Airlines are lobbying for a change to federal regulations that could put one pilot in the cockpit

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Planes can pretty much take off and land on their own now..
Nah. Not buying this. If the single pilot on the plane has a seizure i garuntee you that plane will be landing itself straight into a mountainside.

Why is there pilot shortage though. I thought it was a highly paid career
takes too long to train new people and the airlines fired, furloughed, or retired most of their pilots during covid. Flight school is 3.5 years and it takes an extra 2 years for them to get their required flight hours, even after school. Its no better for military kats who gotta give 6+ years in a contract also.

So it will be 2026 by the time they make up for the pilots they list from covid in 2021

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM

Airlines saved an immense amount of money over the past couple decades in training and recruitment by damn near exclusively hiring retired military pilots from the Vietnam war on through Desert Storm.

With the drop in wars and therefore military pilots the airlines have not had a steady stream of pre-trained labor to pull from. It’s a crisis they saw coming 20 years ago.

All those former military pilots are retiring and now the airlines are now poaching pilots from each other because they don’t want to invest in training people off the street. It’s expensive and time consuming to train people themselves. Covid only sped up this ticking time bomb called retirement.

Last edited:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
that's so incredibly dangerous, but our government loves grabbing their ankles for the airlines. crazy how much higher the standards are for passenger treatment in other countries

edit: yall talking about pilots dying, i'm worried about a pilot having a hard day, going through a rough patch or depressed bombing a plane into the ground cuz there's no one else in the cockpit to at least attempt to counter them

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
I don't know the turnover rate but I thought they got most of they pilots from retired military pilots.

I know you need a bacheolors degree and alot of money to become a pilot.

They shouldn't lower the testing to become a pilot but it's bullshyt like having to have a bachelor degree and having to spend $200k or more to acvrue your flight hours.

Gotta be a better way to train pilots...

Being a pilot is many people dream..it just doesn't seem realistic. Having to do college then finding the money to train.

You gotta REALLY want it....but REALLY WANT IT isn't cutting it....we need the 'REALLY Want it but don't got the money' type people training too to fill in the ranks.

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
They should just subsidize pilot training. I swear we never address problems with the most obvious solutions.

And what kind of insurance would underwrite a commercial jet with 1 pilot?

:whoa: Flying hours are expensive af B, regardless of what airframe you're on. :francis:

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
False

I know someone in pilot school and he told me the only thing pilots have to focus on is taking off and landing. Once they’re cruising, it’s all about communication.

Correct. Most airframes with autopilot will handle everything except the critical phases of flight.

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Seems like every transportation related job is having shortages.

Maybe one reason is Airline Pilot isn't an Monday to Friday, 9-5 job. You would be working Weekends and Holidays, etc. People wanna turn up on the weekends with their friends, can't do that when your days off are in the middle of the week :pachaha: