with Michael Steele, Ben Carson, Larry Elder & their ilk, so the book was full of bootstrap talk, and the foreword was written by George H.W. Bush.

Sorry if it seems longwinded, but I just need some advice because I feel empowered by my heavenly Father & ready to conquer the world, but I look at the black experience in America and get disillusioned.

Eddy Gordo

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Networking sounds like what you need. I would recommend using a app called LinkedIn. It's mostly used by cacs for networking for jobs but you should be able to find some business saavy brothers whose brains you can pick. Best of luck.

FSP

Banned
Daps
In your situation. You HAVE to move and surround yourself with people who have the skillets you desire and the same aspirations as you.

Here's the part that no one here will like to hear about that part:

They might not all be black men. And that's okay, as long as you don't lose your sensibilities and awareness of your racial status. I'm not saying you won't have brothers around you, but be open to the possibility that the guy who helps you the most get from point a to b, might be a white man. Don't close off your potential suitors because of race. Thats hurting yourself

hostsamurai

Demon King Of Salvation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
Don't burn bridges. Chase a check never chase a bytch. Realize there are people that are only meant to be in your life at certain stages. You don't need to ruthless to succeed, but you cannot be weak and must know your limitations. Increase your skill base so you have some sort of foundation. As a black man it's likely there are myriad experiences you lack that your white and asian peers have. Such as having parents read a story every night for the first couple years. That specifically is something that can't be done later, toddlers have a small period where there is massive brain cell growth.

The more shadier stuff is that as a black man the world is against you, so learning social engineering, learning to be polite and a sycophant can be immensely helpful in the right situations. Through people under buses if it helps you. The strong rule and the weak serve. That is the way America has always been.

I don't believe there will come a black leader to unite blacks globally so do whatever you can for you and your people.

Specifically don't learn programming languages because you want to build a skill base for a far away future. They are tools that must be used for a specific purpose or you will lose focus.

Last edited:

str8cashhomie87

All Star
Daps
Check out your local SCORE organization. score.org
They have mentors.
Once you transfer get involved with NSBE (National Society of Black Engineers) and any other black professional societies/associations. The old heads love to look out for and work with young professional black men. Let them know you want a mentor.

Henri Christophe

Son Of Afrika
Daps
Reppin
NYC / Royaume d'Haïti
currently I'm learning how to code C++, and eventually Ruby, because I want to start a tech company. If I obtain the wealth I desire via my entrepreneurial pursuits, I want to become an angel investor for young brothers & sisters so that they can fulfill their dreams like I was able to.

Peace & blessings to you bro..... I salute the ambition... We need more like you.

While I am ambitious and possess positive goals, I have ZERO black business mentors,

Now, my dreams are fine & dandy, but most successful entrepreneurs had a wise older friend show them the ropes & give them advice. I have none

I understand the struggle bro.

If you have entrepreneurial ambition....

Youre gonna have to take advantage of the internet to the best of your ability and try to remain as independent as possible.

Its hard to find OGs because most black men are busy clocking in for the white man..... So youre gonna have to go through trial-and-error and fall on your face a few times.

Figure out a business model.

Figure out your target audience.

And sell, sell, sell.

Take advantage of the internet.

Promote. Promote. Promote.

Be consistent.

To be honest, you may never find a mentor or an OG to guide you..... But Google will always be available to answer any question you may have.

No excuses.

The ancestors didnt have OGs or the internet & they STILL built businesses.

King Poetic

A.K.A. Duke Illington
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SeaBed
LISTEN YOUNG MAN

PLAY THE GAME....LEARN THE GAME...SMILE WHILE U LEARNING THE ENDS AND OUTS OF THE GAME OF WHAT THE WHITE MAN DOES SINCE THEY RUN THE WORLD..

ONCE U DO THAT FLIPPED IT ON THEM INTO YOUR ADVANTAGE...

If I had someone when I was younger like u around to tell me that instead of telling me when I got older, I'll be in a better position...

I got that from 2 old black men years ago who worked on wall street for some years until they open their own financial services firm..

Memorial Stadium Piru

WE BYKE BABY
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Big Red
In your situation. You HAVE to move and surround yourself with people who have the skillets you desire and the same aspirations as you.

Here's the part that no one here will like to hear about that part:

They might not all be black men. And that's okay, as long as you don't lose your sensibilities and awareness of your racial status. I'm not saying you won't have brothers around you, but be open to the possibility that the guy who helps you the most get from point a to b, might be a white man. Don't close off your potential suitors because of race. Thats hurting yourself
A lot of people might accuse me of c00ning/buckdancing:patrice:

• Dap
Reactions: FSP