City of God was the last classic hood movie

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
6 min into this video and all its telling me about is the actors?

:beli:

Stick with it, trust me. The backstory is important so the movie makes sense. shyt gon get real, damn this thread made me feel like watching this now one of my all time favorites. So much real live gangsta ass shyt goin down, goddamn my nikka Benny tho, cuz was the Zack Morris of the favela....:wow2:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
one of the all-time goat movies. top 10 for sure..maybe even top 5.

even my girl loved it

benny :salute:

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
The movie was way more gangsta than reality, I been to the City of God (real name Cidade de Deus). Good people there, a lot of poverty still. But Rio has done pretty well curbbing some of the violence. U can still get caught up tho, just gotta be careful. Violence usually between the drug traffickers and the police.

The movie been one of my favorites since this older cat gave it to me on bootleg right when it came out. First taste of Brazil and I been hooked.

2wgeydw.jpg

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L

Still waiting for this doc to drop. It's crazy how most of the people in City of God still STRUGGLING. Brazilian actors and actresses (at least the black ones) get paid NADA. Shortie in the beginning of the movie whose man got shot by the police while chasing the car, she STILL live in a favela called Vidigal I been too. They got paid peanuts. Only people who have had success is Seu Jorge cause he a musician (played Knockout Ned) and the girl who Rocket was in love with. She from a well-off family to begin with and speaks other languages.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
The movie was way more gangsta than reality, I been to the City of God (real name Cidade de Deus). Good people there, a lot of poverty still. But Rio has done pretty well curbbing some of the violence. U can still get caught up tho, just gotta be careful. Violence usually between the drug traffickers and the police.

The movie been one of my favorites since this older cat gave it to me on bootleg right when it came out. First taste of Brazil and I been hooked.

2wgeydw.jpg

lol, you ain't Brazilian and strolled through a favela? :dahell:

Anyway, wasn't the movie based on 1970s Rio? I can't imagine you could go there as a foreigner and not come out chopped.

A.J.Soprano

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Burnt SUVs, Swimming Pools, Dominican dimes and Al
Still waiting for this doc to drop. It's crazy how most of the people in City of God still STRUGGLING. Brazilian actors and actresses (at least the black ones) get paid NADA. Shortie in the beginning of the movie whose man got shot by the police while chasing the car, she STILL live in a favela called Vidigal I been too. They got paid peanuts. Only people who have had success is Seu Jorge cause he a musician (played Knockout Ned) and the girl who Rocket was in love with. She from a well-off family to begin with and speaks other languages.

how much money did the film make at the box office?

no one in that classic film should be broke right now

:mindblown:

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
If you like urban/hood flicks and especially from other countries..

peep- My brother the devil. I watched it last year and was knocked back..its from the UK and this is a damn good film. I hate those bullshyt anuvahood/adulthood etc sorry but those flicks stinks.

But My Brother the devil is a dope indie flick.

Cole Cash

They took a hammer and sickle to my back
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Maryland
because i never saw this movie with subtitles on i had no idea who knockout ned or "rocket" were because thats not what they are called in the movie.

finally i turned the subtitles on and figured out that mane do galinha (chicken manny) is supposed to be knockout ned. i was mindblown.

Cole Cash

They took a hammer and sickle to my back
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Maryland
lol, you ain't Brazilian and strolled through a favela? :dahell:

Anyway, wasn't the movie based on 1970s Rio? I can't imagine you could go there as a foreigner and not come out chopped.

they give tours. me personally, i dont go to any favela in rio because i have almost no family there, however in sao paolo and bahia its a different story because i got family all over both states.

. generally speaking i dont go anywhere shady in rio because hi jackings are so big out there and i got no family to help me out there.