Cardio for a breh with bad knees

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
Walking as much as possible is recommended whether you have weak knees or not.

The bike is next, very low impact and you can set your pace. Swimming is the goat cardio exercise though. To many benefits to name but the best part is that its a full body work out. Crippled ppl swim for cardio.

Doin2Much Williams

Grace Under Fiyah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Insignificant posting from an insignificant poster
Was going to post this in the gym section but idk how busy that forum is.

anyway, what are some alternatives to running/treadmill for cardio ?

I have a bad knee due to prior ACL surgery that makes running uncomfortable/painful at times. So I’m trying to find some other ways to workout/do cardio that don’t involve running

and yes, I’m going to look into PT and other ways to get rid of the discomfort in my knee

suggestions?

Somebody just said swimming.

Get a gym membership and try it out. A lot of places have pools and it's easy on your joints.

KageDaBeast

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Durham, NC
Get you some ankle weights, and start doing leg raises on ya bad leg. Then bike to help loosen ya leg, followed by walking and you should be jogging/running in no time!

I'd torn mines years back, and that was pretty much what my physical therapist had me do.

:salute:

• Dap
Reactions: Dip
Daps
Everyone recommending swimming as it is a good all body exercise but there is a potential downside.
I used to date a woman who didn't exercise much except swimming. She was also a pretty healthy eater who cooked most of her meals at home.
Whenever we would go to the gym and she swam, she would insist I take her out and would pig out big time!
Apparently swimming made her hungry as fukk.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

Marzupial

Banned
Daps
Everyone recommending swimming as it is a good all body exercise but there is a potential downside.
I used to date a woman who didn't exercise much except swimming. She was also a pretty healthy eater who cooked most of her meals at home.
Whenever we would go to the gym and she swam, she would insist I take her out and would pig out big time!

Yeah I had a girl like that too she told me it was because of the chemicals they use to clean the pools

killacal

Banned
Daps
i might be dumb as fukk but wouldn’t that hurt his knees G?:jbhmm:
Your knees arent weight bearing joints, if they feel that way, you have weakness in your posterior chain.

Your knee only gets compromised when your hamstrings and glutes ain't doing their job

So squatting heavy ain't the answer, but he needs to strengthen his legs and core

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
OP, to answer your question:

1. Swimming. Probably the best with practically no pain on the joints. You also get some pretty good strength training
2. Boxing. Good HIIT
3. Biking. Just make sure you're gear is pretty low and your seat is set well. A high gear on hills can actually hurt your knees
*. Walking. Very underrated exercise. If you do it in such a way where walking is ingrained into your day to day then all the better for you. In college I was walking like 3-4 miles a day just doing my regular day-day activities around campus and the like. It gave me a little more wiggle room with my diet

Yeah I had a girl like that too she told me it was because of the chemicals they use to clean the pools

Idk if it's from the chemicals. I think it's a combination of an intense full body workout and swimming in cooler water (increases appetite)

Daps
Reppin
Lwo Lakeset
Biking seems to fukk up my knees more than anything because my bad knees seems to be linked with my ankles.

I just fight through the uncomfort for the most part and make sure to ice/stretch thoroughly. That seems to stop the pain

Swimming is the only sure bet but I hate swimming