Black Real Estate Developers -"our money is not as impactful w/ politicians'

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
These guys basically said bootstraps.

Get money.

Get Power. by getting elected or elect ppl that have policies to help you further.

then that Gets Respect.

But shouldn't we just wait on the white man to give us a kick start?

Good video

360dagod

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SAN ANTONIO SPURS NY DIVISION
I see it in my own city. I know it's a lot of foreign investment and money from NYC flooding real estate development but damn how is a majority black city mostly being gentrified by white (and asian) developers
With black city councilmen standing around , blocking black people like me from buying vacant lots in the city, but somehow these cacs getting them :scust:

These politicians getting political sponsoring money on the front end and "gifts" on the backend...

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
That story is dope. Mayor Woodfin looks like someone we needed in Chicago:martin:

Woodfin is actually following some of what your old mayor was doing.

wp-1492407492384.jpg

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
So I’m halfway in…
Couple of salient points:

Marion Barry set the table for a lot of this

DC was/is the mecca for Black opportunity and economic empowerment

Have to watch for myself, but DC being the capital of Black opportunity & economic empowerment?
???????
When? The early 20th century?

NYC, Chicago, and Atlanta have been those places during the last 75 years.

Last edited:

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Have to watch the video, but when was DC

Have to watch for myself, but DC being the capital of Black opportunity & economic empowerment?
???????
When? The early 20th century?

NYC, Chicago, and Atlanta have been those places during the last 75 years.

Feels like a weird question.

DC had top tier Black schools, politicians, access to Capitol Hill, and the Gold Coast. To this day we’re the wealthiest Black area and have turned PG County into one of the wealthiest suburbs.

The developer in the video, Don Peebles, was literally mentored and given his first job by Mayor Barry.

And no disrespect but ATL and CHI have never had the cache that DC had as Chocolate City.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Feels like a weird question.

DC had top tier Black schools, politicians, access to Capitol Hill, and the Gold Coast. To this day we’re the wealthiest Black area and have turned PG County into one of the wealthiest suburbs.

The developer in the video, Don Peebles, was literally mentored and given his first job by Mayor Barry.

And no disrespect but ATL and CHI have never had the cache that DC had as Chocolate City.
I watched the full video .His comment was that at the time being discussed, that DC and Atlanta were the centers of Black Economic empowerment . He's talking early 1980s with Barry and Maynard Jackson leading those cities. I'll buy it.
I think what distinguishes the two cities are the makeups of their Black middle classes. In metro DC, I feel that it's largely public sector/government. Metro Atlanta has that, Blacks in corporate, and a large segment of entrepreneurs.
All directly tied to the efforts of Maynard Jackson to attract and cultivate all three groups.

Overall a good video

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I watched the full video .His comment was that at the time being discussed, that DC and Atlanta were the centers of Black Economic empowerment . He's talking early 1980s with Barry and Maynard Jackson leading those cities. I'll buy it.
I think what distinguishes the two cities are the makeups of their Black middle classes. In metro DC, I feel that it's largely public sector/government. Metro Atlanta has that, Blacks in corporate, and a large segment of entrepreneurs.
All directly tied to the efforts of Maynard Jackson to attract and cultivate all three groups.

Overall a good video

And yeah.. it’s more about the Black politicians of the 80s-90s opening it up. I’m sure Dinkins and Doug Wilder’s constituents would say the same. All of those guys were Black first, Democrats second.

Which tracks with how The Coli feels about the modern Black political class not doing ‘anything.’

right or wrong…

kovi

All Star
Daps
I see it in my own city. I know it's a lot of foreign investment and money from NYC flooding real estate development but damn how is a majority black city mostly being gentrified by white (and asian) developers
With black city councilmen standing around , blocking black people like me from buying vacant lots in the city, but somehow these cacs getting them :scust:

Where at?