Can anyone explain to me why single payer health care is bad for America?

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
because Canada doesn't make shyt

duh.

Thats the same reason Cory Booker voted against that shyt. Ya'll talk about drugs and having access to them but wanna ignore the economics supporting the very communities you seek to undermine.

This has nothing to do with universal healthcare
bruh, so you are saying Canada doesn't make shyt, yet buy and are able to get cheaper drugs from the states, and are able to sells them to their citizens cheaper than what Americans pay. So why are Canadians able to buy it cheaper from the states than the states themselves are able to sell to their own citizens?

the hell kind of fukked up circular logic is that?

Canadians can get it cheaper because the laws don't allow the pharmaceutical companies to rip them off....like they are allowed to do in the states.

But I guess greed has nothing to do with it. :francis:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
bruh, so you are saying Canada doesn't make shyt, yet buy and are able to get cheaper drugs from the states, and are able to sells them to their citizens cheaper than what Americans pay. So why are Canadians able to buy it cheaper from the states than the states themselves are able to sell to their own citizens?
Generics.

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Generics.
But it's not just generics.....

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/28/health/us-pays-more-for-drugs/

"According to the International Federation of Health Plans, Americans pay anywhere from two to six times more than the rest of the world for brand name prescription drugs. Specialty and cancer drugs tend to be the most expensive, but the sky-high prices can be found in commonly used meds as well. For example:
-- Gleevec (a cancer treatment): $6,214 (per month/per customer) in the United States, compared to $1,141 in Canada and $2,697 in England.
-- Humira (for rheumatoid arthritis): $2,246 in the United States, compared to $881 in Switzerland and $1,102 in England.
-- Cymbalta (for depression): $194 in the United States, compared to $46 in England and $52 in the Netherlands. In fact, there is also a generic version of Cymbalta so these prices reflect having a cheaper alternative.

Most Americans feel that drug companies are putting profits before anything else. A recent poll from the Kaiser Family Foundation found that 72% of Americans think drug costs are unreasonable and want drug companies to release information on how they set prices.
Tom Sackville, CEO of the IFHP, said that American consumers have little recourse against the high prices. "Consumers are pretty much unprotected from whatever price," he said. "

http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/questions/why-are-pharmaceuticals-cheaper-in-Canada

"The reason behind the cost difference lies in two important words — price controls. In Canada, the government has set up the Patented Medicine Prices Review Board to ensure that pharmaceutical prices do not get excessive. They even have a law that says that the price of a breakthrough medication, the first of its kind, cannot exceed its median price around the world. A great example is the new cancer drug, Campath, which sells for $600 to $700 in countries like Sweden, Britain and France. Its U.S. price? A whopping $2,400. Now that’s a hard pill to swallow (well, not really, since Campath is given by intravenous injection, but you get the idea)."

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
In 2015 more than 52,000 canadians traveled abroad for healthcare.

More than 52,000 Canadians travelled abroad for health care last year, study finds

This canadian guy explains how the canadian healthcare system almost killed him and how he had to fly to america to get the procedure he needed.

Explain what's going on here.

@Pink_Freud
@Call Me James
@Black Ken
@ReignAsKing

Really it just comes down to having money and going where the most advanced treatment facilities and technology is.
No one will deny that America is the most advanced technologically, so many want to take advantage of that.
Some times the Canadian hospitals just don't have enough resources so they will ship them to the states(still paying for it). But that study also has to take in account all the snowbirds and Canadians that actually live in the states part of the year. When you factor in those people the numbers don't look as high.

Plus most of those cases that ppl leave for are NOT life or death treatments.

Regardless, this just proves even more that if America actually compounded all these great technological advancements with good care for all, Americans would be so much better off.

Also....how many Americans leave for treatment abroad?? I mean if the system is so great here, surely no one would leave the good ol USA?

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
In 2015 more than 52,000 canadians traveled abroad for healthcare.

More than 52,000 Canadians travelled abroad for health care last year, study finds

This canadian guy explains how the canadian healthcare system almost killed him and how he had to fly to america to get the procedure he needed.

Explain what's going on here.

@Pink_Freud
@Call Me James
@Black Ken
@ReignAsKing

I can't really comment on his story; I assume he's telling the truth and has no reason to lie about his experience. :yeshrug:

This begs several questions, though: how many similar cases are there to this in other countries that have similar healthcare models? What's the percentage of those people who have had to travel to the US for care they could not receive in their home countries? What's the breakdown of Canadians who went abroad for medical treatment, more specifically to America?

Is there any reason to believe that one citizen's dissatisfaction with Canada's health care is enough to disparage the entire system? :gucci:

There are approximately 35 million people in Canada, and the article said 52,513 went abroad for care. Is there any reason that Canada's health care is bogus because 0.15% of the population had to go outside of the country for care? :hhh:

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
There are approximately 35 million people in Canada, and the article said 52,513 went abroad for care. Is there any reason that Canada's health care is bogus because 0.15% of the population had to go outside of the country for care? :hhh:

what makes you think everyone can afford to just fly to america and take off work for several weeks? the guy in the video had to accept donations from supporters just so he could fly and get the treatment. i imaging those 52,000 consist of:

a) people that can afford the trip and the procedure
b) people that had no choice because their condition demanded they couldn't wait under any circumstance.

the fact is when you service all those people, someone is going to have to wait and someone is going to get shafted. like this guy did. i imagine if more people could afford to take the trip for premium care there would be more people doing it.

i don't know about you but i don't want to be put on a waiting list for my medical procedure.

Last edited:

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps

people are leaving america because they can get LESS COSTLY care elsewhere, not BETTER care. the best care is HERE.

and they're going to india and costa rica, not canada or the UK or any of the places you're saying we should be more like. if our structure was more like them we WOULDN'T have the same high quality care!

and did you read the article?

2. There are still serious risks. In addition to trouble arising from language barriers and culture shock, the standard safety practices in the United States may not be used in international hospitals. You may be more likely to receive counterfeit medications or blood that hasn’t been properly screened than you would here, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

you wanna get some backroom operation done in some other country where the standards aren't nearly the same???? foh, not me.

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
what makes you think everyone can afford to just fly to america and take off work for several weeks?

:mjstare:...I don't.

i imaging those 52,000 consist of:

a) can afford the trip and the procedure
b) had no choice because their condition demanded they couldn't wait under any circumstance.

What about other factors, such as Canadians who flew abroad for non-life threatening or non-standard procedures?

Again, what's the actual breakdown of what medical care these 52,513 people flew abroad for? :martin:

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
:mjstare:...I don't.

What about other factors, such as Canadians who flew abroad for non-life threatening or non-standard procedures?

Again, what's the actual breakdown of what medical care these 52,513 people flew abroad for? :martin:

if 50,000 people receive healthcare for free but would rather LEAVE THE COUNTRY AND PAY FOR IT INSTEAD, what does that tell you einsten?? :gucci:

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
people are leaving america because they can get LESS COSTLY care elsewhere, not BETTER care. the best care is HERE.

and they're going to india and costa rica, not canada or the UK or any of the places you're saying we should be more like. if our structure was more like them we WOULDN'T have the same high quality care!

and did you read the article?

you wanna get some backroom operation done in some other country where the standards aren't nearly the same???? foh, not me.

Unless we can get data to explain the reasons why people are traveling abroad for medical reasons, there are no useful conclusions we can draw about the efficacy of the heath care systems of these people's home countries.

The mere existence of people that are forced to go elsewhere for medical treatment is not enough to disparage an entire heath care system.