DAVE CHAPPELLE: The Dreamer Comedy Special (Official Discussion) (Netflix, Out Now)

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
I know this is a Dave thread, but have you guys checked Shane Gillis? He’s hilarious. Great takes. On Netflix too. I dare say better than Dave’s set and I’m a Stan for Dave.

:russ: Half way through his show on netflix. Dudes humor reminds me of this kid I used to be friends with when I stayed in St. Pete, similar mannerisms too.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Dave feels like he’s in his HOF era. To me, each new special feels more like “man, it’s good to see Dave” and not like “man, I can’t wait to hear what Dave says”
I have to watch the special, but I saw him in Austin earlier this summer and this makes sense to me. He was just up there making faces, and people in the audience were losing their minds. Mo Amer was the last opener before him, and his set was way funnier and thoughtful.

I think Dave is kind of washed now, but its by choice. He really could do some dope shyt if he wanted too, but maybe is comfortable being a legacy act.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
It was ok. Opening joke about Jim Carrey was prolly the best. But also quite a few cringey moments. He's just not the writer he once was. But at this stage of his career he doesn't really need to be. His fanbase is strong. He can pretty much say anything and have the crowd rolling over in laughter.

I Wouldn't really put him up there with the best comics in the world anymore. But truthfully I don't think there's many great comedians today. The last comedian who I considered special was Patrice. I was watching elephant in the room the other day and was just blown away. Dude was really going to be next up. He was basically everything that Chapelle is but way better in every category. And his comedy woulda been more relevant than ever today. It's shame he left so young. Smh.

I love Patrice but everything you said was speculation. Patrice wasn’t on track to have the same mainstream success. And to be honest, he never wanted it.

As far as his comedy being relevant today… it would but he’d be facing EVEN MORE censorship backlash than Dave.

pez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
:russ: Half way through his show on netflix. Dudes humor reminds me of this kid I used to be friends with when I stayed in St. Pete, similar mannerisms too.
Dude's mad funny. Without giving away too much, Shane managed to call Navy Seals cowards and call Al Qaeda and ISIS heroes and make it HILARIOUS. What a fukking comic.

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
Upper mid. He's just not a laugh out loud comedian anymore, and that's ok. But my issue is, he only talks about stuff that we're aware of or can sort of guess about his life. Very obvious observations. Where's the crafted material and the shyt where we can say "oh only Dave thought of that". Lot of this stuff is just riffing on public information from a naturally funny dude.

That last Chris Rock Special was abit better with similar topics because he let us peek in the door of his private life for comedy. Idk what you gotta do but give us something surprising. The trans stuff has been a thing for years now.

OnlyFrans

subscribe today!
Supporter
Daps
I love Patrice but everything you said was speculation. Patrice wasn’t on track to have the same mainstream success. And to be honest, he never wanted it.

As far as his comedy being relevant today… it would but he’d be facing EVEN MORE censorship backlash than Dave.
I remember Bill Burr said once Patrice refused to play by any rules, and he was never gonna have a high ceiling of fame because he refused to compromise whatsoever. It made him a funny comic but was detrimental to his financial success.

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
I know this is a Dave thread, but have you guys checked Shane Gillis? He’s hilarious. Great takes. On Netflix too. I dare say better than Dave’s set and I’m a Stan for Dave.
Is he the same dude that did the racist cheeseburger joke. I saw that bit on tiktok about a week ago and it was funny.

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
I remember Bill Burr said once Patrice refused to play by any rules, and he was never gonna have a high ceiling of fame because he refused to compromise whatsoever. It made him a funny comic but was detrimental to his financial success.
Yeah. Patrice lost the Arrested Development gig due to not playing by the rules.

Patrice really didn't take his stand up craft too serious until around the Elephant in the Room era. Before then, he didn't really write jokes and half his sets were crowd work. Even the joke Amy Schumer supposedly stole from Patrice, wasn't a joke Patrice came up with. It was just a common joke told around bars. Patrice really was just bullshyting on stage, but it worked for him because he was just that naturally funny.

Then he actually started proactively perfecting his craft when he was coming up with his Elephant in the Room special. Unfortunately he shortly died afterwards, and we only got a small look into how good he can really be when he actually tried.

Suspicious Dingo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sydney, Austalia
He also tells a lot of stories that fall flat as well. Some are so drawn out and long winded that the payoff just isn't worth it. I consider Dave a very good storyteller. But brilliant. Personally I wouldn't go that far. To me. A brilliant storyteller. And quite possibly the most underrated comedian in the world today. Is Ali Siddiq. Don't think anybody can paint a picture better than Ali right now. To me he's levels above everyone in the storytelling department including Dave. And he's just a flat out better comedian. Because he still has that hunger. One of the only comedians that really makes me laugh out loud.

I'm sure some of y'all are already up on Ali. But if you're not, check out domino effect 1 & 2. Back to back. Both brilliant pieces of work. Artistry. I rarely make recommendations, but if you love comedy. you're gonna love these. I promise you.

Dap & rep for putting me onto this, dude is HILARIOUS

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
He also tells a lot of stories that fall flat as well. Some are so drawn out and long winded that the payoff just isn't worth it. I consider Dave a very good storyteller. But brilliant. Personally I wouldn't go that far. To me. A brilliant storyteller. And quite possibly the most underrated comedian in the world today. Is Ali Siddiq. Don't think anybody can paint a picture better than Ali right now. To me he's levels above everyone in the storytelling department including Dave. And he's just a flat out better comedian. Because he still has that hunger. One of the only comedians that really makes me laugh out loud.

I'm sure some of y'all are already up on Ali. But if you're not, check out domino effect 1 & 2. Back to back. Both brilliant pieces of work. Artistry. I rarely make recommendations, but if you love comedy. you're gonna love these. I promise you.

I watched both of these and Ali is nowhere close to Dave’s level of multi-layered storytelling . :mjlol:

He’s a solid comedian tho.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
I watched both of these and Ali is nowhere close to Dave’s level of multi-layered storytelling . :mjlol:

He’s a solid comedian tho.
Current Dave I don't see it. Killin em softly Dave was superb at storytelling. But today's dave just doesn't have the same imagination. A lot of his comedy today just comes off pretentious.