Hawaiian Punch

umop-apisdn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The I in Team
image57.png

:feedme:

I read before about thorium reactors and how they are much safer than the current uranium ones. Problem is thorium is a decay product of uranium and thus produces less energy. Does it? It seems like there is conflicting reports.

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
Hawaiian Punch said:
I read before about thorium reactors and how they are much safer than the current uranium ones. Problem is thorium is a decay product of uranium and thus produces less energy. Does it? It seems like there is conflicting reports.

No. Thorium is a naturally-occurring radioactive element. Artificial isotopes of thorium are manufactured and/or come from decaying radioactive materials.

It's Elemental - The Element Thorium

thorium_reserves.jpg

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
You're being disingenuous.

Japan got hit with an unprecedented earthquake and tsunamis. Engineers take that into account from now on. That's been the history of engineering.

Also, I do live by a nuclear power plant so stop with the deflecting.

Turkey Point Nuclear Generating Station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bring some facts to the table instead of weak arguments based on fear

- :huhldup: ...... You right nothing to worry about.........but god forbid mother nature calls it out.........you going stay in your comfortable home near it..... :sas2: ... I don't think so....

- Yes, equate fear mongering to be concerned about plumes of radiation brehs..... :comeon:

Tell that to the Navy folks suing Tepco for a couple of billion dollars........they just having fun out there right?? U.S. Sailors refiled their radiation exposure lawsuit against Fukushima - National Top News | Examiner.com

- Just b/se the cable MSM ain't talking about Fukushima anymore, doesn't mean there isn't some nasty stuff related to this event still occurring....

- They don't even know what to to do with the waste, and when they do get something like a facility,....check out what's happening in New Mexico at the WIPP underground facility.......let me guess you didn't hear about that either :sas1:...... New Mexico nuclear waste site halts shipments of toxic materials to Texas| Reuters

- Or the ridiculous birth defects they calling random in Washington state ............... near the Hanford waste disposal site... Rare Birth Defects Still Spiking in Washington State - NBC News

- ^^^ I'll let yall take a look at those links, and then tell me I'm fear mongering..........educating is the new fear mongering :wow: ............the whole life cycle from extraction to waste disposal is one big clusterfuuck..... sorry brehs..

Last edited:

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
lol, humans are fukkin stupid....:russ: :snoop:
That's why I'm glad that if there really are aliens, they NEVER come here.

The energy issue (and thus the pollution from it) is largely a man made issue that is easily solved with solar power, since the earth and humanity will be gone for millions of years before the sun even begins to begin to begin to begin to burn out.

We should be investing in ways to maximize the amount of solar energy that the earth is bombarded with on a daily basis, but unfortunately, the gas and oil industry ain't having any of that.

If the US was smart they would institute a program where every year, the amount of subsidies for the oil and gas companies shrink by a tiny by purposeful amount, while the subsidies for the solar and solar energy technology companies increase by that amount. Eventually it would become so profitable for them to innovate and compete for the biggest advances in the science, that they would have no choice but to abandon this wasteful and harmful shyt that we're doing to ourselves.

Then again I'm sure...a certain...subsection of this country :sas1:

Would come up with a reason :sas2:

As to why we should'nt do this :wbfb:

Last edited:

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
:huhldup: ...... You right nothing to worry about.........but god forbid mother nature calls it out.........you going stay in your comfortable home near it..... :sas2: ... I don't think so....

Yes, equate fear mongering to be concerned about plumes of radiation brehs..... :comeon:

Tell that to the Navy folks suing Tepco for a couple of billion dollars........they just having fun out there right?? U.S. Sailors refiled their radiation exposure lawsuit against Fukushima - National Top News | Examiner.com

Just b/se the cable MSM ain't talking about Fukushima anymore, doesn't mean there isn't some nasty stuff related to this event still occurring....

They don't even know what to to do with the waste, and when they do you get something like a facility, check out what's happening in New Mexico. WIPP .......let me guess you didn't hear about that :sas1:...... New Mexico nuclear waste site halts shipments of toxic materials to Texas| Reuters

Or the ridiculous birth defects they calling random in Washington state ............... near the Hanford waste disposal site... Rare Birth Defects Still Spiking in Washington State - NBC News

^^^ I'll let yall take a look at those links, and then me I'm fear mongering....the whole life cycle from extraction to waste disposal is one big clusterfuuck..... sorry brehs..

All types of wild s

Bring some facts to the table instead of weak arguments based on fear

1) Why do you format your posts in such a retarded manner? It makes it so hard to follow at times.

2) It seems you're implying that I don't think radiation is serious or has detrimental effects. It does. No one here is arguing that.

