Can we just admit the south killed hiphop? and stop being so PC?

Goodnews

All Star
Daps
As a Philly dude that grew up listening to the Eastcoast hip-hop staples I'm currently bumping Mozzy, Montana of 300 and Dave East. Of the newer guys on the scene I'd consider what they do closer to what I wanna hear then the mumble rap/simplesuperflex that's being pushed today. shyts hard to find but it's out there just gotta sort through a lot of "but that beat fire" rappers.

My opinion is it wasn't the south in particular that fukked it up. It's the "but the beat go hard" mentality because some dudes skate by as rappers because their engineers and producers are amazing. People should of started stanning the beat makers instead of the rappers.

panopticon

Superstar
Daps
Gentrification killed hip-hop, breh :francis:

And lower crime rates, homicide rates, etc. did too :francis:

NYC had 2000+ murders a year in the early 90s. Shyt was wild. The hip-hop at the time was made for the huge numbers of black people living through that shyt. :wow:

Can you imagine, breh? NYC only 5 boroughs...2000+ murders, and lord knows how many nikkas were paralyzed, left limping for the rest of their lives, shytting in colostomy bags off those gut shots, dying early from infections...every single black family was either directly affected or had no more than 1 degree of separation from that horror :wow:

Now...NYC has less than 300 murders a year. Street crime is way down. Muggings are mostly a thing of the past. You got white girls jogging through the hood at 2am and shyt.

Now we just wanna party. People aren't dying like that anymore. No more city-wide war zones. So the music that gets made and gets played is party music. :manny:

Late 70s / Early 80s (before crack) was like this too...disco, boogie, all that shyt...I just wish we got black party music of the same quality :blessed::blessed:

LoMax30

Bokeem Hoodbine
Daps
Reppin
Chopped Cheese & Snapple Iced Tea
It wasn't the south in particular that killed hip-hop.

It was Master P.

He was put up on a national scale and was shown or perceived to be making a lot of money, all while not being super-lyrical or musically talented. This is what had aspiring rappers like "so I don't have to put effort into my rhymes or beats and I can still get the bag? :ohhh:" In hind sight P's stuff isn't as bad as the stuff that's out now (I still play 'Bout It Bout It' in the whip:blessed:) but it still doesn't pardon the current state things are in:francis:

10:31

Superstar
Daps
They totally killed our genre. Its so watered down that the entry skill level is non existent. Now little Asian girls are making more money than poor black kids from the hood.

Y'all simplified production. Sampling took musical knowledge and skill. Chopping, placing, sampling drums. Chopping loops kicks, creating new shyt.

As we know rhyming takes skill and intelligence. U have to actually write a 16 that rhyme, have metaphors , on beat, flow and actually touch the listener soul.

In order to get a record deal back in the day u had to all of that plus avoid the nikkas trying to extort you and find a way to get inside a A and R personal space

The south killed our genre. NYC cats was spitting that real shyt. Hard shyt. Southern nikkas kill it and soul it for cheap. Y'all nikkas sold your people out because really you sold black culture and for that I'll never ever forgive y'all. I grow up on this shyt. I cried to this shyt, its the story of my childhood. I really love hiphop

I remember the first time I heard N.S.O.M. I was like whos that !!!!!! :dame: or the times pac made me cry in my room alone. Hiphop used to mean something

Nah.

truth2you

All Star
Daps
The south have arguably the best Hip Hop lyricist ever.

Also Hip Hop is far from dead, I always find people who say that are often very far removed from what's going on, very very much alive in all aspects.
When some people say hip hop is dead they mean the culture of it. You don't see any dj's with a rapper playing his part, and I don't mean the guy in the back pressing buttons at shows. Dj's are doing there own thing, and alot have gone to edm because it hasn't gone all the way corporate, and a way to get fame for nothing. You don't see graffiti artists showing the art part. The dressing is somewhat there, but even that has turned into some female stylist stuff, not real hip hop creativity. The south did keep the dancing going, but even that is gone now. What I did like about Houston was they still had scratching in the music with Michael watts. The music had soul as well, and still does. When Texas artist make rap music, it just has a good vibe to it. I rarely hear Texas shyt i don't like.

So to me, Hip Hop is dead. It's just a genre of music that is using the image of the old street part of the culture!

People call it hip hop because that is what labels started calling it, but its really rap music. Hip hop is something you do, rap is the music of hip hop culture.

Last edited:

truth2you

All Star
Daps
As a Philly dude that grew up listening to the Eastcoast hip-hop staples I'm currently bumping Mozzy, Montana of 300 and Dave East. Of the newer guys on the scene I'd consider what they do closer to what I wanna hear then the mumble rap/simplesuperflex that's being pushed today. shyts hard to find but it's out there just gotta sort through a lot of "but that beat fire" rappers.

