dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I always see this thrown out about dudes like kendrick, lupe, joey badass, sometime cole – basically anyone coined as creating songs "with meaning" or "depth" yet i never see anyone explain what makes them fake deep nor does anyone offer examples of who/what is "real deep" :jbhmm:

Can someone post some examples of "fake deep" verses vs. "real deep" verses for me? Can I get the coli official list of "fake deep" artists and "real deep" artists? :jbhmm:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
there's no such thing.

It's just a term used by people that know their favorites can't keep up lyrically, conceptually or even musically with the best.
pretty much, it's the same dudes talking about how they just want entertainment from their music (dumbed down/easy/fun lyrics), not social, religious, or thoughtful commentary, throwing this out when they can easily just say they don't want to hear songs that touch on real issues and KIM

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I'd say Runaway Love from Luda is fake deep, honestly didn't sound like a sincere attempt at a more meaningful song.
i don't think it's a fake or actual deep song, just a straightforward account of fukked up situations.

but do you place it as fake deep because it was luda? the cliche of having someone like MJB sing the hook?

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I always see this thrown out about dudes like kendrick, lupe, joey badass, sometime cole – basically anyone coined as creating songs "with meaning" or "depth" yet i never see anyone explain what makes them fake deep nor does anyone offer examples of who/what is "real deep" :jbhmm:

Can someone post some examples of "fake deep" verses vs. "real deep" verses for me? Can I get the coli official list of "fake deep" artists and "real deep" artists? :jbhmm:
its lazy lines where you name drop victims of police brutality instead of referencing the topics in a more visceral way.

Its like trying to score points in an essay rubric, instead of weaving the themes into the essay.

Fake deep songs try to score points with easy lay-ups on social issues instead of casting issues in a more subversive way.

People confuse lyricism with songwriting.

Fake deep people focus on lyricism...where the mere mention is enough.

The songwriters can integrate the themes more subtly so as to meld the vibe and scene of the music in a way that allows you to enjoy the message more cleanly.

Look at Kendrick Lamar's "Freedom" song with Beyonce. THAT was Fake Deep.

Then look at something like 99 Problems. Hov made that shyt sound easy but there was a more subtle play on the scene unfolding.

Its the difference between these songs:

:mjpls:

:sas2:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I'd say Runaway Love from Luda is fake deep, honestly didn't sound like a sincere attempt at a more meaningful song.
see, I give that song a pass cause it sounded great. but this is borderline "fake deep" IMO.

Basically "fake deep" is when you have to explicitly talk about social ills because you're trying to score points with people who want to brag about listening to "socially conscious" music.

If the music was good enough, no one wold have to brag about it being "socially conscious"

Its the same reason so much gospel music sounds like flat out trash...they're trying too hard to sell a message through music, instead of making music.

On this same virtue, you could say dudes like Gucci, Young Thug, T.I., Jeezy, Hov, Scarface, are more socially conscious than Talib or Common because they're actually talking bout the nuances and details of the lifestyle while your more brand-name "conscious artists" have you beat you over the head with the topic in a way that makes the whole thing feel cheap.

...and I'm a fan of talib and common, generally. Its just when they try to be conscious, it doesn't seem to come from a real place.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

here is an example of a "real deep" song to me:

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
i don't think it's a fake or actual deep song, just a straightforward account of fukked up situations.

but do you place it as fake deep because it was luda? the cliche of having someone like MJB sing the hook?

a combination of the video, hook, and luda.

Yeah they were straight forward accounts, but it really didn't sound natural. Video didn't help much either...that close your eyes was so corny.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Listen to jay breaking down nas on blueprint
this will lead back to a circular reference - no clear definitions of "fake deep" just hurt feelings that certain artist can touch or mention subjects that others can't. nas aint never been fake deep, dude spits his truth and moves on. fake deep seems to squarely be "i don't want to hear an artist spit about a subject that makes me think"