Can someone from Philly explain why Cliff Huxtable was eating hoagies instead of cheesesteak?

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
I prefer hoagies in the spring and summer and cheesesteaks in the fall & winter

All the OGs around Bill's age also prefer hoagies bc it was prob a cheaper option in their day

I think cheesesteaks in & around philly are getting too snobby: seeded rolls, cooper sharp cheese, ribeye, etc...ppl don't even think mayo & ketchup belong on a cheesesteak

The other thing is Bill is from North Philly...cheesesteaks were/are better in South Philly

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Because Blimpie was popping in NYC back then and had the best so called hoagies

blimpie14.jpg

share4.jpg
Learned something new. I had no idea Blimpie was up north :ohhh: Man they put one across the street when I was in high school.. we stayed cutting class to go there lol

god shamgod

Veteran
Daps
1. The show wasn't set in Philly so Cliff wasn't getting cheesesteaks in BK

2. Cliff always said he was getting hoagies from The White House which is this spot in Jersey:

58a5ccc298fa5.image.jpg

3. Cosby probably just preferred hoagies over cheesesteaks

I got a cheesesteak from here when I was in Atlantic City. It was good

Daps
Yea, that was weird. One, we eat cheesesteaks in Philly. I’m from Delco but it’s close enough. Two, we do eat “hoagies” too but they’re called subs. You ask Ralphie and Saul for an Italian Sub with hot peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, light mayo and light oil, pickles and a dash of pepper. You don’t ask for an Italian Hoagie :russ:
Makes sense why Cliff wouldn't eat cheesesteaks in Brooklyn.

He can probably get a good hoagie/hero etc., in New York that rivals Philly but the cheesesteak quality gap is bigger.

Live in Dallas and my favorite cheesesteak shop is run by a breh from Philly. He got nothing but Eagles jerseys and shyt but the food is so good, all us Cowboys fans ignore it :eat: :yeshrug:

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Sub, hoagie, cheesecake, chopped sandwich...

tumblr_nir1ukIpL31tpdxfdo1_500.gif

d7b166148a637b8a1f5e084f88eff909.360x203x27.gif

Daps
Cosby show was set in Brooklyn or philly? :patrice:
I don't remember any philly references in the show.
Yeah they were always vague about where Cliff and Claire came from.

Swear they said Philly, Virginia and North Carolina at different times.

Think Hillman was in Virginia so that's where the VA references came from. They talked about Claire Hanks dating Cliff Huxtable in high school but I don't ever remember Claire saying SHE came from Philly. Her whole vibe seemed southern-ish. Think Cliff and Claire's parents were from the South maybe?