2nd week electrical apprentice AmA

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Anxiety attacks and sugar cookies
So as the title states I'm in my second week of my electrician apprenticeship , I'm in one of the ibew unions in Florida , I've seen some threads of other people on here being interested in trades so I figured I'd provide a very green but insightful thread on my exp so far
Fire away

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
How often you work in hot temps. Like in attics and shyt

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Congrats.

What was the application process like?

Does everyone get accepted?

How long is the apprenticeship?

What's the difference between an apprenticeship and a journeyman?

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
How did you get the apprenticeship and get into the union?
How long is the program and what are your expectations post completion re: pay, etc
Is it all hands on or are they teaching the applied math side of electrical engineering?

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
How often you work in hot temps. Like in attics and shyt
Well they say I’m lucky cause my first job is in a corporate building, it’s only marginally hot, we’re just renovating a floor although I have been in some of the storage rooms and it’ll be hot as hell, luckily I sweat ALOT so I’m cooler in the heat as well

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
How did you get the apprenticeship and get into the union?
How long is the program and what are your expectations post completion re: pay, etc
Is it all hands on or are they teaching the applied math side of electrical engineering?
I applied on their online site
It’s 5 years where I’m at

They pretty much pay like 25+ once you top out and become a journeyman, by that time the mental and technical side of the job should be much easier to grasp but until you become a master you’ll still work under people.
It’s both, classes two times a week and you work all week. A lot of times you’ll learn shyt before you learn it in class so it’s very effective.

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Congrats.

What was the application process like?

Does everyone get accepted?

How long is the apprenticeship?

What's the difference between an apprenticeship and a journeyman?
Easy, apply, take a math aptitude test, get an interview, and either get chosen or denied, but you can reapply every six months

Depends on the year, this year it was like 325 apps and only 90 of us got in so I’m lucky as shyt cause they said almost previous years they were accepting most people

The biggest difference to me is the fact you can work for whoever you want and in most places, an apprentice is locked in the program until he becomes a journeyman so your decisions on employment is made for you most the time