Antarctic ice sheet collapse now unstoppable say scientists. :-/

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
They are talking about sea levels going up in 200 to 500 years. We're going to be gone and so is the next generation after us before American coastal cities become like Venice. It's okay to buy coastal property right now. :manny: You'll be dead before it goes underwater.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Too easy a cop-out breh, developped countries have been polluting heavily for decades now, too easy to point the finger at emerging countries now as sole culprits.

Dirty deeds: The world's biggest polluters by country | GlobalPost

3 out of 5 of the biggest polluters are not emerging economies. US became second only in 2006.
Im not blaming emerging economies. My point was that even if we scale back our use of oil and gas, countries like China will be there to step in and grow their consumption, especially if prices fall on weak western demand. The entire world needs to rethink the way we power our lives, not just the US.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
This means what exactly. they're going to have to push beach front property back 10 feet?

More like, major cities on the coast or at sea level are going to need huge sea walls or it's a wrap for them.

5_12_14_andrew_florida10feetfullwidth2.png

A 10 foot raise in sea levels around the world is massive.

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
More like, major cities on the coast or at sea level are going to need huge sea walls or it's a wrap for them.

5_12_14_andrew_florida10feetfullwidth2.png

A 10 foot raise in sea levels around the world is massive.
I wonder if this is acutally true.

Maybe they should just punch a hole in the bottom of the ocean and drain the water into the earth. :blessed: Wow i think i just saved the planet friend?

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
I wonder if this is acutally true.

Maybe they should just punch a hole in the bottom of the ocean and drain the water into the earth. :blessed: Wow i think i just saved the planet friend?

It's true, it's pretty just simple math for them to determine coastal flooding based on a sea level rise.

Punch a hole in the ocean? Friend what if they release Cloverfield, Godzilla, Kaijus or Cthulhu?

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Im not blaming emerging economies. My point was that even if we scale back our use of oil and gas, countries like China will be there to step in and grow their consumption, especially if prices fall on weak western demand. The entire world needs to rethink the way we power our lives, not just the US.

I hear you, but I ain't asking anything from emerging countries before the US and the EU as a whole get their shyt together, since their economic success is largely based on intensive use of natural resources and huge pollution. Too easy for them to enjoy that success and tell others what they should do (again).

Daps
Reppin
NYC
I hear you, but I ain't asking anything from emerging countries before the US and the EU as a whole get their shyt together, since their economic success is largely based on intensive use of natural resources and huge pollution. Too easy for them to enjoy that success and tell others what they should do (again).
Of course, but a lot of people point the finger at inaction from Washington and other industrialized nations' governments. Given news like this coming out, there is not much anyone can do at all in the short-term to stop this, even if everyone was on the same page. This problem started a long time time ago and we are starting to see the effects of it now. While it would be somewhat hypocritical to tell a country like China to halt their growth by cutting their expanding use of fossil fuels, this will also be their problem going forward. Tough choices ahead...

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
It's true, it's pretty just simple math for them to determine coastal flooding based on a sea level rise.

Punch a hole in the ocean? Friend what if they release Cloverfield, Godzilla, Kaijus or Cthulhu?
I see, well that didnt look like it was going to far up the coastline friend. I think we'll be ok

Now if punching holes in the earth leads to releasing demons trapped in the center of the planet, we'll just have to train skyscraper sized robot pilots in Brazillian Jiujitsu. :youngsabo:

Something Godzilla knows nothing about, friend.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Of course, but a lot of people point the finger at inaction from Washington and other industrialized nations' governments. Given news like this coming out, there is not much anyone can do at all in the short-term to stop this, even if everyone was on the same page. This problem started a long time time ago and we are starting to see the effects of it now. While it would be somewhat hypocritical to tell a country like China to halt their growth by cutting their expanding use of fossil fuels, this will also be their problem going forward. Tough choices ahead...

That's what you get for being the biggest and most industrialized country in the world. With great power comes great responsibility, you know the deal. I agree that it's everybody's concern, but climate change is already having real-life effects TODAY in Africa, but what exactly can those countries do about it? Not much. The big players can, but imo some (the US and Europe) are much more responsible than others. We can't just act like the US and the EU haven't been polluting at China's level for decades while enjoying the ride and the benefits.

I see what you're saying though, but it's like blaming the latest who got at the party for the mess the others did earlier.

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
Why should I use my tax money to do anything if the biggest polluters don't give a fukk?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's over brehs.

The idea that alternative energy sources such as wind, solar, etc., are an adequate substitute for fossil fuels is a fantasy. As MIT professor Daniel Nocera has shown, even if all known alternative resources plus nuclear power (see below) are tapped to their practical limits, and current fossil fuel consumption stays constant, we’ll barely have enough juice to provide the world’s billions with (on average) a Poland-level lifestyle by 2050.

Yes, nuclear power is one long-term energy source that hasn’t yet been maximized. But in Nocera’s analysis, just to keep up with expected demand over the next 40 years we’d have to open an additional nuclear power plant every two days.

The Straight Dope: Followup: Why don't we ditch nukes <em>and</em> coal?

Daps
Reppin
NYC
It's over brehs.

The idea that alternative energy sources such as wind, solar, etc., are an adequate substitute for fossil fuels is a fantasy. As MIT professor Daniel Nocera has shown, even if all known alternative resources plus nuclear power (see below) are tapped to their practical limits, and current fossil fuel consumption stays constant, we’ll barely have enough juice to provide the world’s billions with (on average) a Poland-level lifestyle by 2050.

Yes, nuclear power is one long-term energy source that hasn’t yet been maximized. But in Nocera’s analysis, just to keep up with expected demand over the next 40 years we’d have to open an additional nuclear power plant every two days.

The Straight Dope: Followup: Why don't we ditch nukes <em>and</em> coal?
Kind of self-serving to assume that there will be no technological advances going forward that can change the equation. There just needs to be a substantial financial commitment to do so.