Any of y'all work remote?

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I just landed an excellent job that will challenge me in my career. I work in Cloud. The great thing besides nearly doubling my salary is that I work remote.

This is a double edge sword for me. Where I came from in my previous company was a Google-esque company. Very engaging and frenetic in a good way. You always had people around you. It was to a point it was almost invasive, but the company culture changed a few years back and now it's being a bit stagnant and has silos.

I still thing going in the office and having the option to work from home on days is great. I'm not sure about the 100% remote thing. I'm a bit scared that I will self isolate myself.I also think that I will be one of the younger guys there being in my early 30s. My last company much of the work force was under 35. So there may be a slight culture shift for me.

The company itself seems very engaging and still much into a start up mode and there will be travel. No doubt about the company. I just feel that remote work will make me go crazy and I won't be able to have a social life. I fear being alone.

What do you guys do to cope with this?

jwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DADE County
I was going to make a thread about this but maybe bumping it will bring more answers since more people are working remote due to Corona Virus.

The silver lining in the pandemic for me was the ability to work remote PERMANENTLY. I just started a remote job as a Treasurer last week. I LOVE IT. It depends on your personality. I'm an Accountant by trade so I don't like to talk much at work. Plus I'm around mostly cacs, so the office environment is lacks culture and is hella corny. The constant chatter at cubicles, B day celebrations, people asking you to go to lunch with them or engage in a nasty pot luck is something I do not miss. Since I'm extremely introverted at work, the remote setting pleases me.

I go to happy hours, I volunteer, go to networking events and over my friends houses to stay social. You will have to adjust your life outside of work to prevent from having a social life.

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
Yes, since last Feb and I'm hoping it remains permanent. I'm in IT and much more efficient not being around the distractions of the office. I don't know how I would ever go back to commuting after this year.

I'm in constant communication with my friends and select co-workers through out the day, so I don't miss the mindless professional small talk with people I really don't care for. And I enjoy the extra 40 minutes of sleep/me time I get every morning by not having to commute.

The Bilingual Gringo

Tucked in to the socks
Supporter
Daps
Got transitioned to essentially full remote since March-ish. I work in sales, but work for a firm that's antiquated regarding remote work and all that. Far too many companies have the idea that you're not working unless you're in the office. I worked in management in my prior gig and it couldn't be further from the truth. A lot of people in my company struggled since they were still old school about being in the office, 2020 was one of the best years I've ever had from a sales standpoint, but I had a lot of technology experience and saw the silver linings.

Not having all of the BS "water cooler" conversations and people not coming into my office is a god send.

You have to focus in on the pluses: no commute time, catch up on odds and ends around the house throughout the day while working (laundry, cleaning, etc.) and these should allow you to enjoy your weekends more for true personal time.

greenvale

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Delaware
Been remote since March, prior to that travel 80% of the week (consulting). Whenever the pandemic situation subsides I'd like to return to the office at least once a week. My team and my client's productivity are really starting to decline due to all the communication barriers.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
I’m in I.T. Working from home as well, I obviously love working from home but I also miss being able to just walk in my managers office and ask for help or have them show me something. That’s really the only negative to me is the communication barriers and feelings of being disconnected.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Been WFH since March like many of us. At my previous company it was fine because I'd been there for a few years and understood my role, objectives etc so I could do the job with my eyes closed. I transitioned to a new job in a new industry in Fall and ramping up remotely has been tough if I'm being honest. Some abstract concepts that would be easily explained in a 5-10 min whiteboard session now take 30 mins.

Also, I miss being able to just walk over to someone's desk/office when I need quick clarification.

Being new, I'm also missing out on forming connections, having in person 1v1s and also going to company related events that'll help me understand the industry better.

I've never been and I don't think I'll ever be an advocate for 100% WFH for most roles. Maybe 3 days in, 2 days out or something like that. I still like getting out of the house to mentally prepare for work. There's also the after work social aspects that are missing with the 100% WFH but that might be due to the pandemic.

