Brazil’s 2018 Election: Bolsonaro defeats Haddad to become President of Brazil

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Lula and his party did bring millions of Brazilians out of absolute poverty with little effort. I wouldn't say his tenure was a disaster given those real accomplishments. Of course the party was corrupt but corruption is endemic in Brazilian (and more generally South American) politics and not exclusive to the left.
Of course South American conservatives are much better at associating corruption with the more left-leaning parties.

I'm aware of that, I also believe he got affirmative action type policies on the books that granted black and native populations a more equal playing field and many other progressive policies along that line. That's amazing feat especially in a country like Brazil.

I never said it's exclusive to the left. I think I remember the Petrobras scandal and Car Wash extending to both parties.

That said I won't absolve them and here we find ourselves today.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Oh look at you being cute. Thinking supporting intervention into Venezuela makes you pro black.:mjlol: Lol bruh you support Zionist Israel over the Palestinians and black Israelis.:mjlol:

Overthrowing a government is easy but replacing is the hard part. Ok you remove Maduro what happens to the hundreds of armed collectivos and Chávezista Bolivarian militias who are heavily armed? You think the violence and chaos gets better? As we seen in Iraq,Libya,Yemen and a lesser extent Syria that when the central government is overthrown you have more chaos and infighting. Best believe the same will happen in Venezuela. And who do you replace Maduro with? The military is vastly corrupt. The supergamgs in Venezuela will get stronger as collectivos and pro Chávez miltia men joint their ranks which will worsen the security situation as they will match the military firepower to firepower. I don't see how an American and Brazilian intervention would help to stop the chaos and poverty currently plaging Venezuela. Trump and Bolsonaro just aren't competent enough to solve such problems. Hey but you trust a Trump/Bolsonaro/Duque lead invasion into Venezuela will turn the nation back to the Swiss of South America again. Nothing could possibly go wrong. And regarding the Sunni children in Iraq the US bombed Mosul to the stone age killing plenty Sunnis so does that makes them anti Sunni. Your whole foreign policy steez is America first and America does no wrong and America is the best just like white conservatives.

You swallowed the same bs thekingsmen and neworldafro did all these years and don't even realize it.

lol at bringing up Palestine and Zionism. You're an idiot.

lol at your paragraph of strawmen

Last edited:

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
The general read seems to be that their corruption trials tainted all the traditional parties and tanked their support. So only a dude way outside of the political spectrum and not associated with the trials could be a viable anti-PT candidate.

There was another non-fascist outsider in the 2014 elections, Eduardo Campos. He died in a plane crash during the campaign :jbhmm:

PT is corrupt and so is PSDB but Bolsonaro is like drinking rat poison to kill a tapeworm.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Brazil has unfortunately also had a section of the population in love with the idea of autocracy. Getulio Vargas had a big support during his dictatorship in the 30s-50s and even during democracy there was a referendum on bringing back the monarchy (Brazil is the only western hemispheric country to have had a king). The failures of the PT and corruption exposed of Michel Temer and others made the feeling mainstream.

My problem though is not that Lava Jato prosecuted corruption but it seems they may have left certain people untouched which helps Bolsonaro's backers.

• Dap
Reactions: 19-

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Oh look at you being cute. Thinking supporting intervention into Venezuela makes you pro black.:mjlol: Lol bruh you support Zionist Israel over the Palestinians and black Israelis.:mjlol:

Overthrowing a government is easy but replacing is the hard part. Ok you remove Maduro what happens to the hundreds of armed collectivos and Chávezista Bolivarian militias who are heavily armed? You think the violence and chaos gets better? As we seen in Iraq,Libya,Yemen and a lesser extent Syria that when the central government is overthrown you have more chaos and infighting. Best believe the same will happen in Venezuela. And who do you replace Maduro with? The military is vastly corrupt. The supergamgs in Venezuela will get stronger as collectivos and pro Chávez miltia men joint their ranks which will worsen the security situation as they will match the military firepower to firepower. I don't see how an American and Brazilian intervention would help to stop the chaos and poverty currently plaging Venezuela. Trump and Bolsonaro just aren't competent enough to solve such problems. Hey but you trust a Trump/Bolsonaro/Duque lead invasion into Venezuela will turn the nation back to the Swiss of South America again. Nothing could possibly go wrong. And regarding the Sunni children in Iraq the US bombed Mosul to the stone age killing plenty Sunnis so does that makes them anti Sunni. Your whole foreign policy steez is America first and America does no wrong and America is the best just like white conservatives.

