California is losing it's luster

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I've said in mutiple threads, NY is the only US city that I feel is worth the premium. from round the clock living, to actual diversity, to the number of things available to do, to the types of restaurants, to a real public trans system, to a diversified # of industries, etc. i'd easily accept paying the high COL in NY over LA and SF any day. only thing it takes the L on is weather, but that's also subjective, I don't mind the winter in the mid atlantic since it's not too cold, not too snowy, and not too long...nothing like the shyt New England and the Midwest go through :scust:

It is amazing to me how many Californians kiss ass to New York, and vice versa. Literally amazing, for everyone from one who shyt talks the other, there's love letters about NY or LA from somebody just like this...

San Francisco is the worst major city in Anerica if you're black, it's not even in the equation. But comparing NY to LA, they are different sides of the same coin, sister. There isn't really more things to do in NY, but the only favorable advantage I'd give over LA is it is an easier to navigate city via transit, though that transit system has been faced with deficits and scandal and operational issues in recent years. It isn't as glamorous up close and personal...

Everything else is a virtual tie, if you can justify the cost in one, you can justify the cost in the other...

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
where-does-half-the-US-population-live-728x473.jpg
people talk COL, but all the areas in blue cost a lot more than the gray. yes, you can then stack rank the blue against one another, but depending on your tastes, and if you're black, that starts cutting out places too.

it sucks, but i'd rather be around enough of my people in a mixed place with access to a lot of different things, people and opportunities than own a big ass 3000 sq ft house an hour outside of everything, that really holds no value due to being "remote", just because it's cheap. i mean, even the cities of texas don't impress me, a lot of chain or "standard" american food, especially dallas, very flat cities and ugly buildings, and houston has terrible traffic. chicago is beautiful, but you can't enjoy it 3/4 of the year, black people are doing pretty bad, has awful traffic also, and it's an island, the rest of the midwest is garbage.... it's issues everywhere. just gotta pick and choose your battles

for me, everywhere i would live is expensive - the bay, LA, NY and DC. all them other places are cool to visit to me, but i'm a coastal girl through and through :yeshrug:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Full disclosure I’m biased against the south cause of the history even tho I’m from there. Idk it’s just I don’t like the vibe it’s mostly Asian and Hispanic where I live and I’m cool with being around mostly minorities even tho they probably don’t like our asses either :yeshrug: I hear ppl say they don’t like cali and always think it could be worse. I can only think of a few racist incidents in the south tbh. I understand why ppl would move there cause it’s more black ppl there but after 26 years there its just overrated to me . Also I’m a personal trainer and here ppl take fitness way more serious. You’d think you could eat more in the south but they dont take it as serious. My aunties be pissing me off with all they health scares I’m not the only personal trainer in the fam and still the same shyt happens.
i'm sorry, the south...especially the deep south where we have our largest populations, is terrible. it lags in every basic human development index indicator - poor health of residents, poor health care, poor economy, overt support of longstanding racism and racist laws (yes, everywhere in the US is racist, won't get into that, but the deep south is a whole other level), poor infrastructure, poor industry, and government leaders who turn down the help these states need and actively undercut laws and initiatives that would make life better for its constituents, they get away with it due to the rampant racism. LA, MS, AL, SC and (AK, KY, TN, and GA outside Atlanta) don't deserve to be mentioned as places blacks should be flocking to. i wish a lot of the black people left there had more mobility to leave those places

Last edited:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
It is amazing to me how many Californians kiss ass to New York, and vice versa. Literally amazing, for everyone from one who shyt talks the other, there's love letters about NY or LA from somebody just like this...

San Francisco is the worst major city in Anerica if you're black, it's not even in the equation. But comparing NY to LA, they are different sides of the same coin, sister. There isn't really more things to do in NY, but the only favorable advantage I'd give over LA is it is an easier to navigate city via transit, though that transit system has been faced with deficits and scandal and operational issues in recent years. It isn't as glamorous up close and personal...

Everything else is a virtual tie, if you can justify the cost in one, you can justify the cost in the other...
that's your opinion, you've always shown an unshakeable bias to LA in your posts - not an issue, but that's also why i can't give too much weight to your comment above. i think the people, density and overall "mindset" of the people in NYC >> LA.

Astroslik

Veteran
Daps
people talk COL, but all the areas in blue cost a lot more than the gray. yes, you can then stack rank the blue against one another, but depending on your tastes, and if you're black, that starts cutting out places too.

it sucks, but i'd rather be around enough of my people in a mixed place with access to a lot of different things, people and opportunities than own a big ass 3000 sq ft house an hour outside of everything, that really holds no value due to being "remote", just because it's cheap. i mean, even the cities of texas don't impress me, a lot of chain or "standard" american food, especially dallas, very flat cities and ugly buildings, and houston has terrible traffic. chicago is beautiful, but you can't enjoy it 3/4 of the year, black people are doing pretty bad, has awful traffic also, and it's an island, the rest of the midwest is garbage.... it's issues everywhere. just gotta pick and choose your battles

for me, everywhere i would live is expensive - the bay, LA, NY and DC. all them other places are cool to visit to me, but i'm a coastal girl through and through :yeshrug:
Not true.

