Can someone from Philly explain why Cliff Huxtable was eating hoagies instead of cheesesteak?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
There’s nothing to prove :mjlol:

You know damn well every store’s sign always says “Philly Subs, Steaks, Hoagies”. Stop acting new for the Coli :mjlol: everybody I grew up with calls it a Sub primarily, very few call them Hoagies. I heard it before but it’s rare to say. When you go to Wawa, it’s called a Sub. I lived in Chester. I guess everyone I knew just happened to not use the word Hoagie around me in all of these years. Maybe y’all prefer that term instead in Philly. I’ll admit I lived in Chester and other suburbs around Philly.
Wawa has never called a hoagie a sub. Wawa put up billboards all around the city for Hoagiefest in the fall!:what:.

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
Hoagies go hand and hand with cheesesteaks brehs and Brehettes. You can’t always eat cheesesteaks plus you got to be in the mood. With hoagie and some chips juice or soda is the best lunch or food to eat on any occassion

Primos bread is goat status. Philly bread really is 1 of 1

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I don't remember Cliff being from Philly.

Either way, they're Hoagie's in Philly and despite them being popular for awhile, I actually think hoagies were more popular than cheesesteaks in the past. Cheesesteaks were very regional until recently iirc...I mean steakums been around since forever, but no one considers a steak steakum a Cheesesteak. Philly folks are snobs about ours, despite any halfway decent corner store can make a fire Cheesesteak.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wawa has never called a hoagie a sub. Wawa put up billboards all around the city for Hoagiefest in the fall!:what:.

You're right :ehh: I never realized they called it a "Hoagie". That's some Mandela Effect shyt :patrice: Either way yall are weird for acting like you never heard nobody call it a Sub. I'm always in Chester, Marcus Hook, Springfield, Eddystone. My grandmom house was around the corner from the Sunoco off Edgemont Ave. When I go to any of the spots around there, nobody ever acts like you or other posters when I say I want a sub. Hoagie sounds like a pure Philly thing. Just like how yall act like snobs about putting Cheese Wiz or Mayonnaise on cheesesteaks. The terms are very interchangeable in the suburbs.

BBG

Superstar
Daps
I'm rolling at you nikkas arguing over who says subs versus who says hoagies. I'm from Chicago we say both subs and hoagies breh it's not that serious :mjlol:

I did see somebody in here call pop "soda" though, now that's nasty work

baker928

Pro
Daps
I'm rolling at you nikkas arguing over who says subs versus who says hoagies. I'm from Chicago we say both subs and hoagies breh it's not that serious :mjlol:

Nah, i've lived in Philly all my life and i've literally never heard any black person call it a sub. It's always been called a hoagie and imo they're as popular as cheesesteaks.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Was the Cliff character supposed to be from Philly?
If you watched the show there are a lot of visual references to the city, but I don't remember anything in the script that said that the father character was supposed to be from Philly.

General Mills

More often than not I tend to take that L.
Daps
Reppin
Piffsburgh, PA
Nah, i've lived in Philly all my life and i've literally never heard any black person call it a sub. It's always been called a hoagie and imo they're as popular as cheesesteaks.
Funny you said that. I’m in the Philly airport right now and they got a Tony Luke’s in here. Right on the menu it states hoagies.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
plus cheesesteaks and hoagies are both subs

grinder, hero...also subs

submarine, how they are shaped

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

I've heard more people say pop in Chicago than any other city :skip: