Captain America: Civil War (Official Thread)

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
I believe Civil War will gross more.

With that said, some people on here would obliterating even the fact that BvS huge opening weekend "only" netted $166 mil. They were damn near poppin champagne that Civil War was going to easily beat that. Well, it doesn't look so 'easy' right now. Civil War needs to (and prob will) have a big Sat and Sun to overcome BvS opening weekend. But by miracle, if Civil War falls short of BvS then the Marvel stans who were in this forum going crazy over BvS negative reviews and 'underwhelming' numbers deserve to take some flack.

And I agree that word of mouth did hurt BvS numbers overall. I enjoyed the movie, but it received so much hate (some justified, some that seemed like it was an agenda against the movie), that it just creamed the legs the movie could have had. Losing 3rd weekend to The Boss was laughable. DC will make a profit off the movie but it hopefully will motivate everyone associated in that film to step their game up for Justice League. If so, we all win.

Problem was that stans were claiming this would beat Star Wars opening weekend :stopitslime: when Star Wars was a once in every 10 years event. But I expect MCU stans to blame BvS for CW not hitting 200M

LinusCaldwell

From The Eastside with Love
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Thoughts Regarding The Depiction Of Black Heroism As Portrayed In Captain America:Civil War

Written by: Ziggiy

“Hiiipower: the three i’s represent heart, honor and respect. That’s how we carry ourselves in the world, period. Hiiipower, it basically is the simplest form of representing just being above all the madness, all the bullshyt. No matter what the world is going through, you’re always going to keep your dignity and carry yourself with this manner that it don’t phase you. Whatever you think negative is in your life. Overcoming that and still having that self-respect.

everybody raise three fingers in the air, the sky is falling the wind is calling, stand for something or die in the morning”

Kendrick Lamar

The concept of black heroism in mainstream American cinema has had a long, complex, and rather disappointing history. Often times, the “token” character of color within the genre of superhero films exists to serve one of two purposes, that to serve as comic relief or the “good friend” (servant) of the main protagonist on his/her path towards victory. 1998’s Blade, starring Wesley Snipes helped to establish a cunning, determined, and undeniably masculine and capable black hero within a world where only he possesses the capabilities to defeat vampiric entities hell bent on conquering the world. That film went onto gross more than $131.2 million worldwide, at the time considered a huge financial success, and spawning two more sequels. Ten years later, Will Smith’s Hancock; about a troubled amnesiac superhero struggling to rediscover his own sense of valor, grossed more than $620 million worldwide. These two examples could serve as proof that there is indeed an audience for black protagonists as leading material within the superhero/fantasy genre, and yet when Marvel Studios began laying the groundwork to birth their most popular comic properties into a full fledged cinematic universe, it would apparently take 7 years, 11 films, and over 9.3 BILLION DOLLARS in grosses before Kevin Feige (Studio Chief Of Marvel Films) and Disney decided it was time for Black protagonists to graduate from side-kick to lead. So when it was announced that Black Panther, the first Black superhero to debut in mainstream comics back in 1966, was to be featured prominently not only in Marvel’s 12th cinematic outing, Captain America: Civil War; but also star in his OWN forthcoming solo film, it was met with an outcry of jubilance….and also trepidation. This was not the first time a major Hollywood studio (Disney) had introduced a bonafide black “lead” character into the mythos of an enormously popular franchise, only to portray that character as an emasculated coward whose entire existence served to highlight the strengths of his white counterparts. And with that in mind, the less said about Star Wars: The Force Awakens Finn, the better.

To read more:

Arcs Of Excellence – Captain America Civil War Depiction of Black Heroism – FTESWL
Arcs Of Excellence – Captain America Civil War Depiction of Black Heroism

:salute: @Ziggiy

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just saw this flick the other night. Overall, the movie was :gladbron: and it does a lot right. My impressions:
The good-

• the did a good job balancing screen time between all the characters. It wasn't just an avengers flick in disguise, nor does it treat the rest of the characters like glorified cameos.
• the storyline. Both sides make decent points but also make mistakes as well.
• the airport fight was hype! Lots of great action in that scene, and the buildup was killer.
• everything involving Black Excellence Panther :blessed:
So dope!
• Everything involving Spider-man :banderas:
Props for not rehashing his origin story as well-- we already know.
• leaving out Thor and Hulk was a smart move. I like both characters but they're way too powerful. They would have ended everyone in five seconds and there would have been no story.

Negatives:
• too many quick cuts and overuse of shaky cam during several fight scenes. Makes it too obvious when they can't really do the actual moves. The Daredevil hallway fight >>>>>>

• there's a lot of baggage from previous movies thats :banderas: for us fans but might leave newcomers lost and confused. You'd have to have seen a few of the other films to really fully get the story. (It was still a good story)

• Baron Zemo was decent but not a Loki/Kingpin-tier villain IMO.

• (nitpicking) Aunt May wasn't :flabbynsick: enough

• (minor, this was out of their control) it's too bad they don't have the F4 rights, considering how important those characters are in the comic universe. Seeing Reed in action with the rest of the characters would have been hype

All in all, great movie. It's a top 5 marvel movie but Winter Soldier was still better IMO

Last edited:

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Daps
tumblr_inline_o6qlnmqlEW1sz5ok8_500.gif

:myman:

Mr210

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yea it showed spider man in his bedroom after the fight, he was playing with a new gadget I guess tony gave him. Aunt may comes in the room with some ice, and he says a guy named Steve from Brooklyn punched him in the eye and he had a "REALLY BIG FRIEND.. LIKE REALLY BIG" :mjlol: then after she leaves he toys with the gadget again and it shows the classic Spidey signal from the old comics (I'm not sure what it does)

this one
1513357-6a00d8345158e369e200e553b4d79a8834_320wi.jpeg

Damn it I thought there was only 1 after credit no wonder most people were staying

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I liked this and its the Avengers movie that we should have gotten instead of that messy ass AOU.

The Good:
The airport fight scenes were fun as hell
The Russos did a great job juggling so many characters
I think this is the best depiction of Peter Parker/Spider-Man we have seen on a big screen
All of Black Panther's action scenes were great

The Bad:
They made Baron Zemo lame as fukk
The opening scenes in Lagos were clunky and badly shot
Killing Crossbones was stupid
The majority of the non-action scenes dragged
The whole "Bucky killed Stark's Parents" twist was awful
I hated the Coming to America accent Boseman used as T'Challa; it was distracting to me

I give it a solid B

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
That's a L for you Marvel stans.

I'm sorry but all the shyt I seen some of yall giving BvS, and so far even with all the hate BvS is on pace for a bigger opening weekend than this "critically acclaimed" movie. :mjlol:

Again I've got no horse in this race, I love both movies, but some of yall was talking MAD shyt in the BvS and in this thread about BvS opening weekend and the flack it got and how this movie was gonna easily demolish it. Y'all better hope for a big Sat/Sun after all that shyt YALL was talking.

First of all I am not a Marvel Stan, I just posted the articles like I normally do. I have no pledge to alliegence to Marvel or DC. I liked both comics and I like both studios movies. I had no problem with Batman vs Superman and saw the day before screening. The same thing I did for civil war. The only issue I had with bvs was Lex Luther , to me it was a solid sequel to man of steel, another dc movie I liked.

:ufdup:

Last edited:

KevJ

Overall Nice Guy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
The stoop with dat dope fanny padding
Just saw this flick the other night. Overall, the movie was :gladbron: and it does a lot right. My impressions:
The good-

• the did a good job balancing screen time between all the characters. It wasn't just an avengers flick in disguise, nor does it treat the rest of the characters like glorified cameos.
• the storyline. Both sides make decent points but also make mistakes as well.
• the airport fight was hype! Lots of great action in that scene, and the buildup was killer.
• everything involving Black Excellence Panther :blessed:
So dope!
• Everything involving Spider-man :banderas:
Props for not rehashing his origin story as well-- we already know.
• leaving out Thor and Hulk was a smart move. I like both characters but they're way too powerful. They would have ended everyone in five seconds and there would have been no story.

Negatives:
• too many quick cuts and overuse of shaky cam during several fight scenes. Makes it too obvious when they can't really do the actual moves. The Daredevil hallway fight >>>>>>

• there's a lot of baggage from previous movies thats :banderas: for us fans but might leave newcomers lost and confused. You'd have to have seen a few of the other films to really fully get the story. (It was still a good story)

• Baron Zemo was decent but not a Loki/Kingpin-tier villain IMO.

• (nitpicking) Aunt May wasn't :flabbynsick: enough

• (minor, this was out of their control) it's too bad they don't have the F4 rights, considering how important those characters are in the comic universe. Seeing Reed in action with the rest of the characters would have been hype

All in all, great movie. It's a top 5 marvel movie but Winter Soldier was still better IMO

They do have the fantastic four rights now

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
That's a L for you Marvel stans.

I'm sorry but all the shyt I seen some of yall giving BvS, and so far even with all the hate BvS is on pace for a bigger opening weekend than this "critically acclaimed" movie. :mjlol:

Again I've got no horse in this race, I love both movies, but some of yall was talking MAD shyt in the BvS and in this thread about BvS opening weekend and the flack it got and how this movie was gonna easily demolish it. Y'all better hope for a big Sat/Sun after all that shyt YALL was talking.
when people say "i've got no horse in the race" but say the oppostie....also your math is wrong it's performing like iron man 3

Breh Obama

First Breh President. Coli Prophet.
Daps
Reppin
Leader of the righteous Brehs!
Brehs did we get a glimpse of Black Panthers sister the White Panther at the end? I'm talking about that Nubian beauty that was about to gI've widow that work st the end?

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
:russ: at Spidey telling Falcon "you have the right to remain silent"

This is Spidey's first time fighting in any sort of official capacity so his naive ass probably thought he actually had to give Falcon his Miranda rights :mjlol:
Forgot he even said that :russ:

Spidey was annoying the fukk outta WS and Falcon :heh:

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
As someone who hated BvS and loved this, I didn't expect Civil War to beat the opening weekend. I think below 200 mil sounds disappointing, but it being behind BvS in general should come as no surprise. That was the first time on screen meeting of these characters. One being Batman who is generally a license to print money. The trailer could've been stick figures and it would've sold gangbusters.

Had that movie been truly amazing, word of mouth would've carried BvS onward to perhaps beat Avengers. Instead you've got a movie that opened red hot because of the title, and got taken down 2 weeks later by "The Boss" in America. I'm interested to see just how strong Civil War's legs are here. It's anecdotal but I went 46 deep to the movie and almost everyone was making plans to see it again after. Some already have.
his math is wrong anyway it's heading to iromman 3 numbers and its already beating BVS easily