In fact, our black professional population and dynamics shyt all over sf and la. Only city fukking with us is Atlanta and maybe dc

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Not true.

In fact, our black professional population and dynamics shyt all over sf and la. Only city fukking with us is Atlanta and maybe dc
the "black professional" class is doing well everywhere as it's usually the top black earners, as a whole, black people aren't doing well in chicago and the surrounding burbs. i also didn't feel a strong black professional network when i lived in chicago, the YBP network, while a decent size, is not messing with dc, ny, or atl, and even felt more fragmented than LA and Houston...but that's just my take on it. :yeshrug:

lastly, i have friends born and raised in chicago, so they'll never leave because it's home, but even they complain about stagnant job opportunities, three of them admit they'd have more job mobility if they moved to the other cities i listed.

Counter Racist Male

Retired poster and occasional lurker
Daps
Reppin
MYSELF
the "black professional" class is doing well everywhere as it's usually the top black earners, as a whole, black people aren't doing well in chicago and the surrounding burbs. i also didn't feel a strong black professional network when i lived in chicago, the YBP network, while a decent size, is not messing with dc, ny, or atl, and even felt more fragmented than LA and Houston...but that's just my take on it. :yeshrug:

lastly, i have friends born and raised in chicago, so they'll never leave because it's home, but even they complain about stagnant job opportunities, three of them admit they'd have more job mobility if they moved to the other cities i listed.

And I can explain what you mean by black professional class?

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They got a lot of problems to solve before people decide to go back.

Homelessness
Cost of Living
Traffic
Extreme dirtiness
Earthquakes
Fires
Thousands and thousands of CA specific laws and regulations

I could go on an on

Astroslik

Veteran
Daps

what can I say, I only surround myself with black professionals :yeshrug: And were doing bad everywhere tbh. Was just out in dc 2 months ago and shyt ain’t the same as it was.

do you think black people are doing any better in the bay? And no way in hell is the black professional scene in la less fragmented than Chicago. Half the mfs in LA ain’t even from there. And most of the black people are in like two sections of the city. I went to undergrad in LA shyt ain’t that cohesive out there.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
what can I say, I only surround myself with black professionals :yeshrug: And were doing bad everywhere tbh. Was just out in dc 2 months ago and shyt ain’t the same as it was.

do you think black people are doing any better in the bay? And no way in hell is the black professional scene in la less fragmented than Chicago. Half the mfs in LA ain’t even from there. And most of the black people are in like two sections of the city. I went to undergrad in LA shyt ain’t that cohesive out there.

I just wanna point out, half the muhfukkas in NY not from there, half the muhfukkas in South Florida ain't from there, for sure half the muhfukkas in Atlanta ain't from there, on and on and on...

Most major cosmopolitan cities are made up of people from elsewhere, that doesnt invalidate their contributions to that city's professional class...

Astroslik

Veteran
Daps
I just wanna point out, half the muhfukkas in NY not from there, half the muhfukkas in South Florida ain't from there, for sure half the muhfukkas in Atlanta ain't from there, on and on and on...

Most major cosmopolitan cities are made up of people from elsewhere, that doesnt invalidate their contributions to that city's professional class...
Thanks for pointing out the obvious. If you’re black professional scene is mostly composed of people from different places, it’s less likely to feel insular and cohesive. Doesn’t take away their contributions.

HellRell804

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you guys must not know people who are actually struggling. to say that having a kid makes them better off is a lie, it actually traps people further in poverty. there's some truth to the harsh "dont have kids if you can't afford them"...

Yes and no. Some people actually want to do better and you can see them struggle because the system is set up to make it difficult to do the right thing. Some are embarrassed to be on public assistance and bust ass to get off it.

But if you don't care about your image or the stigma of being on public assistance, those people absolutely have it better with a child.

Notice I said they have it better and not the child.

Income restrictions mean they don't have to work full time. House and food is paid for every month. And if they need a few dollars to go out or get something for themselves, they can hit up one of their male "friends".

They live like perpetual teenagers. That type of life isn't possible for an adult that's not on public assistance.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
And I can explain what you mean by black professional class?
in my experience, [young] black professional is generally applied to black college+ educated folks with decent (~$45/50k+) white collar incomes

the DMV has a much bigger middle-upper middle class of blacks...that's compared to everywhere in the US. yea, the hood is the hood, but DMV stands out above every metro area - them fed jobs feed people.

and it's hard to compare black people in the bay and chicago, i have beef with both areas. what i will say made chicago feel a step behind is the stark segregation, like you can draw a soft line east to west starting around south loop and a hard line east to west through downtown and you'll be hard pressed to even see "upwardly mobile" black folks in neighborhoods above river north...shyt was just disturbing given the high population of black people in chicago.