Aaliyah and Beyonce at the 2000 MTV Movie Awards

Dboy41

All Star
Daps
Which is crazy cause In 2000 Beyoncé was bigger than Aaliyah, had #1 hits and a Grammy
False.

Beyonce was bigger with 2+ other women

As a solo brand name she was An interviewer, as shown in this video.

Dboy41

All Star
Daps
nikka what. Beyoncé sung like 95% of all the verses and 90% of all the background vocals. The fukk are you talking about
She was still in a group, thats more marketable than a solo artist, especially in the teen 90’s climate. There were far more successful teen groups than teen solo singers. It was easier to sign groups back then.

Beyonce needed dc, which is why her solo career kept bombing until jay-z intervened. Even kelly was shytting on pre 2003 bey in popularity.

Daps
She was still in a group, thats more marketable than a solo artist.

Beyonce needed dc, which is why her solo career kept bombing until jay-z intervened. Even kelly was shytting on pre 2003 bey in popularity.

Okay :russ:

If kelly was more popular why did they pick Beyoncé to star in Austin powers gold member. A movie that did 300 mil at the box office.

Y’all got it though

• Dap
Reactions: No1

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Destinys Childs was bigger than Aaliyah in 2000. But Beyonce as a solo artist wasn’t. She was seen as a risky solo artist for awhile, which is why she was attaching herself to so many features in her early solo career until she finally hit it big with Sean Paul and Jay Z. But that was after flopping on 50 Cent and Amil singles.

Group success doesn’t automatically equal solo success.

Atlrocafella

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, Georgia
She was still in a group, thats more marketable than a solo artist, especially in the teen 90’s climate. There were far more successful teen groups than teen solo singers. It was easier to sign groups back then.

:laff: nicca you must be on cocaine!!! Gtfoh with this troll bullshyt.

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Alright, I'm in for the fukkery.. Who's gon hate first :pachaha:

Timeline got me fukked

What I remember is..

Aaliyah on top
Aaliyah dies -- Void in female RnB (Besides Alicia Keys)
Lisa Lopes dies -- Death of RnB Girl Groups besides Destiny's Child
Ashanti blows up a quick sec
Beyonce basically ditches Destiny's Child
Ciara blows up a quick sec
Beyonce on top
Rihanna joins Beyonce

I ain't even tryna hate on Beyonce cuz she got drive, but that decade was brutal. I don't like her music like that. But the fact that she made it through all that chaos is amazing. Now ain't damn near nobody left to oppose her.. Shyt this video is something else...to think it's been 20 years, no one could have told me this shyt back in the day.. Hell Aaliyah fam still got feelings fukking around not even letting people use her music, all shyt all topsy turby :dame:

Another wild thing people forget is that at first Beyonce's biggest fans were the gay dudes. I know people clown now and say only women and gay men like her or that is what the Hive is made up of, but i remember distinctly back then it was more pronounced with gay dudes.

Early in her solo career even around 2006/2007 she was still hated by alot of Black women and they wanted her out. Even Tariq Nasheed spoke on the hate she got during those days :dead: Nowadays she gets hate as everyone else but she gets more love from black women now. Same thing happened with Rihanna. For some reason black women hate at the beginning then start showing love

Beyonce got loved by Black women after Sasha Fierce/Single Ladies and supporting the Obamas

Ciara and Ashanti are the unlucky ones because they fell apart before they could get the same love. It took Ciara leaving Future's bum ass for them to like her but musically she didn't get to that period

This is the Tariq video

Daps
Where is this wild idea Jay was with aaliyah? Never even seen them in a picture together

hqdefault.jpg

images

fallback

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In 2000 Aaliyah was a little bigger due to Try Again, I don't wanna and Romeo Must Die. By 2001 though before Aaliyah's death Beyonce became bigger.

Dboy41

All Star
Daps
Okay :russ:

If kelly was more popular why did they pick Beyoncé to star in Austin powers gold member. A movie that did 300 mil at the box office.

Y’all got it though
Same reason why Kelly was casted in Freddy vs Jason and had a hit single while Beyonce couldnt get a hit until “crazy in love”

Yall think beyonce was the same in the 90’s as she is now. shyt wasnt like that.