Cornel west deliverin that ether as usual..,

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
nah i didn't see this response :(

:comeon: it's a serious questions. What's teh difference between black people fighting for equal treatment and the LGBT community doing the same?

I don't know many African-Americans who aren't offended by this comparison and I'm for LGBT getting their rights, but it offends me too.

LGBT are not subjugated to anywhere near the treatment that African-Americans had, they are not disenfranchised and denied basic rights. They aren't facing what my aunts were facing during the Civil Rights Movement.

There is no such thing as "coming out of the closet" from being black. You couldn't hide that. Much of what LGBT people are looking for (not all because obviously passing things onto significant others and other marriage rights are in play), is symbolic and about being viewed as an equal human being by society at large. What African-Americans were fighting for what was as concrete as it was psychological. It was the double whammy. I cannot equate the two things. More importantly any minority with a problem just automatically assumes that black people should be natural allies because we have been discriminated against throughout this nation's history, but very often those same groups do not partner or champion African-American causes.

Look at that backlash the LGBT community through at black people after that proposition failed in California years back.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

:comeon: it's a serious questions. What's teh difference between black people fighting for equal treatment and the LGBT community doing the same?

The fight isn't different, but the oppression is.

You can say that anyone that fights for their rights has something in common with the civil rights movement. But being a freed slave in America, is a totaly unique expierince that not many people have had to endure.

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus
The fight isn't different, but the oppression is.

You can say that anyone that fights for their rights has something in common with the civil rights movement. But being a freed slave in America, is a totaly unique expierince that not many people have had to endure.

...and that's all i'm sayin.

The FIGHT is the same. ...ironically it's even against the same foe.

ltheghost

Payin Debts.... N40
Daps
Reppin
Japan, but from the 989

Its a different struggle. I understand that LGBT community deserves equal rights to get married and receive the same benefits, but they have never been denied the right to vote, the right to look at white women without being killed on sight, or brought over during a slave trade. You never saw the government admit that homosexuals were 3/5ths of a human being, or even property. There struggle is their own, but it isn't comparable. Black people were literally trying to get recognized as being human beings. Its a different struggle than complaining about not being able to get married. People were getting their ass kicked and hung from trees for even thinking about voting or drinking from the same water fountain. :yeshrug:

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Its a different struggle. I understand that LGBT community deserves equal rights to get married and receive the same benefits, but they have never been denied the right to vote, the right to look at white women without being killed on sight, or brought over during a slave trade. You never saw the government admit that homosexuals were 3/5ths of a human being, or even property. There struggle is their own, but it isn't comparable. Black people were literally trying to get recognized as being human beings. Its a different struggle than complaining about not being able to get married. People were getting their ass kicked and hung from trees for even thinking about voting or drinking from the same water fountain. :yeshrug:
I can't come out and announce to the world "hey everyone. I'm out of the closet. I'm black!!!"

Bolzmark

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Lets see...West seems to have positioned himself as a champion of black people...so when it comes to his expertise, which is as a professor, surely he does it at historically black institutions to help develop young African-American minds right? Like Morehouse, Spelman, Howard, Hampton or Morgan St. right?

No.

Brother West teaches at Princeton. And Harvard. They can write much bigger checks. You see West is a millionaire, as is his BFF Tavis Smiley, who while they were criticizing Obama for supporting corporate America, was continuously receiving money from predatory lenders like Wells Fargo, and corporate giant Exxon.

Imagine that.

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
Lets see...West seems to have positioned himself as a champion of black people...so when it comes to his expertise, which is as a professor, surely he does it at historically black institutions to help develop young African-American minds right? Like Morehouse, Spelman, Howard, Hampton or Morgan St. right?

No.

Brother West teaches at Princeton. And Harvard. They can write much bigger checks. You see West is a millionaire, as is his BFF Tavis Smiley, who while they were criticizing Obama for supporting corporate America, was continuously receiving money from predatory lenders like Wells Fargo, and corporate giant Exxon.

Imagine that.

The HBCU's don't pay like those Ivy league schools and "brother" Cornell can make a killing telling white folks why he as a house nikka don't like Obama.

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
If you want to see how the Obama haters think, then watch this. Al Sharpton talks about how he had been in the field trying to make a difference and all Cornell West can do is hate, hate and hate. Crabs in a barrel I tell ya.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m5bmVgxGc0"]AL SHARPTON AND CORNEL WEST GO AT IT OVER OBAMA! - YouTube[/ame]

keon

imma hitta by myself
Supporter
Daps
The HBCU's don't pay like those Ivy league schools and "brother" Cornell can make a killing telling white folks why he as a house nikka don't like Obama.

meanwhile, Obama doing shyt like this..

President Obama has shown his support for HBCUs through policy, not just words | Education Votes

With $227.9 million in grants awarded last month to the nation’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities, President Obama and his administration have shown continued support for institutions of higher education that open their arms to students who might otherwise be excluded from degree opportunities.

The grants, which come through the federal Title III program, can be used to strengthen academic resources and student services, train faculty and staff, rebuild aging campuses, and reach out to needy students and families in local communities. They are more evidence of Obama’s efforts to rebuild the American middle class through targeted investments in college access and affordability programs, such as Pell Grants and the $8 billion Community College to Career Fund.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus
People get offended by the comparison because it implies that the struggle is comparable, which it isn't

I can see that. I'd be offended to.
Again the fight for rights, at a high level is the same. The not so subtle nuance of which rights is not.

The right to ...existence vs the right to be able choose how you want to live...very different.

I get it now:smile:

themoreyouknow.jpg

Don Mack

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Can't believe people still think that just because you're black you're automatically supposed to support Obama and not hold him accountable for his broken promises and passing the NDAA etc. Black people really are sheep in general now.

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Can't believe people still think that just because you're black you're automatically supposed to support Obama and not hold him accountable for his broken promises and passing the NDAA etc. Black people really are sheep in general now.

Man i give up......

When your ready to read all the 15 pages and stop repeating the same comments already said let us know