California is losing it's luster

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Moved to LA from Chi 3 years ago. It's nice out here weather wise but the cost of living is off the chain...that's the whole city is filled with homeless folk. shyt is outta control

I pay $1525 for a super basic ass 1 bedroom with no amenities(washer/dryer, basic renovations) etc......for the same amount I had a 1300 sq footage 2 bedroom in a 3 flat with a washer/dryer in teh unit, all hardwood floors, huge kitchen, small garage and a shared fenced in courtyard

I enjoy being able to drive to the desert/mountains/ocean within 2 hours....close to Mexico, San Diego, the Bay

But the cost of living is just too much unless you are really gettin guap like that.

I don't really care about nightlife per se, clubs are clubs in every city plus i'm pretty :flabbynsick: so my clubbing days are behind me.

I'm planning on moving down South in a year or two, most of my fam is there and I'll never be able to afford a decent house here.

A friend of mine just bought a house here and it was 550K for a 900 sq ft 1 bedroom house....house is decent but it's pretty damn small.

Most ppl I know that moved out to Cali but left all liked living here but just couldn't deal with or justify the cost.

I have a lot of folk talk about wanting to move to Cali but I tell most of em it aint worth it unless you really have a reason to be here.....like Biggie said, it's a nice place to visit
The bolded is why I'm probably going to leave within a year. That's criminal.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
it's not rocket science, live where you can afford. we need better population distribution in this country anyway. when people leave cali that means they are going to another state that could use them. and then maybe in that state people feel under siege by cali people moving in and increasing the COL and they'll move to another state.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
It’s literally all a state government problem... Too many immigrants, too many Democrats in charge.

I believe that I've heard that in California news laws are often voted on by the public.

So the public votes for shyt all the time that ends up costing too much and not actually being beneficial.

I think it might be a constitutional problem in Cali.

Bumblebreh

Collecting honey and money
Daps
it's not rocket science, live where you can afford. we need better population distribution in this country anyway. when people leave cali that means they are going to another state that could use them. and then maybe in that state people feel under siege by cali people moving in and increasing the COL and they'll move to another state.

You cannot have better population distribution without mass systemic economic distribution that can fill in the system cracks.Because the reality is.Outside of the major cities that harbor wealth and convenience.You only have the cities that are forgotten and offer no prospects.People are being pushed out into the poorer parts of cali.

Cloutius Maximus

with the aid of the Funk...
Daps
Reppin
Altadena, California
i loved growing up here in the 90s but it's dystopian for poor black folks in Cali...

as i've said before i'd rather move to ghana than vegas or palmdale. Socal is the GOAT if you got it, anything else would feel like a downgrade. (NYC is lit but if im too broke to live in socal, i can't live in NYC either)

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Full disclosure I’m biased against the south cause of the history even tho I’m from there. Idk it’s just I don’t like the vibe it’s mostly Asian and Hispanic where I live and I’m cool with being around mostly minorities even tho they probably don’t like our asses either :yeshrug: I hear ppl say they don’t like cali and always think it could be worse. I can only think of a few racist incidents in the south tbh. I understand why ppl would move there cause it’s more black ppl there but after 26 years there its just overrated to me . Also I’m a personal trainer and here ppl take fitness way more serious. You’d think you could eat more in the south but they dont take it as serious. My aunties be pissing me off with all they health scares I’m not the only personal trainer in the fam and still the same shyt happens.

The South is definitely overrated, I've said that on here before. The thing is the good places in the South are cheaper than more desirable places elsewhere, and you can still have a strong quality of life in certain southern cities that can at least partly make up for what you're losing by leaving where you're from...

If all things were equal, from COL to wages and job availability, there is no place in the South (or anywhere else) better than Los Angeles. But life isn't linear, there's consequences and drawbacks to everything, and LA's drawbacks are what make other cities look more appealing in comparison than they actually are...

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
You cannot have better population distribution without mass systemic economic distribution that can fill in the system cracks.Because the reality is.Outside of the major cities that harbor wealth and convenience.You only have the cities that are forgotten and offer no prospects.People are being pushed out into the poorer parts of cali.

America should have never turned into a service based economy in the 80s. You cant have all the good paying jobs in overcrowded cities and not have good paying jobs in the burbs and rural areas. You think people gonna move to Montana, Idaho, and South Dakota where jobs are basically non existent? And it aint safe for black folk to move there, either....

King Poetic

The D.O.G.(Disciple Of God)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chavez Ravine, California
Born and raised here

problems

1. black people started leaving after the riots when they businesses got destroyed... they got their insurance money and headed to Vegas and the south

2. Prop 209 against affirmative action for blacks to attend universities in the late 90s , had blacks who wanted better for themselves or kids had folks leaving

3. cost of living.., black stronghold neighborhoods have become Mexican now, since people looking elsewhere to live

4. Jobs.... u better get your Spanish up cause English in the LA area is becoming secondary