College degree is the new HS dipolma.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
i know a chemistry major working at a call center, driving a raggedy ass BMW from the 1980s

i keep seeing people mindlessly promote STEM and it's scary cuz i had already been reading articles about the overpromotion of scientists years ago. a lot of these scientists that are not counted as unemployed are being exploited through a series of temporary assignmentst that pay little and have no benefits. they might even require you to uproot yourself periodically to chase these temp opportunities.

It's politics :manny:

still :smh: @ being an apprentice for over 5 years...

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
the real problem is that the burden of job training has been shifted onto the individual instead of either the employer or the government.

it used to be that companies had a training program, or they outsourced it to a training firm. then, the government started paying for it through high school vocational courses or communitiy skill centers in urban areas. now they just want you to take out massive loans and guess which degree will work best for you.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You forgot one key thing about these politicians. They went to the best schools in the country. Youve git a better chance of succeeding in life with an engineering degree from some no name school than with a liberal arts degree from an equally no name school.

At the national level yes. At the local level alot of them went to state schools. But i get your point.

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
i know a chemistry major working at a call center, driving a raggedy ass BMW from the 1980s

i keep seeing people mindlessly promote STEM and it's scary cuz i had already been reading articles about the overpromotion of scientists years ago. a lot of these scientists that are not counted as unemployed are being exploited through a series of temporary assignmentst that pay little and have no benefits. they might even require you to uproot yourself periodically to chase these temp opportunities.

:scusthov:

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Breh, you forget how large the field of engineering is. Industrial engineers are some of the most creative people you'll ever meet.

The thing about engineering is that there are 5 major disciplines: Electrical, Mechanical, Industrial, Civil, and Chemical. And these jobs are so far apart, its completely separate degrees. I mean, if someone really wants to be a writer or painter i can't knock that, but obtaining a degree in a familiar field of engineering is like a guarantee that somebody somewhere will fukk with you and pay you for your time.

Personally, art school is the biggest shame to me. If your an artist and you have to pay somebody to make you a better artist you really aren't an artist.

Finance major but I agree with this dude. The fact of the matter is Engineers are well revered no matter what. If not for being good at math and what not, at the very least they are valued because they're creative, can handle tough work loads (as shown by university schedules) and have the ability to apply knowledge to real life shyt.'

Many of the worlds CEO's and even Financiers started off as Engineers. And many were Accountants or Economics majors too.

Alan Mullaly and Tim Cook for instance. Engineers dominate for sure. That being said, it doesnt mean STEM = automatic fortune 500 job. Majority of STEM's are stuck in the middle class too.

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

it depends which STEM it is. engineering or compsci you can still get a decent job 40-60k out of undergrad quite easily.

but bio or chem :scusthov: unless you can get into med school (which isnt easy) you gonna be stuck doing research assistant crap at your college which dont pay much better than retail. at that point a bio or chem major isnt much better off than liberal arts

accounting is still the safest route out there imo :manny:

Suicide King

#OldBlack
Daps
but bio or chem :scusthov: unless you can get into med school (which isnt easy) you gonna be stuck doing research assistant crap at your college which dont pay much better than retail. at that point a bio or chem major isnt much better off than liberal arts

liberal arts = general education degree
bio or chem or psychology = general education degree

By their mere nature you gonna have to get more training or specialization.

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This pretty sad, because I could have made $10 when I was in HS. You can't possibly tell me that's good money with a straight face :why:

:whew: sh*t just got real in here...

Typical Coli poster just elevated a status...

Also too many cats in here unfairly sh*t on Art degrees. There's a lot of dope innovation that can come out of possessing an art degree. I even posted this video yesterday as well:
FRANCE 24 Tech 24 - 02/18/2013 TECH 24 - YouTube

People should study what they want. I just feel that individuals of hispanic or AA descent, who want to go to school debt-free and be able to acquire a reasonable job, post college should go into engineering.

Elaborate :whatever:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Just by the way some of the people in this thread write I can tell that they are not in college or anywhere close to obtaining a degree but this is the-coli so I will let you cook.

Anyway, about 33% of the population will have a bachelors degree. That is still far less that those earning a high school diploma. Those who do not go to college at all are not going to find shyt out there unless they are lucky and someone hooks them up.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Elaborate :whatever:
The typical Coli poster: makes over six figures a year and has an engineering or IT degree / certification.

But nobody ever mentions anything about being their own boss and whatnot...

Just by the way some of the people in this thread write I can tell that they are not in college or anywhere close to obtaining a degree but this is the-coli so I will let you cook.

Anyway, about 33% of the population will have a bachelors degree. That is still far less that those earning a high school diploma. Those who do not go to college at all are not going to find shyt out there unless they are lucky and someone hooks them up.

shots fired?

I type nothing like how I write or speak. That'd be way too time consuming. I honestly don't even know how some cat write out paragraphs and sh*t...

The more I write the more grammatical mistakes occur. :manny:

Listen

Tell me moar
Daps
Reppin
A few Floors Down from the Daily Grind
accounting is still the safest route out there imo :manny:

As an old man on here, I can attest to this.

I spent 6 months working at a for profit college in 2002, and let me tell you....

They could NEVER fill the Associate Degree Accounting classes and they had us trying like Crazy to put people there.

The local businesses who promised to hire people BEFORE THEY EVEN GRADUATED WITH ASSOCIATE DEGREES were all looking for base level accountants, and could never get enough.

You can live the middle class life from here to eternity if you can handle being an accountant.

Daps
My friend is going school to be a RadTech. 80k starting and she won't have any BA.

She is a great writer and actually sells plays to local theater groups, but she realizes that is her hobby. I don't understand why liberal arts people can't just have hobbies?

I love music and I have all kinds of musical equipment and I write music for independent films. I have never taken one class in music. It's just a hobby, and something that I personally enjoy. I would never try to make a living at it because in order to do so, you have to be the Ultimate best of the best.

That's what people don't understand.

I don't have to be the top 1% of CPAs to make decent living. You don't have to be the most accomplished engineer to make 200k a year.

But in order to make 100K+ (even 50k+) as an artist, actor writer, poet, musician, or educator, you have to be in the .000001% of ability. You have to be the on the God level. Not just talent in your trade, you also have to be good-looking, have the gift of gab, and have reasonably strong will. Why even try?

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The typical Coli poster: makes over six figures a year and has an engineering or IT degree / certification.

But nobody ever mentions anything about being their own boss and whatnot...

shots fired?

I type nothing like how I write or speak. That'd be way too time consuming. I honestly don't even know how some cat write out paragraphs and sh*t...

The more I write the more grammatical mistakes occur. :manny:

dwightcmon.png
Maybe because I am ?

I can't speak for anyone here but getting a degree was the worst decision I ever made. I only took it because I 'get' chemistry and math and also to please my folks...

As for what I do, I've covered this numerous times....check this thread

I guess I am "typical" coli poster but most of them ain't about that life ...I'm losing outchea
pop-janet_jackson-upset_20120419_1041968470.png

Got 1 block of Celsion (CLSN) stock and watching it tank from 8 to 1 dollar per share is noooooooooooo fun
pop-janet_jackson-upset_20120419_1041968470.png