Classics Discussion: Snoop Dogg

Which of these Snoop Dogg albums are classic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
Ok so some of y'all will be familiar with a project I'm deciding to run. I made this thread: The Official 'Classic Album' Discussion Thread, trying to reach a conclusion as to what defines a classic album. After much discussion, I am running with this definition personally, so take it as you will when you consider your classic albums. But this definition in particular was most agreed upon.

Classic: 1. An album considered by consensus of the core hip hop community to be of the highest quality (doesn't have to be perfect or flawless, just an album that the consensus deems the shyt).
2. Assuming that condition 1 is met, is this an album that has stood the test of time amongst the core hip hop community? Is that an album still held in high regard, still referenced at least ten years after its release? By a consensus of the hip hop community?

Props to @mobbinfms for the definition and also for his help generally in helping me with ideas to create these threads.

So I'll be going through one artist per day, and I will list out all their discography or close to all of it until the year 2005, as we decided that an album needs at least 10 years of existence before it can be called a classic or not.

-----------------------------

To help bring even more attention to these threads, I'm gonna create a hashtag (again props to mobbinfms for the idea) and I urge you guys to click on the tag and click on the option to watch the tag.

Here it is: #coliclassics

----------------

Snoop Dogg is our main focus today.

snoop.jpg

Get your votes in!

I will be making a POLL. For each album I will present a YES or NO option so if you think that particular album is a classic, you click 'yes' on the poll for THAT album and vice-versa. The acceptance rate for an album to be deemed a CERTIFIED classic is 80%.

If you don't think an album is a classic, DO NOT LEAVE THE POLL BLANK. You vote NO for that album instead so at least we register your vote.

I will NOT count any comments in the thread as votes, you must use the poll. The comments section should be used for discussion only.

Tagging some mods:

@FreshAIG @That Singer Guy... @hustlemania @houston911 @SoulController

str8up

dial 1900-raekwon
Supporter
Daps
Doggystyle only, greatest hip hop album of all time

The only other one that could have been in consideration for me was No Limit Top Dogg

And next year I'd go with Blue Carpet Treatment

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
There's not even one remotely good track on this album

They're all top tier, even the lesser known and appreciated ones like Pump Pump. Just such an adventure from start to end.

What are everyone's top 3 tracks on the LP?

- Murder was the Case
- Tha Shiznit
- Doggy Dog World (best song)

str8up

dial 1900-raekwon
Supporter
Daps
There's not even one remotely good track on this album

They're all top tier, even the lesser known and appreciated ones like Pump Pump. Just such an adventure from start to end.

What are everyone's top 3 tracks on the LP?

- Murder was the Case
- Tha Shiznit
- Doggy Dog World (best song)

1. Ain't No Fun
2. Doggy Dogg World
3.Gz up Hoes Down

IAmListenin'

Rookie
Daps
I don't listen to it anymore, but obviously Doggystyle.

doesn't that mean that Doggystyle doesn't quite hold up?

Well, Doggystyle isn't among my all-time favorite hip-hop albums, but a lot of that probably has to do with where I am in my life now.

I was in high school when Doggystyle dropped, and I was bumping it like everyone else. I always said it was better than The Chronic, an opinion I still hold. But twenty-some years later, I'm a grown man raising kids. Doggystyle doesn't do anything for me anymore. Some stuff I used to listen to when I was younger I've outgrown now.

But the subjective fact that I don't listen to Doggystyle anymore and that it isn't one of my favorite albums doesn't mean I can deny the objective fact that it's a classic of the genre. Just like when I said the other day that Cuban Linx was a Top 10 favorite hip-hop album for me, that was independent of its classic status.

I've said before that I couldn't care less whether an album is classic or not because it has nothing to do with my enjoyment of it. Just as I can recognize that there are albums on my list of favorites that aren't classics (as I said in the case of Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous, which is in my Top 80 but I voted against being a classic), there are albums that are considered classics that I don't care for. There are also hip-hop artists who are probably going to come up in this series that I never cared for, both at the time they were releasing their music and afterwards, and thus their albums will never be anywhere near any list of favorites I compile.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Well, Doggystyle isn't among my all-time favorite hip-hop albums, but a lot of that probably has to do with where I am in my life now.

I was in high school when Doggystyle dropped, and I was bumping it like everyone else. I always said it was better than The Chronic, an opinion I still hold. But twenty-some years later, I'm a grown man raising kids. Doggystyle doesn't do anything for me anymore. Some stuff I used to listen to when I was younger I've outgrown now.

But the subjective fact that I don't listen to Doggystyle anymore and that it isn't one of my favorite albums doesn't mean I can deny the objective fact that it's a classic of the genre. Just like when I said the other day that Cuban Linx was a Top 10 favorite hip-hop album for me, that was independent of its classic status.

I've said before that I couldn't care less whether an album is classic or not because it has nothing to do with my enjoyment of it. Just as I can recognize that there are albums on my list of favorites that aren't classics (as I said in the case of Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous, which is in my Top 80 but I voted against being a classic), there are albums that are considered classics that I don't care for. There are also hip-hop artists who are probably going to come up in this series that I never cared for, both at the time they were releasing their music and afterwards, and thus their albums will never be anywhere near any list of favorites I compile.

I agree.

I don't think Doggystyle holds up all the way through, but it has at least 3 or 4 stellar songs that are still best of the genre. I always found Aint No Fun sophomoric. "Serial Killa" and "For My nikkaz & bytches" never caught on with me.

Top 3 tracks:

Gin & Juice
Murder Was The Case
Who Am I