My opinion is it wasn't the south in particular that fukked it up. It's the "but the beat go hard" mentality because some dudes skate by as rappers because their engineers and producers are amazing. People should of started stanning the beat makers instead of the rappers.
Mozzy is nice, but he aint getting the same look he had last year. He has the potential to be a real star, and stick around, because he says stuff I can feel, and he has character. He needs better management or something.

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland

It was Master P.

He was put up on a national scale and was shown or perceived to be making a lot of money, all while not being super-lyrical or musically talented. This is what had aspiring rappers like "so I don't have to put effort into my rhymes or beats and I can still get the bag? :ohhh:" In hind sight P's stuff isn't as bad as the stuff that's out now (I still play 'Bout It Bout It' in the whip:blessed:) but it still doesn't pardon the current state things are in:francis:

:dahell: Master P changed the game .. For the better

He showed you could start your own label independently and be successful....

That dudes didn't have to wait around for a record deal only to get fukked over by these record companies and white executives ...

He started his own shyt and got a Distrubtion deal.... Created his own buzz and took off from there. Once he had the buzz he flooded the streets and struck while the iron was hot. Basically made everyone's album a compilation album and dropped albums every other week. I'm sure they didn't feel like they were putting out trash. They were telling their stories of their city, state, region like all other rappers do...

Whether it was high quality music or not how can you not respect that?

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

It was Master P.

thats interesting. I never thought about that.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When some people say hip hop is dead they mean the culture of it. You don't see any dj's with a rapper playing his part, and I don't mean the guy in the back pressing buttons at shows. Dj's are doing there own thing, and alot have gone to edm because it hasn't gone all the way corporate, and a way to get fame for nothing. You don't see graffiti artists showing the art part. The dressing is somewhat there, but even that has turned into some female stylist stuff, not real hip hop creativity. The south did keep the dancing going, but even that is gone now. What I did like about Houston was they still had scratching in the music with Michael watts. The music had soul as well, and still does. When Texas artist make rap music, it just has a good vibe to it. I rarely hear Texas shyt i don't like.

So to me, Hip Hop is dead. It's just a genre of music that is using the image of the old street part of the culture!

People call it hip hop because that is what labels started calling it, but its really rap music. Hip hop is something you do, rap is the music of hip hop culture.

Hip Hop culture in every element is being practiced heavily throughout the world. Everything is still there heavily, from graffiti to DJ's scratching/cutting at shows. Cyphers, live shows, battling, music (which is a part of the culture) and so much more going on on a daily basis.

Tommy Sheppard

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mozzy is nice, but he aint getting the same look he had last year. He has the potential to be a real star, and stick around, because he says stuff I can feel, and he has character. He needs better management or something.
he dosent care about blowing up, and that’s the issue with this thread, mozzy has a great steady fan base and is eating crazy off of touring, no major machine behind him and he can drop when and what he wants to, nikkas like him are keeping hip hop alive.

he already made a name for himself from the black panther soundtrack.

KyokushinKarateMan

Train hard, fight easy
Daps
Reppin
U.S.
I hate when this topic comes up around here. Most of the participants in said topic are way too young to even have a worthy opinion on who killed hip hop.

It is a very simple, very resounding YES- the South killed hip hop.

No, hip hop does not still exist and if it does, it is amongst only a handful of artists and virtually none of them are mainstream- which, in itself, means hip hop is dead.

KillKenny

Pro
Daps
Nah... Im a fan of boom bap rap and that pure hip hop 90's feel, but last few years is way better than hmmm lets say 2005-2012.
I dont mind those new comers idiots.. trends end and before we know it they wont be around... but I do see alot of great art lately. I think 2020+ will be awsome like the 90's (every 30 years) and I can already spot how we are moving towards that

truth2you

All Star
Daps
Hip Hop culture in every element is being practiced heavily throughout the world. Everything is still there heavily, from graffiti to DJ's scratching/cutting at shows. Cyphers, live shows, battling, music (which is a part of the culture) and so much more going on on a daily basis.
And that's the excuse given when people say hip hop is dead. The problem is the people who do those things in other countries, also listen to old school rap music, or old school style. I don't hear anything innovative coming from people who still practice hip hop culture outside of the u.s.

Inthe u.s., the shyt is dead all around. It's all about the rapper. We seen this coming, were warned, but people didn't care because all they saw was the rapper, and labels went along with it. When the dj turned into the producer, at least he stayed around, but now they are shytting on producers, and rappers see no problem having ghostwriters, so there is no way you can tell me hip hop is going strong, just rap music, and the corporate version of it.

Last edited: