College degree is the new HS dipolma.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
This pretty sad, because I could have made $10 when I was in HS. You can't possibly tell me that's good money with a straight face :why:

:laff: @ non engineering/medical graduates. Welcome to a life of poverty.

Two more years left on my chemical engineering degree and I will be caking off that oil money :ahh:

Got a chemical engineering degree with biochem ...

Acquiring & raising capital for chemical/medical companies and being your own boss>>>>>>>>>> sitting and dabbling with instrumentation all day and arguing with dumb azz lab chemists

:jiggalol:
:whew: sh*t just got real in here...

Typical Coli poster just elevated a status...

Also too many cats in here unfairly sh*t on Art degrees. There's a lot of dope innovation that can come out of possessing an art degree. I even posted this video yesterday as well:
FRANCE 24 Tech 24 - 02/18/2013 TECH 24 - YouTube

People should study what they want. I just feel that individuals of hispanic or AA descent, who want to go to school debt-free and be able to acquire a reasonable job, post college should go into engineering.

mtu wa chuma

archangel of terror
Supporter
Daps
Lol @ everyone can be an engineer. If it was that easy a lot of people wouldve done it. Engineering/medical schools are some of the toughest to get into and even requires willpower and intelligence to see you through.
Unlike liberal arts degrees where you can skip lectures and still somehow graduate with a good degree, in engineering you cant even afford to miss one lecture.also forget any social life and to be brutally honest, if you're naturally dumb you aint gonna make in 4yrs time.

Almost 40% of the people in my first year dropped out and im pretty sure the number will dwindle as we get to the final stages. Survival of the fittest baby :win:

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You are clearly don't know the diversity when it comes to science and engineering.

Geeks create all the advanced things you take for granted.
No one should go to a 4 years degree to study fashion,home design and basket weaving!!!!...:mindblown:

Art students are struggling and rightfully so...in a few years the economy will weed them out.

"There's only so long fake thugs can pretend "-Jay-z.

I will flip it and say only so long fake degrees can be sold.

And you clearly haven't read the admissions stats for B-School and Law Schools.

Geeks might create technology, but it also takes creative types to market and sell those same gadgets.

Plus there is a cap for Engineering Majors who remain in that field. Alot of Liberal Arts majors know that they will need an advanced degree and most go to Law School, Graduate Schools etc and end up running the country.

Politicians, Economists, CEOs, Division V.Ps etc. mostly come from a Liberal arts or Business background.

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
It seems the solution most people say in all the college threads is

Just everyone be an engineer:mjpls:

Not everyone is built for that

Chris.B

Banned
Daps

Geeks might create technology, but it also takes creative types to market and sell those same gadgets.

Plus there is a cap for Engineering Majors who remain in that field. Alot of Liberal Arts majors know that they will need an advanced degree and most go to Law School, Graduate Schools etc and end up running the country.

Politicians, Economists, CEOs, Division V.Ps etc. mostly come from a Liberal arts or Business background.

if liberal arts is this good like you are saying then why are most graduates in basket weaving and wall painting/home decorations struggling to find jobs or any good paying jobs at all?

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits

I hate this argument. People should major in w/e they want

Surprising Facts About CEOs - Business Insider
Eight Out Of China’s Top Nine Government Officials Are Scientists | Singularity Hub

My only complaint is towards people who major in non-technical fields then throw tantrums demanding a job. In response I say, be prepared to grind / hustle :manny:

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
It seems the solution most people say in all the college threads is

Just everyone be an engineer:mjpls:

Not everyone is built for that

No the point here is college degree should not be a requirement for EVERY good paying job.

why can't we have jobs that pay good wages without college degrees? :manny:

At my job even the company receptionist has a degree and yup you guessed it's a liberal arts degree :russ:

I admire a plumber or electrician and anyone who went to a trade school to develop a SKILL over a liberal art undergrad any day.

in the 21st century you get payed based on skill, a degree helps but SKILL is what you should be aiming for.

If you know how to fix cars pursue it...and go to trade school, you will be more successful and find happiness that way, than sitting in an office making 40K a year wondering why you are 100K in debt from pursing the fashion design degree :snoop:

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hate this argument. People should major in w/e they want

Surprising Facts About CEOs - Business Insider
Eight Out Of China’s Top Nine Government Officials Are Scientists | Singularity Hub

My only complaint is towards people who major in non-technical fields then throw tantrums demanding a job. In response I say, be prepared to grind / hustle :manny:

Liberal arts degrees often get a bad rap, with many criticizing them for not leading to careers in high-paying or in-demand jobs. Yet these kinds of stereotypes don’t tell the whole story about liberal arts majors in the real world. While many liberal arts grads won’t go on to find work in English, history, or philosophy, they will find great jobs working in a wide range of other professions, very often using skills they learned through their college liberal arts programs. Business is no exception, and many top executives don’t have MBAs or degrees in business at all. In fact, 6% of the CEOs of the top 500 S&P companies and 15% of the CEOs of Fortune 500 companies hold undergraduate degrees in the liberal arts. Here, we highlight just a few of the notable CEOs who started their careers in the liberal arts.

8 Famous CEOs Who Were Liberal Arts Majors - OnlineMBA.com

You can be successful even with a Liberal Arts degree. But I do agree, you can't major in Philosophy and then bytch about having to hustle harder than someone who majored in engineering. You should accept the reality of your decision.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
everyone just follow your own path, if you're intelligent and hard working you will be fine...you engineering cats are annoying as fukk, yeah, we know it's a good degree to get.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
Gonna be going back to college.

Currently checking out colleges in Cali for the major of Industrial-management engineering.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
U.S. pushes for more scientists, but the jobs aren’t there - The Washington Post

:mjpls:

scary truth is that all labor is an adversarial game. if you're eating good now, a future generation of people like you wont be, and it's hard to predict when it will happen

who knows if any degree will help or hurt. the president of my company is a communications major, making hella cash.
:mindblown: @ all the job outsourcing....

Somehow I gotta blame the rethugs, especially if this doesn't go through:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/18/s...an-brain.html?pagewanted=2&pagewanted=all&_r=

It's no secret that biologist, chemist and physicist are struggling to some degree. I hear sh*t all the time...

edit:
:wow: after reading this article, I can see why this cat, James Holmes went off:
Salaries for university post-doc jobs start at about $39,000, according to the National Postdoctoral Association. They require a science PhD — which can leave the recipient buried in debt. Benefits are usually minimal and, until a decade ago, even health insurance was rare.

Stephan, the Georgia State economist, calls the post-doc system a “pyramid scheme” that enriches — in prestige, scientific publications and federal grant dollars — a few senior scientists at the expense of a large pool of young, cheap ones.

Disillusioned

“I don’t think anybody minds sucking it up for a year or two, seeing it as an apprenticeship,” said Zoe Fonseca-Kelly, a PhD geneticist who spent seven years as a post-doc at three universities. “What’s very frustrating is that it’s turned into a five-year process. People get very disillusioned with it.”

Fonseca-Kelly got fed up with it, too. She left the lab for an administrative job at Harvard Medical School.

The post-doc system is “dysfunctional and not sustainable in the long term,” Princeton University President Shirley Tilghman told top brass at NIH in June. Tilghman heads an NIH-appointed panel that is wrestling with overhauling how that agency trains new scientists. A new report from her group calls for better pay and more benefits for post-docs and major changes in how NIH funds young scientists.

Like many scientists, Amaral grew disillusioned with the system that left her with an expensive degree but few job options. She left her lab in December after federal funding for her post-doc position ran out. She now works as an administrator at the University of Alabama-Birmingham and is in a “holding pattern,” unsure whether — or how — to advance a science career she spent more than a decade working toward.

“I’ve listened to this stuff on the news about how we need more scientists and engineers,” she said. “I’m thinking, ‘What are you talking about?’ We’re here. We need something to do besides manual labor for another academic person.”

Haas, the former drug company chemist, has even harsher words. She plans to “get out of Jersey and get out of science” when her daughter graduates from high school in two years. “She’s very good at everything, very smart,” Haas said of her daughter. “She loves chemistry, loves math. I tell her, ‘Don’t go into science.’ I’ve made that very clear to her.”
:wow:

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
:mindblown: @ all the job outsourcing....

Somehow I gotta blame the rethugs, especially if this doesn't go through:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/18/s...an-brain.html?pagewanted=2&pagewanted=all&_r=

It's no secret that biologist, chemist and physicist are struggling to some degree. I hear sh*t all the time...
i know a chemistry major working at a call center, driving a raggedy ass BMW from the 1980s

i keep seeing people mindlessly promote STEM and it's scary cuz i had already been reading articles about the overpromotion of scientists years ago. a lot of these scientists that are not counted as unemployed are being exploited through a series of temporary assignmentst that pay little and have no benefits. they might even require you to uproot yourself periodically to chase these temp opportunities.

Suicide King

#OldBlack
Daps
No the point here is college degree should not be a requirement for EVERY good paying job.

why can't we have jobs that pay good wages without college degrees? :manny:

At my job even the company receptionist has a degree and yup you guessed it's a liberal arts degree :russ:

I admire a plumber or electrician and anyone who went to a trade school to develop a SKILL over a liberal art undergrad any day.

in the 21st century you get payed based on skill, a degree helps but SKILL is what you should be aiming for.

If you know how to fix cars pursue it...and go to trade school, you will be more successful and find happiness that way, than sitting in an office making 40K a year wondering why you are 100K in debt from pursing the fashion design degree :snoop:

The real issue, everyone needs to start scaling back, not everyone needs to be a homeowner or college grad.

Back in the days, most people would work in their 20's and 30's & move their way up in their companies. This is how it was done for decades, now I feel like those days are coming back.

mtu wa chuma

archangel of terror
Supporter
Daps

You forgot one key thing about these politicians. They went to the best schools in the country. Youve git a better chance of succeeding in life with an engineering degree from some no name school than with a liberal arts degree from an equally no name school.