Can a case be made that DMX is better than Nas?

Is DMX a better rapper than Nas

• Yes

Votes: 54 16.4%
  • No

Votes: 275 83.6%

• Total voters

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Lol,no dame grease joints could have took him where RR anthem did.
His beats never were all that. Swizz backdrops and X's greatness blew up RR,not that nikka
:what: nikka that was people's first impression of X . fukk is u talkin bout?
fukkin Wit D
Let My Fly
Look Thru My Eyes
Get At Me Dog
Damien
Stop Being Greedy
ATF
For My Dogs
I Can Feel It
The Convo
nikkas Done Started Somethin.

nikka u crazy? A lot of those are people's favorite X songs EVER. U think Ruff Ryder's Anthem is a better SONG than all them shyts? Swizz provided X wit that catchy and hard shyt. The bolded being why Ruff Ryder's Anthem was so huge. But Dame Grease gave the nikka his backdrop. It's not even arguable.

Guru

1995 -
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Nas earned that reputation with his music though.
Nas seems to have got a lot of his public backing off the beef with Jay Z since at the time jay seemed to be building up his case for GOAT. that's the most exposure nas has probably ever got or will ever see again... I've never heard one person who listen to music say they respect nas because of what he did with "illmatic"... outside of hip hop "ETHER" is probably his most recognizable track... can't say the same for X tho

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
Sounds like typical ageism BS to me. I go outside, I move around, listen to lots of music & talk with lots of people. DMX is a more familiar artist to folks who don't even like hip hop music and he's just as much as a recluse as Nas is.

C'mon son people do not discuss IWW & stillmatic in the same regard as they do illmatic...illmatic is the booths favorite album for a reason... and maybe a production shift is what nas needed in order for more people to enjoy his music... X seemed raw, fun, honest as opposed to Nas who just took himself too serious
And this is how I know u don't know wtf u talkin bout. The same PRODUCTION shift is why purists switched on Nas and started heavily criticizing him in the first place. He used X's main producer on I Am and that production style on Nastradamus as well. And people LOVED I Am in real time. This right here shows u have no idea about the time or Nas.

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
Sounds like typical ageism BS to me. I go outside, I move around, listen to lots of music & talk with lots of people. DMX is a more familiar artist to folks who don't even like hip hop music and he's just as much as a recluse as Nas is.

C'mon son people do not discuss IWW & stillmatic in the same regard as they do illmatic...illmatic is the booths favorite album for a reason... and maybe a production shift is what nas needed in order for more people to enjoy his music... X seemed raw, fun, honest as opposed to Nas who just took himself too serious
:yeshrug: U loss in life. Dmx is spoken on as a what coulda been. Nas is put in a whole different convo. I'm the nikka that bring X up in convos cause I remember how great at his best was. But he will never be in goat convos, it's impossible for him to be cause he has a classic album, good album and all the rest of them are average

I gave you power(hip hop head side) and if I ruled the world(commercial side) are both more remembered songs than any song x had on his best albums.

Stillmatic is iconic to the genre, I don't think its close to nas best, but the time it came out makes it more impactful then just quality of music. Ether, destroy and rebuild, one mic

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Son. I'm talking about the MUSIC my nikka. As a fan we don't spend their money. U being a PAC fan like me should understand this. Any die hard X fan knows IDAHIH is his best album MUSICALLY no question. And that's Dame Grease.
You talking as if your opinion is fact.
I dont think his first album is any better than the third musically.
I'm not watching nikkas money btw,but you cant say fukk a hit as is it's not the cornerstone of the music business. That's delusional nonsense.

Now let's get to facts.
X's biggest hits are with Swizz.
Swizz career > dame and by far.
Dame had his moments but he'll never be on swizz level

Guru

1995 -
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
And this is how I know u don't know wtf u talkin bout. The same PRODUCTION shift is why people switched in Nas and started heavily criticizing him in the first place. He used X's main producer on I Am and that production style on Nastradamus as well. And people LOVED I Am in real time. This right here shows u have no idea about the time or Nas.
Calm down hip hop head... I'm still learning this hip hop shyt and clearly stated that in the OP that's if you read it that i am of the younger generation.

People switched on Nas? Who? You mean his fan switched on him right? Most Nas songs I've heard played outside are results of that production shift and people love them... they might not like hip hop or nas but they love songs like "oochie wallie" and "made you look"... nas should stop listening to his fans and start listening to people who actually listens to music

And can ya stop saying people this and people that... when clearly ya are referring to nas stans

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
You talking as if your opinion is fact.
I dont think his first album is any better than the third musically.
I'm not watching nikkas money btw,but you cant say fukk a hit as is it's not the cornerstone of the music business. That's delusional nonsense.

Now let's get to facts.
X's biggest hits are with Swizz.
Swizz career > dame and by far.
Dame had his moments but he'll never be on swizz level
Facts are the only nikkas that I ever run across who would even think of putting And Then There Was X over IDAHIH is new and late nikkas. U can have ur opinion but the way UR talking. U would think IDAHIH wasn't the album that saved Def Jam commercially and wasn't a hit straight out the gate. U speaking without CONTEXT. If u spoke with context u would know what was going on around the time of And Then There Was X is what propelled its success. X was on top of the world at that time. Had movies. And was on a hit tour during the time frame. He was THAT nikka. So when the album dropped. Yes. It was gonna do huge. That don't mean the MUSIC was better than the album that catapulted him into stardom in the first place.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
Calm down hip hop head... I'm still learning this hip hop shyt and clearly stated that in the OP that's if you read it that i am of the younger generation.

People switched on Nas? Who? You mean his fan switched on him right? Most Nas songs I've heard played outside are results of that production shift and people love them... they might not like hip hop or nas but they love songs like "oochie wallie" and "made you look"... nas should stop listening to his fans and start listening to people who actually listens to music

And can ya stop saying people this and people that... when clearly ya are referring to nas stans
No. Purists switched on him. Fans was fine. No. U need to calm down cause u speaking with authority on shyt u don't know about rather than LISTENING.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
I mean you can do what you want but Nas is a clearly superior lyricist. Nas best albums are also better than X's best albums, easily.

And this is coming from someone who likes DMX more than Nas. DMX probably by favorite rapper ever, but objectively, Nas is superior

Guru

1995 -
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
No. Purists switched on him. Fans was fine. No. U need to calm down cause u speaking with authority on shyt u don't know about rather than LISTENING.
I listen to what I like. Your no more of an expert on hip hop than me. I listen to lots of music and people and the verdict is I've seen more people enjoying DMX than nas

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
:what: nikka that was people's first impression of X . fukk is u talkin bout?
fukkin Wit D
Let My Fly
Look Thru My Eyes
Get At Me Dog
Damien
Stop Being Greedy
ATF
For My Dogs
I Can Feel It
The Convo
nikkas Done Started Somethin.

nikka u crazy? A lot of those are people's favorite X songs EVER. U think Ruff Ryder's Anthem is a better SONG than all them shyts? Swizz provided X wit that catchy and hard shyt. The bolded being why Ruff Ryder's Anthem was so huge. But Dame Grease gave the nikka his backdrop. It's not even arguable.
Yes RR anthem is the best.
And some of them joints he had add. production on.
Shout out to PK.
The beats HE actually produced,most were meh

He aint seeing swizz
RR anthem
My nikkaz
aint no way
It's all good
Flesh of my flesh
one more road to cross
party up

No filler on my list,unlike like yours

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Your no more of an expert on hip hop than me.
full

How could that possibly be the case when you've admitted being a relatively new fan with a minimal knowledge base.