$15.00 an hour isn't a lot of money.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
That wasn't 40 hours to get 700.

It was a little part time job through a temp service. I got to keep all that money, no benefits.

He might not be aware that both home value and rent prices have drastically increased in 10 years
:ld:

500 dollar 1 bedroom apartments are still a thing; and the apartment I was in was running a one year special (which is common too)
after that year it went to 540 or whatever it was, there's a bunch of them in ATLANTA right now:

Mountain Crest

CookisaCac

I aint lyrical
Daps
I was using most southern locations since they usually don't pay state taxes. If they did those checks would be even less.

I really don't know if these folks really have jobs. A single person with no dependents get slapped hard in taxes. and health care aint no joke.
I live in the south, have no dependents and already said what my health care cost. Can't speak on anyone else tho.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
He's not lying

It was a good estimate. I make $16.43 at one of my jobs. 40 hours brings me $504 a week after taxes, health/vision/dental care($34 a month)

i'm talking about what you bring home every pay check. that's gonna vary obviously based on what benefits you've signed up for, insurance policies etc etc..

but you're making over 2700 a month, and you're telling me you're pay checks are coming in at 1008 dollars fam? :patrice:

CookisaCac

I aint lyrical
Daps
i'm talking about what you bring home every pay check. that's gonna vary obviously based on what benefits you've signed up for, insurance policies etc etc..

but you're making over 2700 a month, and you're telling me you're pay checks are coming in at 1008 dollars fam? :patrice:
I work 2 jobs. The one I just posted is a $504 weekly check after taxes and health care yes. $16.43 an hour. 40 hours even.

knickscity

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Bed-Stuy
the temp agency i went through didn't take taxes out.
Because you didn't ask them to. I understand, probably didn't plan on being there long, it wouldn't add up much anyway.

Either way to 700 bucks from a 9 dollar an hour job you're working a lot of hours unless that is a two week check.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
Because you didn't ask them to. I understand, probably didn't plan on being there long, it wouldn't add up much anyway.

Either way to 700 bucks from a 9 dollar an hour job you're working a lot of hours unless that is a two week check.

this was 11 years ago and I just remember those checks because those were the last ones i actually held in my hand, they varied but a few of them were around 700 dollars.

i was fresh out of college still w/my parents and my little small business was struggling - needed some $$$ fast

but again - a far cry from 31K a year; i got my own place and haven't looked back since. can't do that making 9.25 an hour unless you share a place w/somebody

Doin2Much Williams

Grace Under Fiyah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Insignificant posting from an insignificant poster
IF YOU WORKING A 30K A YEAR JOB WITH NO INSURANCE I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO TELL YOU. MY DOCTOR VISIT IS 20 BUCKS AND THAT'S ONLY IF HE HAS TO DO ANY EXAMS.

YA'LL GOT SOME REALLY SKEWED PERCEPTIONS ON WHAT POOR IS. I'VE BEEN POOR BEFORE. 30K A YEAR AIN'T IT. I WALK AROUND WITH 3K DOLLARS WORTH OF ELECTRONICS ON ME DAILY. :laff:

Damb you fukkin' human cyborg.

LOL.

I like that.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
I'm gonna end my input into this discussion with this:

$15/hr isn't a LOT of money for a SINGLE person.......but it's enough to live instead of just survive.​
this has already been said repeatedly by numerous people

the dudes in here kicking and screaming are all over the place with their arguments which is derailing the discussion

there are certain life factors that make 15/HR unreasonable like child support payments, co-dependents, having a mortgage already etc etc..
and that's understandable, but not everybody has these situations especially in their early 20's (which is when you need to be making this type of money)

but again - 31K a year knocks you out of the government assistance range for a reason - it's enough money to live off of and then some. this is non disputable. :manny: