‘As a white mother to a mixed race child, I couldn’t cope with my daughter’s hair’

Quasi

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Africa, center of the world.

‘As a white mother to a mixed race child, I couldn’t cope with my daughter’s hair’
280517STEOneD01-xxlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq252rFcvam8uLHGp6vu5fy3YFsVxp1u1yfCqIszxyF8s.jpg

Charlotte with daughter Freiya and son Marcel​
  • Charlotte Oleson
26 MAY 2017 • 9:00 AM

When my daughter was tiny, her hair was easy to brush and plait. But as Freiya, now five, grew older and her hair grew thicker, longer and coarser, I had no idea how to handle her shock of magnificent curls. As a white mother to a mixed-race child (my husband is a British-born Sierra Leonean) I simply had no clue. And it showed.

Most days Freiya’s hair looked brittle, wiry and frizzy. But worst of all, she began to resent it. She’d tell me she wished she had a long blonde braid ‘like Elsa’ in Frozen, which of course broke my heart. I felt so ill-equipped to handle this issue of identity brought on by her hair.

She’d cry as I would try to comb it and the ritual became traumatic for both of us. I began to dread it and her hair would end up looking like a bird’s nest. Black women would stop me in the street to suggest products and, though I’m sure they meant well, it made me feel ashamed – like I was failing my daughter.

I grew up in a small town in Denmark and never knew any black or mixed-race people. I met my husband in 2003 and after two years in Copenhagen, we moved to London. It was only when I became pregnant, eight years later, that I first became aware of the issues surrounding black hair – my husband’s family would joke that I should pray for a boy so I could keep the hair short.

Doing Freiya’s hair continued to be stressful until a chance encounter on the Underground brought me to Keisha Omilana. I don’t make a habit of speaking to strangers, but I was so struck by Keisha and her two-year-old daughter Diora’s full, luscious Afro curls, I mustered the guts to ask for some advice. We were mid-conversation when we arrived at Keisha’s stop, but she told me to find her on Facebook.

I wrote to Keisha and as we lived close by and had daughters of a similar age, we decided to meet up. Keisha has since become a close friend and has taught me so much about how to treat Freiya’s hair. For example, that I don’t need to wash it every day – too much shampooing was making her hair dry. Instead, I should use lots of conditioner. Her curls now look healthier and combing it is less painful – both physically for Freiya and emotionally for me.

280517STEOneD02_trans%2B%2BKNENsuaHNV4fRrx0bLkVU79t1Pg2VDixv7okYcOWKLU.jpg

Keisha Omilana CREDIT: GETTY​
I have always made an effort to tell my daughter how beautiful her hair is and how much I love her curls, but when the daily routine was so difficult and her two best friends (and her mum) have Caucasian hair, I don’t think the message ever sunk in. But Keisha and Diora have given Freiya two great role models. It has also inspired Keisha to start a workshop to help mums like me bring out the best in Afro hair.

What made the biggest impression on Freiya however, was discovering that Keisha was married to a real Nigerian prince and seeing pictures of her in photo shoots – she is a former hair model. Now Freiya loves her curls and realises you don’t need to have long, straight hair like Elsa to look like a princess.

Quasi

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Your pawgs brehs
Lol right.. she didn't even hide the fact that her whole family racist af too.. essentially said ''pray for a boy because you might actually have to do some work as a mother otherwise'' :hhh: this clearly shows how differently they view Black Boys vs Girls too. Less needing of care/attention even from childhood, despite being their flesh and blood

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
Here's where I'm stuck cuz I don't know shyt about women's hair.

But I do know if I had a daughter whose hair I'm responsible for then an hour of Youtube Tutorials will help me figure shyt out.

I don't get the discord and not being able to find out when she literally typed this article on the same box that can resolve her issue

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Lol right.. she didn't even hide the fact that her whole family racist af too.. essentially said ''pray for a boy because you might actually have to do some work as a mother otherwise'' :hhh: this clearly shows how differently they view Black Boys vs Girls too. Less needing of care/attention even from childhood, despite being their flesh and blood
The husbands family told her that, probably cause they knew a cac couldnt raise a black girl.

Colicat

Docile & dominant @ the same damn time
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Adjacent to the King

But I do know if I had a daughter whose hair I'm responsible for then an hour of Youtube Tutorials will help me figure shyt out.

I don't get the discord and not being able to find out when she literally typed this article on the same box that can resolve her issue

Hell she could have taken the daughter to a Black salon and let one of the women there explain how to do upkeep....

This trick had no real interest in Blackness and raising a Black child.

Quasi

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

Yup.. exactly this. It's that same #Inherent perspective they have on Black bodies in general that's trickling in to her parenting.

ChatGPT-4

Superstar
Daps
Glad she took the initiative to help her daughter out, now if more women could follow suit instead of braiding their daughters hair super tight, relaxing it, damaging it, and then cutting it over and over and over before setting a hot comb too it.

She saw a sista with healthy natural full hair and asked for her regiment, take note.

Now a days with all these youtube videos there's no excuse anymore. It shouldn't be impossible to keep up, sistas are rare to where they can literally come up with hundreds of styles, clean, wild big, short, long, don't even try that "but but my profession, my boss he wont..." :camby: there's so many styles you can find one that will work for your environment. It should be fun to do your hair, not a task.

King of Creampies

Hop in. You coming too!
Daps
Reppin
Wild Hunt
I don't really see any harm in what the woman is saying as she REALLY isn't familiar with it....but she is actually making an EFFORT to understand and make her daughter look right. :ehh:

When my sister married her husband who is a Cac amongst Cac's...corny and all that....I had to TEACH him how to do my nieces hair when she was growing up...he wasn't used to it nor could understand it...:ehh:

Once I spent weekends teaching him what to do he got it. :hubie:but then again I am not having kids so I don't have to deal with this shyt. :troll:

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i get so tired of these liberal interracial think pieces....bytch know how to comb her mulatto mongrow kids hair...she just want a pat on the head and seen as progressive for deciding to let a Mandingo buck with a BBC dump a load inside of her

same with these bedwenches also talking about race and IR dating...bytch aint nobody black or white thinking about u sucking white dikk and taking cac loads in your butt