3) You have to take into account all statistics, not only those that suit your agenda. What is the probability of failure? How many people have died or have been exposed, and was it due to response or uncontrolled event? Where there engineering failures that can be improved?

The truth is most people are significantly more exposed to radiation from bananas and the sun than nuclear plants.

newworldafro

Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
1) Why do you format your posts in such a retarded manner? It makes it so hard to follow at times.

2) It seems you're implying that I don't think radiation is serious or has detrimental effects. It does. No one here is arguing that.

3) You have to take into account all statistics, not only those that suit your agenda. What is the probability of failure? How many people have died or have been exposed, and was it due to response or uncontrolled event? Where there engineering failures that can be improved?

The truth is most people are significantly more exposed to radiation from bananas and the sun than nuclear plants.

Yes, but a boatload of bananas won't make your city or region uninhabitable on the chance they go rotten... :ohlawd: ... your rebuttals breh :dwillhuh:"

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
That's why I'm glad that if there really are aliens, they NEVER come here.

The energy issue (and thus the pollution from it) is largely a man made issue that is easily solved with solar power, since the earth and humanity will be gone for millions of years before the sun even begins to begin to begin to begin to burn out.

We should be investing in ways to maximize the amount of solar energy that the earth is bombarded with on a daily basis, but unfortunately, the gas and oil industry ain't having any of that.

If the US was smart they would institute a program where every year, the amount of subsidies for the oil and gas companies shrink by a tiny by purposeful amount, while the subsidies for the solar and solar energy technology companies increase by that amount. Eventually it would become so profitable for them to innovate and compete for the biggest advances in the science, that they would have no choice but to abandon this wasteful and harmful shyt that we're doing to ourselves.

Then again I'm sure...a certain...subsection of this country :sas1:

Would come up with a reason :sas2:

As to why we shoud'nt do this :wbfb:

The ultimate irony in all of it is that most advances in solar/wind are done by these large energy conglomerates. They know damn well that one day the time will come and they don't want to be left behind so they invest heavily into it. But it cannot be in the hands. They have a clear conflict of interest and they will push to use fossil fuels until it is not longer possible or feasible, the environment and cheap energy be damned. Then they will monopolize solar and wind energy and charge us the same amount or more for renewables. In the meantime, they will lobby and push their propaganda to buy them time. These companies aren't stupid. It reminds me of the Cosmos episode about lead in gasoline. The energy companies fought against regulations for 3 decades, all while people were being exposed to lead at great harm. They knew about the health issues but profit goes above all in their eyes.

That's why I support a New Green Deal. The governments have to take charge and train, educate and fund a massive 2 decades long transition away from fossil fuels.

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
Yes, but a boatload of bananas won't make your city or region uninhabitable on the chance they go rotten... :ohlawd: ... your rebuttals breh :dwillhuh:"

The sun will. You keep pumping CO2 into the atmosphere and you'll see exactly what the Sun will do. The ozone layers is shielding us from massive radiation and it barely suffices. Nuclear plants produce steam and water vapor. The waste can be managed properly.

Like I said, before you deflect again, I support 100% transition to solar, wind and hydro energy but we will need nuclear power to make that happen. The engineering isn't in place yet to transition the entire planet solely to solar/wind/hydro.

newworldafro

Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
The sun will. You keep pumping CO2 into the atmosphere and you'll see exactly what the Sun will do. The ozone layers is shielding us from massive radiation and it barely suffices. Nuclear plants produce steam and water vapor. The waste can be managed properly.

Like I said, before you deflect again, I support 100% transition to solar, wind and hydro energy but we will need nuclear power to make that happen. The engineering isn't in place yet to transition the entire planet solely to solar/wind/hydro.

That's if you buy all you've been sold, I'm saying its more complex than what your told..... climate always changes, but pollution is real............all types of fun stuff being experimented on in the atmosphere all over the world..not tinfoilery ...its fact....they make it rain Dubai cause they play with aerosols, etc..... its a lot of stuff that doesn't get discussed in the MSM......
Playing with nook fire in the mean time is not the way to go....imho..... :yeshrug: ...

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks

newworldafro

Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
More people have died as a result of sitting in the Sun too long as opposed to nuclear power plant accidents since the 1950's.......

Nuclear power plant accidents: listed, visualised and ranked since 1952 | World news | theguardian.com

If they used Thorium as opposed to Uranium, the accidents wouldn't have been nearly as detrimental.

I've heard that......................................but take a a real GOOD guess why they say uranium was PICKED over thorium ............... :sas1: :sas2:

1396743948578.gif