2024 UPDATE!! Altman: prepare for AI to be "uncomfortable" 33% US jobs gone..SKYNET, AI medical advances? BASIC INCOME? 1st AI MOVIE! IRS using AI

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Lyft Says Demand Picking Up as Covid-19 Restrictions Ease

Been reading the business wires and it seems like the first/primary economic "shock" related to Covid-19 has passed. Even at my company, we've seen a bottom in terms of revenue decline and have actually started to see business pick back up.

I wonder when the secondary shocks will start to manifest more broadly in the economy.

I don't think it'll be until the start of Q4 that the conversation around the economy will change. By then, we'll "officially" be in a recession (2 consecutive quarters of GDP decline - Covid started to crush the buildings mid March essentially end of Q1).

Summer will be interesting to watch as it concerns business activity. Many establishments will definitely be running at 50-60% capacity for a long time.

SN: Australia just entered its first recession in about 30 years.

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lyft Says Demand Picking Up as Covid-19 Restrictions Ease

Been reading the business wires and it seems like the first/primary economic "shock" related to Covid-19 has passed. Even at my company, we've seen a bottom in terms of revenue decline and have actually started to see business pick back up.

I wonder when the secondary shocks will start to manifest more broadly in the economy.

I don't think it'll be until the start of Q4 that the conversation around the economy will change. By then, we'll "officially" be in a recession (2 consecutive quarters of GDP decline - Covid started to crush the buildings mid March essentially end of Q1).

Summer will be interesting to watch as it concerns business activity. Many establishments will definitely be running at 50-60% capacity for a long time.

SN: Australia just entered its first recession in about 30 years.

We have two economies. Never forget that. Many industries/companies will keep on humming. But the poor/working class/lower middle class are going to keep getting squeezed. Eventually something will be needed in order to increase demand among these groups. Otherwise you're going to have a lot of social/political/economic instability (more protests, possible work stoppages/general strikes etc).

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Lyft has been very unreliable for about 3 weeks, it wasn't like that in March, it seemed to bottom out in early/mid May, I had wait times of like 20-30 minutes, sometimes, hours. So, I see that valley/peak of economic shock, mixed with pandemic fear, and economic collapse, now with reopenings and businesses back, it will probably rise and even out a bit.

On the subject of protests, a lot of those out there are probably disenfranchised specifically by the pandemic, and my guess is the ones (In San Diego) that were rampaging (slightly) at night fit even higher in that group. Before everyone had jobs and economic stress, now it's all been removed, at least for now. People see the futility and desperation, but also the vastness of it, in something like wide spread civil unrest.

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You guys sound delusional. There won’t be a wide scale second stimulus.

Small targets/incentives. More corporate bailouts that will “trickle down”.

Other than that Trump doesn’t gain anything from handing out more money. Con men make waves by selling promises. He fakes populism of the working class. So expect the calls against China to become more pronounced, even though he won’t do anything.

Trump Team Envisions Up to $1 Trillion for Next Stimulus Round

This is just opening negotiations. I'm guessing final bill will include:

1. Infrastructure (1 trillion)
2. Extend unemployment benefits (250 Billion)
3. State/local government bail out (1 trillion)
4. Business incentive/bailout provisions (1.5 trillion)

So appx 4 trillion seems about right.

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Trump Team Envisions Up to $1 Trillion for Next Stimulus Round

This is just opening negotiations. I'm guessing final bill will include:

1. Infrastructure (1 trillion)
2. Extend unemployment benefits (250 Billion)
3. State/local government bail out (1 trillion)
4. Business incentive/bailout provisions (1.5 trillion)

So appx 4 trillion seems about right.

GOP Senator. This is a sign.

Economic Effects of Additional Unemployment Benefits of $600 per Week | Congressional Budget Office

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
May jobs report: America's unemployment rate falls to 13.3% as economy posts surprise job gains - CNN

Bit of surprise in today's job report. Economy added 2.5 million jobs in May. UE rate fell to 13.3% compared to 14.7% the month prior. It's some good news but I still feel there worst is yet to come, and not even from a Covid-19 standpoint, but from a fundamental economics standpoint (too much debt in the market).

We'll just have to see how summer pans out.

Labor Statistics fukkd it up. Most likely on purpose.