BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
its lazy lines where you name drop victims of police brutality instead of referencing the topics in a more visceral way.

Its like trying to score points in an essay rubric, instead of weaving the themes into the essay.

Fake deep songs try to score points with easy lay-ups on social issues instead of casting issues in a more subversive way.

People confuse lyricism with songwriting.

Fake deep people focus on lyricism...where the mere mention is enough.

The songwriters can integrate the themes more subtly so as to meld the vibe and scene of the music in a way that allows you to enjoy the message more cleanly.

Look at Kendrick Lamar's "Freedom" song with Beyonce. THAT was Fake Deep.

Then look at something like 99 Problems. Hov made that shyt sound easy but there was a more subtle play on the scene unfolding.

Its the difference between these songs:

:mjpls:

:sas2:

This post is fake deep

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
pretty much, it's the same dudes talking about how they just want entertainment from their music (dumbed down/easy/fun lyrics), not social, religious, or thoughtful commentary, throwing this out when they can easily just say they don't want to hear songs that touch on real issues and KIM
touching on "real issues" isn't enough though.

Because most artists aren't that smart and aren't educated enough to do so skillfully so it sounds like hot trash when they do it.

Example here:

Its just contrived bullshyt to sell a message with a beat underneath it.

If you want real issues being discussed, I say go read a book or go to a lecture.

Artists that focus on making music touch on "real issues"

Thats why This song is climbing up the charts...its a REAL emotion about a real social interaction. Despair, depression, growth, relationships, etc.

Its not TRYING to do something. Its why some songs for the ladies work and some songs don't.

You can't fake that shyt with social issues. And people can tell.

People have no problem with socially conscious music...they have a problem with BAD music.

Its the same reason Jesus Walks is a classic...(and I'm an atheist)

NotAnFBIagent

[redacted]
Daps
this will lead back to a circular reference - no clear definitions of "fake deep" just hurt feelings that certain artist can touch or mention subjects that others can't. nas aint never been fake deep, dude spits his truth and moves on. fake deep seems to squarely be "i don't want to hear an artist spit about a subject that makes me think"

Can't y'all, see that he's fake, the rap version of TD jakes
Prophesizing on your CDs and tapes
Won't break you a crumb of the little bit that he makes
And this is with whom you want to place your faith?
I put dollars on mine, ask Columbine
When the Twin Towers dropped, I was the first in line
Donating proceeds off every ticket sold
When I was out on the road, that's how you judge Hov, no?
Ain't I supposed to be absorbed myself?
Every time there's a tragedy, I'm the first one to help
They call me this misogynist, but they don't call me the dude
To take his dollars to give gifts at the projects
These dudes is all politics, depositing checks
they put in they pocket, all you get in return is a lot of lip
And y'all buy the shyt, caught up in the hype
Cause the nikka wear a coofie, it don't mean that he bright
Cause you don't understand him, it don't mean that he nice
It just means you don't understand all the bullshyt that he write
Is it "Oochie Wally Wally" or is it "One Mic"?
Is it "Black Girl Lost" or shorty owe you for ice?

If that doesn't explain fake deep then idk what to tell u

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Its when people with surface level knowledge talk about subjects beyond their depth oftentimes littered with fallacies and misinformation.
how is that fake deep as opposed to limited knowledge? you can read one book on chemical warfare and form an opinion that you feel comfortable sharing, no, you may not know everything and there may be valid counterpoints to your opinion, but how is it fake deep? you're sharing your POV

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Its when people with surface level knowledge talk about subjects beyond their depth oftentimes littered with fallacies and misinformation.
Which is PRECISELY why everyone I know with several degrees, professional careers, etc doesn't listen to all that hifalutin shyt.

WE/THEY know more than these rappers who mostly are high school graduates trying to talk about complex world and social issues. Some 20 year old talking about surface level understanding of these ideas isn't gonna cut it.

Thats why this song works:

and why this song doesn't work:

Compare the two.

Chainz/Gucci/Ross is talking about community investment...on a dope beat with slick slang and visuals...and Immortal Technique is out here trying to practice slam poetry on a shytty instrumental. And even worse, ImmTech is trying to shove something down your throat. He'd be better off writing a blog post. No one wants to listen to that shyt.

Then on the other hand you have J Cole, who is so-so with the lyrics. And then you have Killer Mike...a college educated dude who knows how to talk about shyt in a dope way. Only problem is that he's wasting his prime years chasing white cross-over audiences :snoop:

Fact is, music always has been what matters. Not content.

People have other ways of consuming content.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Can't y'all, see that he's fake, the rap version of TD jakes
Prophesizing on your CDs and tapes
Won't break you a crumb of the little bit that he makes
And this is with whom you want to place your faith?
I put dollars on mine, ask Columbine
When the Twin Towers dropped, I was the first in line
Donating proceeds off every ticket sold
When I was out on the road, that's how you judge Hov, no?
Ain't I supposed to be absorbed myself?
Every time there's a tragedy, I'm the first one to help
They call me this misogynist, but they don't call me the dude
To take his dollars to give gifts at the projects
These dudes is all politics, depositing checks
they put in they pocket, all you get in return is a lot of lip
And y'all buy the shyt, caught up in the hype
Cause the nikka wear a coofie, it don't mean that he bright
Cause you don't understand him, it don't mean that he nice
It just means you don't understand all the bullshyt that he write
Is it "Oochie Wally Wally" or is it "One Mic"?
Is it "Black Girl Lost" or shorty owe you for ice?

If that doesn't explain fake deep then idk what to tell u
no it doesn't...you really posting this like jay had any objective view of breh at that time? like jay aint gonna big up himself? :camby:

portier posted by far the best definition, this jay z shyt fugazi

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
how is that fake deep as opposed to limited knowledge? you can read one book on chemical warfare and form an opinion that you feel comfortable sharing, no, you may not know everything and there may be valid counterpoints to your opinion, but how is it fake deep? you're sharing your POV
because the idea is to convince rubes who obviously aren't elevated that they know more than they do.

A song like this will do more for the hood than some dude rapping about generically sourced social topics to score points with the "I listen to this so people think I'm smart" crowd

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
As much as I liked the song, My President Is Black is in my opinion a fake deep song
no offense to jeezy cuz maybe breh is brighter than his music, but i think that song is squarely in line with the amount of depth and analysis i'd expect from a rapper like him. it's like yall really want to create too narrow of a field of content for rappers to use

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps

They don't present them as not knowing all the answers, though, they usually speak with an authoritative tone.