Captain America: Civil War (Official Thread)

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
In that apartment scene when Cap told Bucky no killing then Buck proceeds to bust one nikka over the head with a cement block then hit 2 more with the battering ram. Helmet or not, the cement block could have :dead:

Bucky was giving that SWAT team that WORK!!!! Cap had to get in a few as well. I was in my seat like :whoo:.

NOSaintsFan02

Superstar
Daps
That's a L for you Marvel stans.

I'm sorry but all the shyt I seen some of yall giving BvS, and so far even with all the hate BvS is on pace for a bigger opening weekend than this "critically acclaimed" movie. :mjlol:

Again I've got no horse in this race, I love both movies, but some of yall was talking MAD shyt in the BvS and in this thread about BvS opening weekend and the flack it got and how this movie was gonna easily demolish it. Y'all better hope for a big Sat/Sun after all that shyt YALL was talking.

snikt6384

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's a L for you Marvel stans.

I'm sorry but all the shyt I seen some of yall giving BvS, and so far even with all the hate BvS is on pace for a bigger opening weekend than this "critically acclaimed" movie. :mjlol:

Again I've got no horse in this race, I love both movies, but some of yall was talking MAD shyt in the BvS and in this thread about BvS opening weekend and the flack it got and how this movie was gonna easily demolish it. Y'all better hope for a big Sat/Sun after all that shyt YALL was talking.

As someone who hated BvS and loved this, I didn't expect Civil War to beat the opening weekend. I think below 200 mil sounds disappointing, but it being behind BvS in general should come as no surprise. That was the first time on screen meeting of these characters. One being Batman who is generally a license to print money. The trailer could've been stick figures and it would've sold gangbusters.

Had that movie been truly amazing, word of mouth would've carried BvS onward to perhaps beat Avengers. Instead you've got a movie that opened red hot because of the title, and got taken down 2 weeks later by "The Boss" in America. I'm interested to see just how strong Civil War's legs are here. It's anecdotal but I went 46 deep to the movie and almost everyone was making plans to see it again after. Some already have.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Don't you like most of the X-Men movies though? At least these Cap movies are consistent with their themes throughout. X-Men flicks have been all over the place.
:manny:

What does me liking X-men got anything to do with THIS film? I didn't say anything about Captain America's previous films either. But since you WANT to mention consistency with the previous Captain America films, Steve Rogers is extremely UNCHARACTERISTIC in this film in comparison to The First Avenger and Winter Soldier. In both previous films, Steve Rogers was all about honor, speaking the truth, and his insistent refusal for anyone to hold secrecy. He even got on Fury over the fact of ethics, holding secrets, and moral consequences that can kill innocent lives. Yet, now it is HE that doesn't mind the collateral damage? Or refusal to hold himself and his team accountable? Granted I am not complaining about his position, but it is out of character. But the worst is KEEPING A SECRET AS IMPORTANT AS NOT TELLING TONY THE ENTIRE TRUTH ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED TO HIS PARENTS. That is not what Steve Rogers do. That would of been something TONY STARK would of done.

And speaking of Stark, I do not like the character development that they decided to go with this character AT ALL... He went from in 2008, a cocky, overly confident, super-intelligent genius who is more interesting even WITHOUT the Iron Man suit to now this paranoid, super-depressed, and now emotionally unstable character that's had a sudden turn that's no different from this WEAK version of emo Zemo....dismissing all reason and rationale by the flick of a switch at the very end.

But never mind all of that.... WHAT WAS THE POINT of this movie? At the end of the day... NOTHING CHANGES except that Team Capt are now fugitives, but they were doing their own thing anyway. There was no set-up for future films except for this being an advertisement for the Black Panther solo film... everyone reconciled basically after Capt's sappy voicemail apology. And the movie that is TOO LONG for a simple revenge plot was mostly filler. The only thing that was good was the action sequences (and even that has criticism by using that damn shaky cam, have a lot of it being extremely too close up and so forth) and the airport battle which was a fun entertaining ride....

But if all you can say is, but I like "X-MEN films"....that a wack argument to use when MANY PEOPLE like X-men movies. Don't use Wolverine Origins and Last Stand as reasons to shyt on an entire franchise.....

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nikka he killed BOTH my parents fukk that!! I KEEPS IT REAL!!:damn::damn:

If that makes him emotionally fukked in the head.... then Batman had every reason to be equally emotionally fukked in the head when someone say the name of one of his dead parents. You cannot have it both ways. Especially when Iron Man KNEW that WS was under brainwashed control.... but to say, "fucck that, he still killed my mother"...

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't really care that much about how Spidey makes his webs, but I always thought it was kinda odd how he's given all these other powers cause of the spiderbite, but not the ability to spin webs.

That's one thing I actually like what Raimi did.... but everyone got pissed over that change.

NOSaintsFan02

Superstar
Daps
As someone who hated BvS and loved this, I didn't expect Civil War to beat the opening weekend. I think below 200 mil sounds disappointing, but it being behind BvS in general should come as no surprise. That was the first time on screen meeting of these characters. One being Batman who is generally a license to print money. The trailer could've been stick figures and it would've sold gangbusters.

