"Are 'URBAN' Public Schools FAILING BLACK Kids Or Is It The Parents?"

Who Are 'FAILING' These Black Kids?

• Total voters

Larry Lambo

Superstar
Daps
To be honest, a lot of it comes from the parents. How many parents are making their kids study and read before allowing any leisure activity, like some of our parents did. How many made sure all their kids homework was done and had relationships with their teachers.

If a parent is not involved in their child's learning and development, that child is doomed to fail, regardless of the quality of the school.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
I believe any one who takes a job in those kind of schools typically wants to be there, the students aren't prepared when they start school and the parents aren't involved enough. :manny:
Even when they hire TFA type teachers they generally have good intentions even if they are naive.

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
How did Dunbar High School in DC prior to the 1970s, produce some of the nation's finest leaders?

28e27de7bbc703b15785dde9168714cf--s-fashion-washington-dc.jpg

Eastwoodjones

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Worth, TX
Both, but one feeds into another:
•School (underfunded and understaffed) produces shytty students
•shytty students become shytty parents/teachers
•who in turn produce more shytty students
•rinse, repeat.

It’s a chicken/egg conundrum.

Rockstar Mom

PhatGurlSwag
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn!!!!!
I went to private AND public school. It’s really on the parents and the child tbh. I excelled in both school settings. My parents didn’t play about school. I couldnt talk on the phone until a certain hour, and couldn’t talk after a certain hour. Zero TV on school nights. Teachers can only do so much.

My son is in an “urban” public and he’s doing great. He’s consistently at the top of his class. I’m think of going the private route for high school, because high school has the most distractions. We’ll see when that time gets here though.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
so you voting republican?

Let me tell you about a story of segregation in Alabama. A recent city in Birmingham, AL won a court case to separate themselves from jefferson county so they wouldn't have to share their income and students with the greater birmingham area. They literally wanted their tax dollars to not go to black communities.

The reason is simple. You ever heard of "broken windows?"

It is a policy cops use that is actually a good policy IN THEORY but it must be done BY THE GOVERNMENT and not the police.

The idea is that if you ignore a broken window, other small things will start to go wrong, and eventually, major issues will arise, but it could have all been stopped by fixing a cheap ass window instead of ignoring it.

That is american public schools IN BLACK COMMUNITIES. Go to a public school in a white district and watch even the POOREST WHITE COMMUNITIES have amazing schools with all the bells and whistles. If you live in the slums, you expect a slum life. All the parenting in the world will not stop a million influencers around you the second you walk out the door. Most people are stupid and followers. Thus, most people will be a product of their environment.

Parenting is the SMALLEST factor in a child's success.
completely disagree with this

In fact it's surprising coming from an artist promoting work that celebrates the power of family.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
School system. Point blank period.

Parents are an ineffective scapegoat.
Students spend 180 days, 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week in school away from their parents. They spend more time in their key developmental years with someone else per week than they do with their parents.

Their personalities, inspirations, aspirations, knowledge, dispositions and so much more are shaped by the school environment. The lessons you learn from school are far different from your home and in a lot of cases more pervasive. I've seen kids from great families go through a school system and fail.

Your origin is not your destiny. People move across the country and across continents for access to education b/c it's that important.

There have been changes in our educational system that has rendered it toxic and useless for most students primarily male students.

1.)The shift from trades to overemphasis on higher ed.,
2.) shift from authentic learning experiences to overemphasis on test-taking and kill and drill instructional methods,
3.) elimination of the arts, issues with cultural incongruency from having all white female teachers instructing blk kids,
4.) defunding high needs schools,
5.) nepotism in electing principals and school leadership,
6.) racist rezoning laws...
7.) lack of culturally responsive curriculum...
8.) adoption of ineffective teaching methods and pedagogy in high need schools. (I.e. Shift from decoding and building phonemic awareness in students to having them memorize sight words---well guess what happens when Bobby runs into a word like "impecunious" and he doesn't know how to sound it out.)

I hate having these discussions because none of the shyt above gets mentioned b/c people just like trying to feel superior to poor hard working parents who do love and support their kids and send them to school expecting them to receive real training, but all their kids get is worksheets and told to shut up.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
If I had it to do all over again................I'd o to a private high school. My school was a mixed school with BOTH White and Black kids. However, even though I was an honors student I feel that I got shytted out of so much by my highschool.

private or mixed school doesnt make a damn difference...i went to a mixed high school and was a honors student

my grades in HS got me my full scholarship (among many other scholarship offers) which led to me getting a bachelors followed by receving a MBA which led to this IT life that im 15 years in

you're just making excuses for failure..no one that i know that was an honors student in HS is doing bad :heh: