Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Man this shyt ain't even a war movie.. I'm disappointed watching this right now
More like a disaster thriller

And I didn't care for any of these characters
There was hardly dialogue, and Nolans use of music to heighten the intensity of every action scene got way too annoying. 93 on rottentomatoes :what:
Overrated as fukk

Saving Private Ryan will forever be the GOAT war movie

Last edited:

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man this shyt ain't even a war movie.. I'm disappointed watching this right now
More like a disaster thriller

And I didn't care for any of these characters
There was hardly dialogue, and Nolans use of music to heighten the intensity of every action scene got way too annoying. 93 on rottentomatoes :what:
Overrated as fukk

Saving Private Ryan will forever be the GOAT war movie

Apocalypse Now >> Saving Private Ryan. I had to revisit that film and reminded me how perfect that was. Saving Private Ryan was cool, but I sorta am tired of Spielberg's happy-ending storybook closing endings.

Mr. Manhattan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Apocalypse Now >> Saving Private Ryan. I had to revisit that film and reminded me how perfect that was. Saving Private Ryan was cool, but I sorta am tired of Spielberg's happy-ending storybook closing endings.
Apocalypse Now is top 3.. i just can't shake the first 20 minutes of SPR, absolutely the most well directed and horrifying depiction of war in cinema history

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
Just watched it the 2nd time. I knew the stories were intertwined but I didn't know it was connected than originally thought. For instance
it turns out it was Tom Hardy that incidentally shot down the small boat that those young soldiers were hiding in.

I watched it a 3rd time and this is what I presumed happened. The destroyer sunk, Tommy, Alex and "Gibson" swam to the row boat that Cillian Murphy's character aka "the shivering man" was on. "Gibson" was able to get on but Tommy and Alex weren't allowed as told by Cillian Murphy's character. So, Gibson was tossed them a rope and Tommy and Alex held on while the rest rowed back. Now that next morning, CLEARLY they made it back on the beach. So what happens to Cillian Murphy? My suspicions was he said "fukk it" and tried to swim that English Channel. There was that one famous scene while Tommy, Alex, and "Gibson" was sitting on the beach and watched this man toss his shyt and walked into that English Channel like fukk this. If it aligns with the timeline, it is reasonable to presume that was "the shivering man" that Dawson's yacht rescued. It explains how he was just by himself on top of the sunk destroyer, and it matches with the timeline between Tommy, Alex, and "Gibson" seeing a man going into the English Channel and when Dawson's yacht meet up with him. My best presumption was he tried to swim across and couldn't.

:ohhh: You are blowing my fukken mind breh. I feel like I need to watch this again.

I watched it on IMAX. Scust at the broke ass brehs who watched it in any other format. :scust:

So beautiful. Aerial shots, sweeping land shots. :ohlawd:

I thought it was a great movie. Very suspenseful. The music was a little too much at times.
The dialogue was lacking. I read through this thread and saw that alot of people had trouble understanding what the characters were saying. This funny to me because I actually went to school with British people so I could understand most of the dialogue, but when that Scottish pilot (not Tom Hardy the other one) was speaking, I was like 80% of America (esp from the hillybilly states :mjpls:) probably has no fukken idea what he was saying.

So this brings up my next point, this movie is unabashedly British, British troops, all British actors and shout out to the unnamed British civilians who helped out the troops.

For all the nikkas that watched this movie bootlegged on your laptop (:martin:) your impoverished opinion does not count.

For all the brehs, talking about they fell asleep watching this movie, first of all :duck: and second of all just say you didn't like the movie and keep it moving. :ld:

Winston Churchill, say want you want about this motherfukker but he had way with words. :ohlawd:

I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our Island home, to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone. At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of His Majesty’s Government-every man of them. That is the will of Parliament and the nation. The British Empire and the French Republic, linked together in their cause and in their need, will defend to the death their native soil, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength. Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God’s good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.

I do have a question though,

When the old guy turned the boat around at the right moment, and his son was like how did you know to do that? And he was like my son who was in the RAF was guiding me. The one who died. Did I interpret that scene correctly? I have to say that was a weak way of introducing his dead son.

ETA: This is one of those movies almost everything is given away in the trailer. :lolbron:

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:ohhh: You are blowing my fukken mind breh. I feel like I need to watch this again.

I watched it on IMAX. Scust at the broke ass brehs who watched it in any other format. :scust:

So beautiful. Aerial shots, sweeping land shots. :ohlawd:

I thought it was a great movie. Very suspenseful. The music was a little too much at times.
The dialogue was lacking. I read through this thread and saw that alot of people had trouble understanding what the characters were saying. This funny to me because I actually went to school with British people so I could understand most of the dialogue, but when that Scottish pilot (not Tom Hardy the other one) was speaking, I was like 80% of America (esp from the hillybilly states :mjpls:) probably has no fukken idea what he was saying.

So this brings up my next point, this movie is unabashedly British, British troops, all British actors and shout out to the unnamed British civilians who helped out the troops.

For all the nikkas that watched this movie bootlegged on your laptop (:martin:) your impoverished opinion does not count.

For all the brehs, talking about they fell asleep watching this movie, first of all :duck: and second of all just say you didn't like the movie and keep it moving. :ld:

Winston Churchill, say want you want about this motherfukker but he had way with words. :ohlawd:

I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our Island home, to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone. At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of His Majesty’s Government-every man of them. That is the will of Parliament and the nation. The British Empire and the French Republic, linked together in their cause and in their need, will defend to the death their native soil, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength. Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God’s good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.

I do have a question though,

When the old guy turned the boat around at the right moment, and his son was like how did you know to do that? And he was like my son who was in the RAF was guiding me. The one who died. Did I interpret that scene correctly? I have to say that was a weak way of introducing his dead son.

ETA: This is one of those movies almost everything is given away in the trailer. :lolbron:

To answer your question. You interpreted it right. But it was key to understand why Mr. Dawson despite everything was so dedicated in the mission.

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
To answer your question. You interpreted it right. But it was key to understand why Mr. Dawson despite everything was so dedicated in the mission.

You think so. :jbhmm: He would be the right age to have fought in world war I. I thought it was just honor and duty to England. Patriotism and what not. I have read all your comments in this thread, you have very good insight into this movie btw. :obama:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
An original released right in the thick of summer on it's way to grossing 400 mil ww :wow:

A british story no less :wow:

Nolan the last superstar director left

Daps
An original released right in the thick of summer on it's way to grossing 400 mil ww :wow:

It cost one hundred plus million to make with at least fifty million in marketing, so it really is not that impressive.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps

the fact that it's British is irrelevant it pertains to cacs and cac sensibilities. Knowing that the possibilities are limitless
What was happy about old Ryan crying at Tom thanks tombstone again? :why: