70 percent of the nba game is decided by which team shoots better from the 3 ……

Bar Razor

All Star
Daps
It’s because the game is basically gambling. Just shoot 3s and hope you make them. It’s why games start to snowball real quick if one team starts to miss. They don’t adjust and take higher percentage shots or try to get to the FT line. The just keep putting money down on the 3 ball :snoop:
I’ve followed the NBA for 30+ years, played it well enough to play pick up with NBA/D1 players when I was younger (not saying I was remotely good enough to play in either but used to play at Georgetown during the summer as a good friend went there and I’d run with some of the players a few of who made it to the league).

It’s the only sport I love. And despite my issues with the modern NBA I still watch and want the best for it.

All of that being said people who defend this shyt either grew up with it and don’t know any better or insist that anything modern is automatically better. Ol Chris Brown >>> Michael Jackson type cats.

It’s just not as entertaining a brand of basketball and the ratings are showing it. If you say you love the sport you should want it to be at its best potential.

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
It’s because the game is basically gambling. Just shoot 3s and hope you make them. It’s why games start to snowball real quick if one team starts to miss. They don’t adjust and take higher percentage shots or try to get to the FT line. The just keep putting money down on the 3 ball :snoop:

Okay this is just getting high on nostalgia. The best teams - the Nuggets, Bucks, Sixers - get to the line a great deal. I'm getting tired of dudes who jerk off to memories and highlights of 80s and 90s NBA because they distort the quality of the game back then and their solutions to fixing the game are either non-existent or just bad ideas.

The truth is that players have gotten TOO good at shooting. If your team has two guys on the floor that can't shoot 35 percent from three, you probably won't compete for a title. And any rule change, like getting rid of the corner three, would dramatically hurt the entertainment value of the game. You could expand the court, but with more spacing you'd get more open jumpers and higher scores.

But hey, if you want more physical play you can watch men's college basketball. Coaches have completely ruined CBB, but there is more physical play.

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
The issue is that too many teams live and die by the three. They'll come down and jack up a 3 early in the shot clock on fast breaks or even normal possessions regardless of if the shot is slightly - moderately contested. It's the complete disregard of even taking your time and ATTEMPTING to look for a better shot.

And teams will keep spamming threes despite going cold from behind the arc, which usually results in either a loss or a waaaayyy closer game. Close games are [usually] entertaining, but seeing the kats brick shots...then continue to hoist them up is deplorable. Like, call up some plays to give your team some open shots in the mid-range or close to the hoop:skip:!

The final issue is that teams are so good at shooting threes that the league defense has suffered greatly. Playing defense in today's league is so complex because there are tried and [usually] true methods to lose your man at the arc that, as of yet, have no counter outside of the entire team being stellar on that end.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LA
I also think part of the problem is the heliocentric play (with good shooting).

Somebody who can do it all, orchestrate and offense and go nuclear from three is too much "superstarring".

It was cool to see players move the ball around and get it to their star player in their sweet spot then watch them create - whether for themselves or others.

Steph Curry bypassed all that and made the entire half court the sweet spot. Then everyone copied.
It was a spectacle when one player did it. Now it's a ho-hum that everyone is.

Instead of the team setting it up for them, they basically are set up the second they get the ball inbounded. Which again, leads to too much superstarring.

Someone can argue that Jokic and Embiid need some setup (we've seen Jokic that the ball up off inbounds many times though) but the rest of their team plays the same way anyways like other NBA teams: when they kick out, shoot threes and make the game a three point contest.

Last edited:
Daps
I also think part of the problem is the heliocentric play.

Somebody who can do it all, orchestrate and offense and go nuclear from three is too much "superstarring".

It was cool to see players move the ball around and get it to their super star in their sweet spot then watch them create - whether for themselves or others.

Steph Curry bypassed all that and made the entire half court the sweet spot. Then everyone copied.
It was a spectacle when one player did it. Now it's a ho-hum that everyone is.
Again, too much "superstarring".

Instead of the team setting it up for them, they basically are set up the second they get the ball inbounded.

Someone can argue that Jokic and Embiid need some setup (we've seen Jokic that the ball up off inbounds) but the rest of their team plays the same way anyways like other NBA teams: when they kick out, shoot threes.
Watching some guy go one and one is fukking lame and I’m glad todays nba is more team oriented while also maximizing the ability of their star player

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LA
Watching some guy go one and one is fukking lame and I’m glad todays nba is more team oriented while also maximizing the ability of their star player

It may seem that way but someone dominating the ball as soon as it inbounds to them and throwing dimes or putting up logo threes isn't quite team ball, it's a one man show with shooters on standby.

Not really all different from the way it used to be played, but with more high percentage shooting from the primary ballhandler more than ever.

Last edited:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LA
In the NFL a QB that can throw from the pocket, scramble for yards and throw dimes on the run is 100% dominant in the same fashion as a Steph Curry, Luka, Jokic, etc. A playmaker on the run who is additionally a precise QB signal caller from the pocket is a major problem for defenses and defensive coordinators to solve.

However, unlike the NBA you have players who are actively trying to physically take them out. There's a big draw to the game and that kind of play style, it's high-drama and action packed.

You can have all 32 NBA teams in the league playing that way as there are so many good shooters with high BBIQ to run an offense with minimal contact.

However in the NFL even with a league full of phenomenal QB's the question will always be how many will be healthy by the end of the season - which an offensive line has a significant role in playing.

Last edited:
Daps
In the NFL a QB who can throw from the pocket, scramble for yards and throw dimes on the run is 100% dominant in the same fashion as a Steph Curry, Luka, Jokic, etc.

However, unlike the NBA you have players who are actively trying to take them out.

There is risk for a QB every single time they break structure and play make.

You hold your breath when great QB's go into hero mode because there's a chance they may get smacked and it'll be bad.

Fans will put up with that.

There's not the same threat in the NBA: a player can shoot and dominate as soon as they touch the ball. They can have a long career doing that.
shyt, they're hyper-protected by the refs for doing so.

The NFL the refs can't protect players the same. They can throw a flag, but a hit is still a hit and many won't blame a defender for trying to make a play unless it's an intentional dirty hit.
Blame Jordan anyways I’m tired of watching the complaints and yall begging to go back to boring ass basketball that wasn’t enjoyable at all

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
going 19-35 from 2 is easier than going 13-35 from 3..

this is YMCA league right now

Those are both basically the league average percentages from 2 and 3, they are equivalent

There’s nothing stopping a team from playing exactly like the 2003 Spurs and dominating the league if it was that simple

Daps
90s basketball was very enjoyable :mjtf:
:mjlol:

shyt was stagnant and ugly as fukk. Unless you were like a top 5 elite team the basketball was anything but enjoyable.

Humans do this thing where we romanticize the past and that's no more evident than the shytty takes that 90's basketball was better than anything we've seen in the past 20 years (IT WASN'T)

I appreciate Phoenix, Orlando, Golden State and San Antonio for ensuring we'll never have to watch that shyt again

Last edited: