Dame Dash on the BreakFast Club this morning, nikka angry for no reason

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What monetary value is there in Envy being his own boss if hes already a (multi?) millionaire? I'm not impressed by a nikka's self-assigned titles. Freeky Zeeky still refers to himself as the CEO of Dipset records. What material advantages does he have over a "worker" like Lyor Cohen?

You are right, not everyone is cut out to be a boss. Why is that a bad thing? How is that c00ning?

Again, did your pops need to have a business to teach that to you?

OK. You have to look at it this way, how long are you willing to be an employee. Envy isnt some local radio dj only known in his city or town. Like I said the dude has clout. He may be comfortable with his fanbase as it stands, but at the same time as he continues to do what he does, he will ultimately grown.

Think about famous reporters, they stood in the streets interviewing nobodies on some local news station, eventually got to head desk, moved up to another news station, more interviews, obtained more clout, maybe did a national morning show- then they headline their own show, diane sawyer,barbara walters, wolf blizter, larry king, anderson cooper, shyt sway has been doing this and maintained relevance. There is no reason Envy cant do it, unless he comes out and says "That life really aint for me" as it stands people are saying he cant do it. If Envy is still doing TBC in 20 years, same position, same pay- he's clipped his own wings by that time.

Like I said, I could have learned the lessons other ways, from tv, movies, friends parents, step parents had my parents not been together, corporate america could have taught me the lessons, i could have learned them in school and through books.

Since my pops was the boss, watching him get up religiously every morning when he had the keys and could go in whenever he wanted to taught me something. Watching my dad do the right things and manage money in his hands correctly when there were times we needed things or i knew he wanted things and instead of flat out take the money from the business or 'float it' (take it then put it back), teaching me about intregrity and how nobody respects a thief etc-- thats something thats instilled over time and reinforced its different from mcdonalds writing you up when your late or firing you if you steal money.

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Philosophically is the sun at the mercy of the earth? Being as the earth needs the sun to survive, for plants, weather etc...have the roles reversed and the sun instead of being the ultimate provider become a slave pertaining to the resources it provides. Envy can be a sun.
but why you worrying about which star is providing warmth and energy to which planet? :dwillhuh:

quit being a chatty patty :ufdup:

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
Dame Dash's "be a boss" mentality does not jive with society. Ages 6-18 you spend going to school. What if all the teachers quit to become their own 'boss'? Until you pass away there's countless people who work to keep other people; healthy, financially viable, find places for you to live etc etc. Dame's approach to life is some simple minded sucker shyt.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
1) Okay, I'll take your word for it.

2) That's Dame's business, not mine, so that's whatever.

3) What do you consider "smart"? And how is that a fact? It's your opinion, a flimsy and highly debatable one at that. Taking out a loan and then not being able to pay it back, going into debt and bankruptcy, losing your business, having your personal finances fukked up because you used your personal assets as collateral... because these are all very real possibilities that often happen to people who borrow to start their business. :yeshrug: But that's on you, do you, I don't care.

4) There are hundreds of businesses you can start without saving, with very little or no money. Just Google it (or I guess my statement doesn't count if I don't detail step-by-step the whole situation for y'all). You could probably start a promotional business right now with the money you've got in your pocket. Nobody is expecting you to start a business that grosses $500 million out of the gate, which is what I think some of you guys assume.
3) Smart businessmen are businessmen with a track record for making money. There are entire business sub-sectors built around this (private equity, asset management) and damn near all huge businesses use credit/leverage to reinvest and expand businesses. Using your personal credit to launch a business is idiotic.... u can launch an LLC or some other kind of liability shield so that the business exists separate from you, so if it folds your personal credit and assets are unaffected. That's basic business 101.

4)I just want to know 1, bonus points if you can name 1 that you actually are making money on right now or that anybody can do. I actually launched a business myself with zero capital but very very few people can do what I do :yeshrug: Lot of opportunities for businesses come and go (i.e. that market affiliate shyt etc). But yea if there are "hundreds of businesses" you can start with no capital it shouldnt be hard to name one :yeshrug:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
He was a boss. Bosses can and do have partners.

Dame is your go to guy for hip-hop/entertainment, and you can't doubt him. This is where he excels. But a lot his philosophy on other matters is shaky as fukk. But when he sticks to his big idea about being a boss, you can't really dismiss his position.

And Dame can be narrow minded, because 57 million in salary and having a boss is nothing to be ashamed of any day of the weak.

And when he was a "boss" at Roc-a-fella, he had bosses at Priority/EMI then Def Jam & Polygram/Universal. Whether he agreed or not, complained or not, nothing got done without their approval. He acts like Roc was on the same level as Def Jam, they weren't. They were a subsidiary.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Why ya nikkas need role models so bad? Ya deify and dikk ride any arrogant famous nikka with money. Live and think for ya selves.
:mjlol:
I was gonna say these nikkas need dads but some of the nikkas in here on Dame's dikk have em :dead:

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
He was a boss. Bosses can and do have partners.

Dame is your go to guy for hip-hop/entertainment, and you can't doubt him. This is where he excels. But a lot his philosophy on other matters is shaky as fukk. But when he sticks to his big idea about being a boss, you can't really dismiss his position.

And Dame can be narrow minded, because 57 million in salary and having a boss is nothing to be ashamed of any day of the weak.
He had two equal partners and one partner that owned as much as the other 3 combined, so in the end Def Jam was the real boss. The CEO of Def Jam had more power than Dame alone, since he made the decisions at Def Jam at the time.

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
howard don't own shyt plus you ever think envy just don't want to bother with all shyt that comes along with running a business. it's always the fools that don't know shyt about business talking shyt about someone not owning a business

Howard has his own show and own fans. Theres plenty of people who like Chatty Patty that watch the show for his jokes and antics and dont really care about Envy. Howard is more liable to stand up and say something even if theres going to be public backlash whereas Envy would just keep it quiet and play it safe. That how journalism\radio personality is...sometimes you have to step on toes. receive some legitimate angry emails or calls about your views or something you said. Otherwise youre just a radio voice, you are the equivalent of someone whos job it is to say "That was Chris Brown featuring Tyga up next we have Katy Perry featuring Juicy J- Stay Tuned to KFAB 101.3- Your source for top hit music"

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
3) Smart businessmen are businessmen with a track record for making money. There are entire business sub-sectors built around this (private equity, asset management) and damn near all huge businesses use credit/leverage to reinvest and expand businesses. Using your personal credit to launch a business is idiotic.... u can launch an LLC or some other kind of liability shield so that the business exists separate from you, so if it folds your personal credit and assets are unaffected. That's basic business 101.

4)I just want to know 1, bonus points if you can name 1 that you actually are making money on right now or that anybody can do. I actually launched a business myself with zero capital but very very few people can do what I do :yeshrug: Lot of opportunities for businesses come and go (i.e. that market affiliate shyt etc). But yea if there are "hundreds of businesses" you can start with no capital it shouldnt be hard to name one :yeshrug:
Go out and start a car washing service right now (I'm assuming it's warm where you are as well), and you could literally be washing cars in your yard, some parking lot, or taking them to a fukking coin machine car wash for people. Thanks for the bonus point. Or you could simply take something you're good at (I have no idea what that would be for you) and start a business selling that service, or a consulting service. That's going to cost you the time to advertise on Craigslist or on a Facebook page or something like that.

Suicide King

#OldBlack
Daps
And when he was a "boss" at Roc-a-fella, he had bosses at Priority/EMI then Def Jam & Polygram/Universal. Whether he agreed or not, complained or not, nothing got done without their approval. He acts like Roc was on the same level as Def Jam, they weren't. They were a subsidiary.

They were partners.

They could not hire or fire him.

They could not give him orders. Bosses do that to employees, Dame did not fit that criteria while being the CEO of Roc-a-Fella.

Spin

All Star
Daps
Dame Dash is obviously still dealing emotionally with not being the "man" that he was 15-20 years ago. However, that doesn't mean there still isn't useful information to be learned from him.

One of the interesting things he mentioned specifically about being a man is to surround yourself with females. I don't know how many of you have actually tried to launch anything in your career, but being around all dudes many times doesn't really add up. One thing even bigger than money for a business owner is trust when it comes to his or her employees. Take the life of a male lion for example. After a male cub reaches a certain age, the father kicks the male out of the pride. The young lion then either will roam solo or in a small group of male lions. Many of the males at this stage get injured or killed. As they mature, the ones that are left battle the older males to take control of a pride. That is essentially the game we as humans are in to some degree. It's a dog eat dog world.

People who have never taken risks are generally so caught up in this idea of "failing". It's fine if you're not a person that wants to or is willing to take risks, but understand it takes a whole different level of thinking to be your own boss. In a way you become somewhat delusional because you believe that you can create something that wasn't there before. People in general are comfortable with brands and services they're used to seeing everyday.

Yes Dame might come off as arrogant and condescending, but have you checked the character of the owner or CEO at the company you work for? Better yet, do you even have close enough access to see what is really going down where you work? The majority of business owners, especially ones that are known in the media, will never tell you how they really feel. Dame Dash probably wouldn't either if he was still on top of the mountain. However, since he feels free to give out sprinkles of real advice mixed in with his obviously ego driven agenda. It's just a matter of choosing to listen to the good stuff and discarding the self promotion.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
OK. You have to look at it this way, how long are you willing to be an employee. Envy isnt some local radio dj only known in his city or town. Like I said the dude has clout. He may be comfortable with his fanbase as it stands, but at the same time as he continues to do what he does, he will ultimately grown.

Think about famous reporters, they stood in the streets interviewing nobodies on some local news station, eventually got to head desk, moved up to another news station, more interviews, obtained more clout, maybe did a national morning show- then they headline their own show, diane sawyer,barbara walters, wolf blizter, larry king, anderson cooper, shyt sway has been doing this and maintained relevance. There is no reason Envy cant do it, unless he comes out and says "That life really aint for me" as it stands people are saying he cant do it. If Envy is still doing TBC in 20 years, same position, same pay- he's clipped his own wings by that time.
Anderson Cooper is still an employee though. He didn't leave CNN and start his own network. Plus Envy has clout but TBC depends on all three of the hosts for its chemistry. Nobody is trying to see Envy hold down a show dolo. If anyone could break out on their own its Charlamagne, but CTG realizes the value of having access to that platform.

Like I said, I could have learned the lessons other ways, from tv, movies, friends parents, step parents had my parents not been together, corporate america could have taught me the lessons, i could have learned them in school and through books.

Since my pops was the boss, watching him get up religiously every morning when he had the keys and could go in whenever he wanted to taught me something. Watching my dad do the right things and manage money in his hands correctly when there were times we needed things or i knew he wanted things and instead of flat out take the money from the business or 'float it' (take it then put it back), teaching me about intregrity and how nobody respects a thief etc-- thats something thats instilled over time and reinforced its different from mcdonalds writing you up when your late or firing you if you steal money.
People can (and do) embezzle from jobs like McDonalds. And you don't need a business to teach someone not to be a thief.... most people, regardless of whether or not their parents own businesses, understand shyt like "being a thief is bad". Theres nothing your dad taught you that he couldn't have taught you as a worker. One thing he should have taught you is that you arent any better than anybody whose parents didnt have a business (which is what it sounds like you think) . My dad had a very successful business... pulled in a million a year in revenue at its peak.... but he is not a good person and I still had to learn a lot of shyt about decency on my own. Owning a business has no bearing on how well a parent can teach their kids how to be good people.

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Dame Dash's "be a boss" mentality does not jive with society. Ages 6-18 you spend going to school. What if all the teachers quit to become their own 'boss'? Until you pass away there's countless people who work to keep other people; healthy, financially viable, find places for you to live etc etc. Dame's approach to life is some simple minded sucker shyt.

I dont think he meant that as bluntly as people are taking it, he even said interning and such can be good, its ok to have a job--but to have a job forever, isnt necessarily ok.and America used to stand for that. Then it became just working safely until retirement, then it became being lucky to have a job and get a check.

A supervisor or bosses job isnt to keep you under their boots but raise you up, so theres no reason to be in the same role for 5 10 years that's typically entry level--unless you truly love it. Like obviously if your at McDonalds for 3-4 years supervisor or boss should be looking to make you shift manager, assistant manager something, not just patting you on the head and saying "Good job, see you tomorrow"

Where do yall get these jobs that dont encourage growth?

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
People who have never taken risks are generally so caught up in this idea of "failing". It's fine if you're not a person that wants to or is willing to take risks, but understand it takes a whole different level of thinking to be your own boss. In a way you become somewhat delusional because you believe that you can create something that wasn't there before. People in general are comfortable with brands and services they're used to seeing everyday.
I think it's the opposite.... people who take risks a lot know the difference between smart risks and dumb risks. Staking out to be a "boss" with no capital, no skills, no business acumen is idiotic.