Pros
-No commute so I have a little more "me" time during the day
-I cook more often at home
-Saving more on gas and putting less miles on my car

Cons
-Communicating certain topics/ideas can be tough over a digital screen
-It's very easy to get distracted on meetings if you're not speaking
-The days seem just to "blend" into each other. Little to no separation from work and home.
-Creative spark is dulled a bit. Those white-boarding/ideation sessions aren't there anymore
-I do miss some of the social aspects of commuting. I took the train and I'd run into people I knew, or meet new people on my commute. There's also the after work scene in DC, especially during the summer on Thurs/Fri.

Last edited:

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
I was thinking of trying to mitigate the separation of work vs. home by renting an office in one of those co-working/We Work type places in my city. I've seen a couple that are $300-$500 a month for a single office with a view and 24hr access. It'd be a 10-15min walk from my house but idk, trying to preserve cash at the moment and my company doesn't look like they'll go 50/50 on the space.

King Theo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Im a UX Designer. i been working from home for 2 years. My only negative to it i think is not being able to really make yourself known for some work your doing in meetings and things of that sort. but for me i been more productive in my professional and personal life. i dont have to get my day started by going to the gym at 5 am anymore and can go mid day.

the only other negative i can see is if i get a new job and have no option to WFH. being in the office when i know i dont need to is the biggest drain on me. it actually makes me less motivated to get anything done.

im curious to see how companies go in the new covid world going forward and once its less dangerous to have a full office

AZBeauty

Stop lyin' nicca.
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, Il
Been working from home since March, only downside is my lack of attention in meetings. I don't know what the hell is going on most of the time. Meetings on Zooms/Teams aren't really that productive to me because its hard to add input. I eventually tune out but love not commuting, being able to stay home with my kid and being able to help my husband in his construction company. I'm hoping the next few yrs to work with him full time.

jwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DADE County
PROs working at home
Been WFH since March like many of us. At my previous company it was fine because I'd been there for a few years and understood my role, objectives etc so I could do the job with my eyes closed. I transitioned to a new job in a new industry in Fall and ramping up remotely has been tough if I'm being honest. Some abstract concepts that would be easily explained in a 5-10 min whiteboard session now take 30 mins.

Also, I miss being able to just walk over to someone's desk/office when I need quick clarification.

Being new, I'm also missing out on forming connections, having in person 1v1s and also going to company related events that'll help me understand the industry better.

I've never been and I don't think I'll ever be an advocate for 100% WFH for most roles. Maybe 3 days in, 2 days out or something like that. I still like getting out of the house to mentally prepare for work. There's also the after work social aspects that are missing with the 100% WFH but that might be due to the pandemic.

Pros
-No commute so I have a little more "me" time during the day
-I cook more often at home
-Saving more on gas and putting less miles on my car

Cons
-Communicating certain topics/ideas can be tough over a digital screen
-It's very easy to get distracted on meetings if you're not speaking
-The days seem just to "blend" into each other. Little to no separation from work and home.
-Creative spark is dulled a bit. Those white-boarding/ideation sessions aren't there anymore
-I do miss some of the social aspects of commuting. I took the train and I'd run into people I knew, or meet new people on my commute. There's also the after work scene in DC, especially during the summer on Thurs/Fri.

Way too many pros for me. I actually honestly have no Cons. I'm teched out in my office with the best equipment. Got four monitors :mjgrin:

Getting up early to commute and fight traffic literally had me in a shytty mood and the day didn't even start yet. No fake smiles, pointless chatter, none of that at home. The forced engagement piece is literally non existent which something I truly like. I'm way more happy now.
I be getting stuff around the house done. Even be cutting my grass sometimes :pachaha:. The money I save on food and gas is ridiculous. Flexible schedule is pretty nice too. I could even leave my house and work at the pier if I wanted too. There is just so many things you can do, that you can't with being in the office.

You can also cut out early and do the after work scene and be the first person there and not have to fight for a seat.

The days seem to go by much faster also. I remember looking at my computer clock saying its 4:50 pm. Seems like it took a half hour to get to 5pm:mjlol:

I guess depends on what your profession is. I only really communicate by email or messenger. I have to say I this is one of the top things that I've been thankful for in my life. I'm getting a Boston salary living in FL:blessed:

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Been remote since last spring :ahh:

Not looking forward to whenever I have to go back to the office. Hopefully I can be permanently remote at least part-time.