Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
Fake deep is just another variation of the "lyrical miracle" slur. I question people who go out of their way to talk down on being literate and giving a fucc about the "art". Always shyttin on legends and proppin up ignorance, who are these mahfuggas? :why:

"Guys like Young Thug, Kevin Gates represent real music. Gates said we need to stop acting like the n-word and cops will leave us alone. That's where it's at, dunny." :troll:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
You've very much describsd someone no one would attach any itertation of intellectual to...
have you seem feminists?!?

Beyonce is the poster-child for some of this fake-deep shyt.

I'm talking IG quotes and everything.

And no overt disrespect to her cause she's barely in control of her career, but don't get it twisted.

@xCivicx @IVS @FruitOfTheVale @Cadillac @Poitier @bigbadbossup2012 @mbewane @Wise D'Angelo @TntBdx @luckyse7enz @Starski @NewWaveEra @biscuitsnbangers @ConsciousBootyEnthusiast @Long Live The Kane @seveninthechamber @TheBlackSun

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I think that has more to do with the "anti-mainstream" movement in Hip Hop that picked up in the late 90s that carried through the entire 2000s. There was an outburst of anti-materialism in the Rhymesayers/Rawkus Records/Def Jux/Stones Throw circle which in retrospect was kind of :mjpls: given that the majority of the loudest voices on that "real hip hop" hype were white and middle class. They painted themselves as traditionalists continuing in the vein of the Native Tongues but really they were more punk rock rappers than anything.

I think the "fake deep" segment you're referring to is specifically in reaction to the "real hip hop" crowd.
Precisely. Especially because they couldn't relate.

Don't get me wrong. I like Little Brother as much as the next guy (I love Phonte's solo career)...but we all know why even Phonte is "too black" for these fans but they'll amp up a Hopsin.

If its not post-racial, it doesn't get that backing. :mjpls: :sas2:

Thats why Rosenberg will amp up weirdos but dudes like Donald Glover (or the average black suburban dude) can even relate to the core of the black experience in "extreme" rap music. Or Drake. Or Sean. or Tyler. or Wale.

@xCivicx @IVS @FruitOfTheVale @Cadillac @Poitier @bigbadbossup2012 @mbewane @Wise D'Angelo @TntBdx @luckyse7enz @Starski @NewWaveEra @biscuitsnbangers @ConsciousBootyEnthusiast @Long Live The Kane @seveninthechamber

up in here

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think if anything, this thread only proved that "deep" and "fake deep" are entirely subjective in how they are used and by whom.

if someone wants to truely discuss the merit or integrity of an artist, perhaps there are more definitive terms which should be used, such as insincere or disingenuous.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't think that @dora_da_destroyer was necessarily disagreeing with you.
yeah I was in this thread ready to chop off heads, I should've realized that @dora_da_destroyer was playing
devil's advocate.
My bad.

I think if anything, this thread only proved that "deep" and "fake deep" are entirely subjective in how they are used and by whom.

if someone wants to truely discuss the merit or integrity of an artist, perhaps there are more definitive terms which should be used, such as insincere or disingenuous.
I think insincere and disingenuous could go pretty easily with ignorant and/or pseudo-intellectual (which is how "fake deep" is used in this thread). When it's not used as a way to reinforce biases against certain artists but as a genuine critique of political, scientific or sociological views, held by certain artists, it can help to give credence to phrases to like "Fake deep".

For example I think "smart dumb"/"fake deep" (slang terms for pseudo-intellectual) readily describes someone like David Banner.

Last edited:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
@dora_da_destroyer are you still wenching? what makes you feel comfortable enough to speak on the culture when you laying down with brad and billy? :jbhmm:
That completely unprompted deflection :wow:
TheColi_zpsbtse4dmh.gif

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
His songs don't feature complex characters or their mentalities instead his characters tend to be unidimensional, his stories don't paint a picture with names, locations, and events that could only come from someone pulling from their experiences.....they're more like straight to TV sequels to early 90s hood films set in LA
I disagree. His stories do feature complex characters. And he has songs that are literally named after the name of the character, so I don't get what you mean that his stories don't have names.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
If u can't understand that from reading the lyrics then there's nothing I can do for u
That's not true actually. You could highlight the lyrics that you think deal with Nas being "fake deep" and explain them. If at that point I don't understand, then you'd be out of options.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Its the quality of the songs.

Let me clarify this for you so you understand this.

ATTEMPTS AT BEING DEEP DO. NOT. MATTER.

EXECUTION OF THE ATTEMPT IS ALL THAT MATTERS.

Being "woke" on a song does not make the song "good"

Period.
So why bring it up about Nas then? Nas has obviously executed with classic songs and albums.

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
I think that has more to do with the "anti-mainstream" movement in Hip Hop that picked up in the late 90s that carried through the entire 2000s. There was an outburst of anti-materialism in the Rhymesayers/Rawkus Records/Def Jux/Stones Throw circle which in retrospect was kind of :mjpls: given that the majority of the loudest voices on that "real hip hop" hype were white and middle class. They painted themselves as traditionalists continuing in the vein of the Native Tongues but really they were more punk rock rappers than anything.

I think the "fake deep" segment you're referring to is specifically in reaction to the "real hip hop" crowd.
I was there for that and black people started that.
"Backpack" rappers used to be "savages" and upstarts. Cacs took over due to graf and Rawkus being owned by Rupert Murdoch's son.