City of God was the last classic hood movie

A.J.Soprano

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Burnt SUVs, Swimming Pools, Dominican dimes and Al
Benny's girl is the broad from I Am Legend

IALD-04520.jpg

I never even knew this was the same chick, all them dime hispanic broads look the same to me

:lupe:

Fuk her for sh1tting on the homie Rocket tho

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
lol, you ain't Brazilian and strolled through a favela? :dahell:

Anyway, wasn't the movie based on 1970s Rio? I can't imagine you could go there as a foreigner and not come out chopped.

Like dude said they got tours for certain favelas, not sure if City of God got one. I went with 2 other American dudes who were white I was living with in another favela lmaooo. And like u mentioned, it's cooled down from back in the day. They normal people just poor as fucc. But there are favelas still hot, specifically in the North zone of Rio. I ain't fuccin with those favelas unless I'm wit someone who lives there. And even then, once u been to 1 Rio favela, u seen them all really. I been to like 4-5. All look the same lol.

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
they give tours. me personally, i dont go to any favela in rio because i have almost no family there, however in sao paolo and bahia its a different story because i got family all over both states.

. generally speaking i dont go anywhere shady in rio because hi jackings are so big out there and i got no family to help me out there.

I'm moving to São Paulo in August, only been once for a few days. You got any recommendations on where to stay? I gotta be close to a metro station.

gho3st

plata or plomo
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Still waiting for this doc to drop. It's crazy how most of the people in City of God still STRUGGLING. Brazilian actors and actresses (at least the black ones) get paid NADA. Shortie in the beginning of the movie whose man got shot by the police while chasing the car, she STILL live in a favela called Vidigal I been too. They got paid peanuts. Only people who have had success is Seu Jorge cause he a musician (played Knockout Ned) and the girl who Rocket was in love with. She from a well-off family to begin with and speaks other languages.
From the looks of things you wouldn't think that the majority of Brazil is either black or brown.

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
it's a different kind of racism in Brazil...i'll say this....if i died and was giving the chance to come back and I had to choose between being born a black person in the US or Brazil...I'd choose the US instantly lol....despite the racism here, we still got a real fighting chance to make it out the hood and make something out of ourselves...in Brazil in those favelas man....outta every 10 black brazilian men, I bet like only 1 or 2 make it out...especially in places like Bahia...things are improving tho..I kno a few middle class black Brazilians in São Paulo and Rio

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
Heard the racism is worse down there than it is here in the states

It's more classism than outright racism, like here in the US you have hateful racism where people are still getting lynched/killed just because they're black. Down there, it's more or less if you're born poor, you're fukked regardless of color.

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
My favorite all-time

Ditto.

Have had this poster for like 5 years :

aLsQfSo.jpg

Benny's girl is the broad from I Am Legend

IALD-04520.jpg

She's actually had a nice little career. Come to think of it, I've seen a decent amount of her films : City of God, I Am Legend, Predators, Blindness, Repo Men.

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
Still waiting for this doc to drop. It's crazy how most of the people in City of God still STRUGGLING. Brazilian actors and actresses (at least the black ones) get paid NADA. Shortie in the beginning of the movie whose man got shot by the police while chasing the car, she STILL live in a favela called Vidigal I been too. They got paid peanuts. Only people who have had success is Seu Jorge cause he a musician (played Knockout Ned) and the girl who Rocket was in love with. She from a well-off family to begin with and speaks other languages.

Hmm, shame. Seems like a Slumdog Millionaire type of situation...(Although, Slumdog made a LOT more money then City of God).

To be fair, the directors of City of God would later go on and put together this television show (And later on, a tv movie to end the series) called City of Men. They didn't necessarily abandon them.

tghgQIO.gif
Agf2YEw.jpg

It stars Douglas Silva (Li'l Dice) and Darlan Cunha (The little kid that shoots the other little kid) from City of God. Also has cameos from other cast members.

I notice from around the net that a lot of people that love City of God haven't even heard of this let alone seen it...I definitely recommend. It's a bit more light-hearted, but it portrays the lifestyle of growing up in a favela damn well (At least, it feels genuine). You follow these dudes lives from like age 13 until they are young adults.

It's funny that you were talking about their opportunities, the last episode is this strange, sort of surreal, 4th wall breaking plot where the actors contemplate what's going to happen to them in the future....:to:

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
it pisses me off when i try to recommend this movie and people dismiss it because its in another language plus the subtitles. people are so close minded to different type of movies. i tell them to stick to Tyler Perry and Transformers.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
one of the GOAT movies..:blessed:

The way Ned went out...it :to: but it was the streets man...but damn...

and i put Ze up there with damn near any villain in cinema, dude even had a super natural element to him. And had a code up until Benny died.