Had that movie been truly amazing, word of mouth would've carried BvS onward to perhaps beat Avengers. Instead you've got a movie that opened red hot because of the title, and got taken down 2 weeks later by "The Boss" in America. I'm interested to see just how strong Civil War's legs are here. It's anecdotal but I went 46 deep to the movie and almost everyone was making plans to see it again after. Some already have.
I believe Civil War will gross more.

With that said, some people on here would obliterating even the fact that BvS huge opening weekend "only" netted $166 mil. They were damn near poppin champagne that Civil War was going to easily beat that. Well, it doesn't look so 'easy' right now. Civil War needs to (and prob will) have a big Sat and Sun to overcome BvS opening weekend. But by miracle, if Civil War falls short of BvS then the Marvel stans who were in this forum going crazy over BvS negative reviews and 'underwhelming' numbers deserve to take some flack.

And I agree that word of mouth did hurt BvS numbers overall. I enjoyed the movie, but it received so much hate (some justified, some that seemed like it was an agenda against the movie), that it just creamed the legs the movie could have had. Losing 3rd weekend to The Boss was laughable. DC will make a profit off the movie but it hopefully will motivate everyone associated in that film to step their game up for Justice League. If so, we all win.

NOSaintsFan02

Superstar
Daps
If that makes him emotionally fukked in the head.... then Batman had every reason to be equally emotionally fukked in the head when someone say the name of one of his dead parents. You cannot have it both ways. Especially when Iron Man KNEW that WS was under brainwashed control.... but to say, "fucck that, he still killed my mother"...
That's why I don't get the hate for that scene.

Like, if someone says "Save *insert your dead mom's name here*", that's gonna stop ANYONE with a heart in their tracks if they weren't expecting it. I liked the scene. I sometimes feel like an outcast when I see that I'm one of the few who liked that it initiated the truce between Bat and Supes. But whatever. I'm just a general fan who doesn't have much stake in either world.

hood b. goode

shytposter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ProSports: NOLA. College: UMich. Europe: Arsenal
the GOOD
  • black panther:salute::myman:
  • the directing of these brothers:ohlawd: they did it again. little to no wasted scenes, everything had a purpose...
  • Buckys backstory:whoo:
  • Fight choreography. TOP NOTCH. Just wow. Cap throwing that shield at 122 MPH. Faster than an MLB pitcher. And the battles were on point.
  • Antman and spiderman:laff:

the BAD
  • Captain was one-dimensional...way too willing to protect bucky at all costs:scust:you got the sense that he would ride with bucky to the ends of the earth. i mean come on, at some point, you gotta look at the winter soldier's actions like :dahell:
  • Spiderman's / antman's intros were extremely rushed.
  • Too many characters and too much going on in general.

Overall this movie suffered from the same exact problem as Dawn of Justice. Too much happening at once.... And pretty long.

But it was still really good..i'd say 8/10

LinusCaldwell

From The Eastside with Love
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Thoughts Regarding The Depiction Of Black Heroism As Portrayed In Captain America:Civil War

Written by: Ziggiy

“Hiiipower: the three i’s represent heart, honor and respect. That’s how we carry ourselves in the world, period. Hiiipower, it basically is the simplest form of representing just being above all the madness, all the bullshyt. No matter what the world is going through, you’re always going to keep your dignity and carry yourself with this manner that it don’t phase you. Whatever you think negative is in your life. Overcoming that and still having that self-respect.

everybody raise three fingers in the air, the sky is falling the wind is calling, stand for something or die in the morning”

Kendrick Lamar

The concept of black heroism in mainstream American cinema has had a long, complex, and rather disappointing history. Often times, the “token” character of color within the genre of superhero films exists to serve one of two purposes, that to serve as comic relief or the “good friend” (servant) of the main protagonist on his/her path towards victory. 1998’s Blade, starring Wesley Snipes helped to establish a cunning, determined, and undeniably masculine and capable black hero within a world where only he possesses the capabilities to defeat vampiric entities hell bent on conquering the world. That film went onto gross more than $131.2 million worldwide, at the time considered a huge financial success, and spawning two more sequels. Ten years later, Will Smith’s Hancock; about a troubled amnesiac superhero struggling to rediscover his own sense of valor, grossed more than $620 million worldwide. These two examples could serve as proof that there is indeed an audience for black protagonists as leading material within the superhero/fantasy genre, and yet when Marvel Studios began laying the groundwork to birth their most popular comic properties into a full fledged cinematic universe, it would apparently take 7 years, 11 films, and over 9.3 BILLION DOLLARS in grosses before Kevin Feige (Studio Chief Of Marvel Films) and Disney decided it was time for Black protagonists to graduate from side-kick to lead. So when it was announced that Black Panther, the first Black superhero to debut in mainstream comics back in 1966, was to be featured prominently not only in Marvel’s 12th cinematic outing, Captain America: Civil War; but also star in his OWN forthcoming solo film, it was met with an outcry of jubilance….and also trepidation. This was not the first time a major Hollywood studio (Disney) had introduced a bonafide black “lead” character into the mythos of an enormously popular franchise, only to portray that character as an emasculated coward whose entire existence served to highlight the strengths of his white counterparts. And with that in mind, the less said about Star Wars: The Force Awakens Finn, the better.

To read more:

Arcs Of Excellence – Captain America Civil War Depiction of Black Heroism – FTESWL
Arcs Of Excellence – Captain America Civil War Depiction of Black Heroism

:salute: @Ziggiy