As fukked as Venezuela is I could see that being the Syria of the Western hemisphere if anyone invades. It won't be easy, the Russians and Chinese might sell them arms, and it would seriously divide the OAS. Brazil and Colombia don't exactly have long and stellar military track records in foreign wars either.

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
What do they think about Lula?
Most people I’ve talked to are disappointed. Even the people that didn’t agree with his politics respected him as a leader. For myself it’s sad to see him end up like this, because he did a lot of good.

Their own brand of country music is the most popular genre of music. And Evangelicals are the most dynamic Christian force in the country
:francis:

That’s an extremely close minded way of thinking.

I love Sertanejo and I’m a devout Christian. That doesn’t mean I automatically support racist or fascist ideologies.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Most people I’ve talked to are disappointed. Even the people that didn’t agree with his politics respected him as a leader. For myself it’s sad to see him end up like this, because he did a lot of good.

That’s an extremely close minded way of thinking.

I love Sertanejo and I’m a devout Christian. That doesn’t mean I automatically support racist or fascist ideologies.
:mjpls:

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
A good article in the Washington Post by Fernando Henrique Cardoso, former president of Brazil. His fiscal and economic reforms are actually credited for the brief prosperity Brazil had in the early 2000s and also interestingly enough, he is a sociologist by training and has always vocally acknowledged his part African ancestry. In the election he refused to endorse Haddad or Bolsonaro saying he wouldn't "sell his soul to the devil."

How the unthinkable happened in Brazil

One sentence on the post-dictatorship democracy kind of sums it up: "Of the four presidents elected after the 1988 Constitution took effect, two were impeached, one is in jail for corruption and the other is me."

ZoeGod

I’m from Brooklyn a place where stars are born.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
As fukked as Venezuela is I could see that being the Syria of the Western hemisphere if anyone invades. It won't be easy, the Russians and Chinese might sell them arms, and it would seriously divide the OAS. Brazil and Colombia don't exactly have long and stellar military track records in foreign wars either.
That’s my point. You have people here calling for intervention after the fukk ups of regime change from the past 18 years as if this time will be different. Removing a government is easy, governing it is hard because best believe there will be post govt chaos with Venezuela. So many armed factions in the ground Venezuela the bloodbath would only get worsen. But hey Maduro has to go damn what happens next. Saddam was bad he had to go and Iraq is a stable democracy. Kaddafi had to go and Libya is a shining example of liberal democracy in North Africa. Saleh has to go and Yemen is one of the most secure nations in the world. So Venezuela will turn out okay especially with Trump and Bolsonaro record I’m respecting poor peoples rights.

ZoeGod

I’m from Brooklyn a place where stars are born.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
You swallowed the same bs thekingsmen and neworldafro did all these years and don't even realize it.

lol at bringing up Palestine and Zionism. You're an idiot.

lol at your paragraph of strawmen
Be happy you got Bolsonaro and Trump along with President Duque in Colombia all want to intervene in Venezuela. Bolsonaro and Trump I’m sure will liberate Venezuela and aid the plight of brown and black Venezuelans. Both have shown competent leadership in respecting the black and brown people in their own countries. So you will get your wish of Operation Venezuelan Freedom.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Intervention works in some limited instances. Especially if it’s regional. Idk enough about Venezuela to comment on whether this would work, but not all interventions = Iraq

Examples of fairly succesful interventions throughout Africa: Tanzania ousting Idi Amin, ECOWAS ousting Jammeh, Brits in Sierra Leone, Liberia etc. Balkans was fairly successful.

Sometimes the use of external force can be the least worst option.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Intervention works in some limited instances. Especially if it’s regional. Idk enough about Venezuela to comment on whether this would work, but not all interventions = Iraq

Examples of fairly succesful interventions throughout Africa: Tanzania ousting Idi Amin, ECOWAS ousting Jammeh, Brits in Sierra Leone, Liberia etc. Balkans was fairly successful.

Sometimes the use of external force can be the least worst option.

You make a good point but remember, in almost every one of those instances, the population was generally supportive and there was a viable opposition/leadership to take over. Would Venezuelans welcome outsiders like that? Is Maduro's opposition that credible to most of the populace to be backed by armed foreigners?

Also all those countries were small. Venezuela is 30 million+ Iraq's size was part of the problem.