AITA for not buying a birthday gift for my coworker?

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
I started working as a tutor at an elementary school a couple months ago. I work a total of 50 hours a week (I help run the after-school program) and I get paid minimum wage:francis:.

My workplace have a "birthday buddies" thing where we're matched with other tutors in my company and we have to buy them a gift on their birthday from their wish list. A month ago, I got matched with one of my coworkers but I forgot to buy her a gift. She never mentioned it to me and everything seemed fine. Then a few days later, my boss pulled me aside and told me that my coworker was upset that I didn't buy her a gift. I told my boss, I'll get it when I can. Fast forward to this Friday and my boss texted me after work saying that I needed to buy her a gift by Monday and I should try to apologize to her for forgetting:why:.

I kinda don't want to buy her a gift. I feel like it's doing too much for pretty much a stranger. I'm there to work and then go home. And I don't give a fukk if she didn't buy me a gift on my birthday. Her wish list includes birria soup, jewelry, press on nails, and stuffed animals. I told my friends about this and they said they not paying me enough to do all that and the job in general it's not worth it and I should quit. Only reason I haven't quit yet is that I grown attached to the kids I tutor and have in my after-school program and I feel guilty leaving. But the long hours, low pay, and constant snitching by my coworkers (my boss came to me about complaints about me from other coworkers a few times) is making me frustrated. So am I the a$$hole?

Lord Quas

Pro
Daps
I think it’s weird that you have to buy people stuff on their birthday, but I would do it and hope she burns her tongue on the hot birria soup :pachaha:and move on with my life.…

All you’re doing is making your already stressful job, harder on yourself. If you can afford to leave, leave, if you can’t, well, it’s in your best interest to not alienate your coworkers…and seeing as you don’t want to leave, why cut your nose to spite your face..? Just so you can say you stood by your principles? I’d say learn to pick your battles instead :manny:

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
I think it’s weird that you have to buy people stuff on their birthday, but I would do it and hope she burns her tongue on the hot birria soup :pachaha:and move on with my life.…

All you’re doing is making your already stressful job, harder on yourself. If you can afford to leave, leave, if you can’t, well, it’s in your best interest to not alienate your coworkers…and seeing as you don’t want to leave, why cut your nose to spite your face..? Just so you can say you stood by your principles? I’d say learn to pick your battles instead :manny:
Good point. I'll stop by Walmart and get her something

MR. SNIFLES

**** YOU THUNDAAAAAAAAAAH
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
BUY THE GIFT AND THEN EXCUSE YOURSELF FROM FUTURE FESTIVITIES.

WE DO SECRET SANTA EVERY YEAR BUT EVERYBODY HAS THE OPTION TO EXCUSE YOURSELF. NOBODY SHOULD BE FORCED.

DON'T NUKE YOUR JOB FOR SOMETHING SO TRIVIAL.

I WOULD PULL THE PERSON TO THE SIDE AND APOLOGIZE FOR THE PRESENT. HIT HER WITH A GIFT CARD AND APOLOGY. MAKE SURE THEY UNDERSTAND IT WASN'T PERSONAL. THEN KEEP IT MOVING.

EAT LUNCH WITH THEN ONCE OR TWICE AND IT WILL BE WATER UNDER A BRIDGE.