DAVE CHAPPELLE: The Dreamer Comedy Special (Official Discussion) (Netflix, Out Now)

pez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
Then why are you here? Who cares?:mjtf:
There's tons of threads here about stuff I have no interest in ...so I don't post in them :mjtf:

I don't see how anyone could bad mouth this one cuz this was hilarious, and back to the goofier more energetic Chappelle from the late 90's /2000's. Nice to see that again after his last few angry/somber years
You're supposed to say "oh no, please don't go!". Dude gonna walk away really slow, stop and look back to see if anyone notices dude leaving. Nah, fam. We just having a good ass time without your sorry complaining ass.

I pick shyt up
Daps
Reppin
Vixens, Mascara's, Mary-Ann's
He also tells a lot of stories that fall flat as well. Some are so drawn out and long winded that the payoff just isn't worth it. I consider Dave a very good storyteller. But brilliant. Personally I wouldn't go that far. To me. A brilliant storyteller. And quite possibly the most underrated comedian in the world today. Is Ali Siddiq. Don't think anybody can paint a picture better than Ali right now. To me he's levels above everyone in the storytelling department including Dave. And he's just a flat out better comedian. Because he still has that hunger. One of the only comedians that really makes me laugh out loud.

I'm sure some of y'all are already up on Ali. But if you're not, check out domino effect 1 & 2. Back to back. Both brilliant pieces of work. Artistry. I rarely make recommendations, but if you love comedy. you're gonna love these. I promise you.

Just watched the first Ali joint.. He's not funnier than Chappelle imo..

He's dope though.. I'm going to watch the other one on my flight

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Then why are you here? Who cares?:mjtf:
There's tons of threads here about stuff I have no interest in ...so I don't post in them :mjtf:

I don't see how anyone could bad mouth this one cuz this was hilarious, and back to the goofier more energetic Chappelle from the late 90's /2000's. Nice to see that again after his last few angry/somber years

Yo :dead: Mans really came to this thread to proclaim that he will not be watching the special.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
Just watched the first Ali joint.. He's not funnier than Chappelle imo..

He's dope though.. I'm going to watch the other one on my flight
It's really different strokes for different folks. But i just don't view Dave on that elite level anymore. But it's the same with Chris rock. Who could very well be my GOAT. I just think a lot of those guys aren't as sharp as they used to be. To me ali's comedy is much more intricate and creative. Dave's stories are more about building up to the final punchline. While Ali's stories are less about the punchline and more focused on making you laugh at every detail. They're very in depth. His storytelling makes you feel like you were actually there. You can visualize everything clearly. And it's not just straight forward. It's layers to it. Foreshadowing. Call backs. Character development. To me it's just a whole different level.

But good looks on watching it. I think you'll see what I'm saying as you get more into his material. Dude should be a superstar right now. But he doesn't play by the book so not sure it'll ever happen. He got a lot of heat last year for saying gay men shouldn't be allowed to have kids so I doubt networks will ever touch him. But he's still doing fine on his own. His special having 11 million views on YouTube is crazy. That's all word of mouth. His material is shyt that every person can relate to and that's why people fukk with him.

Last edited:
Daps
It's really different strokes for different folks. But i just don't view Dave on that elite level anymore. But it's the same with Chris rock. Who could very well be my GOAT. I just think a lot of those guys aren't as sharp as they used to be.

I see why one would think this after watching this special. I saw him live in October and he was HILARIOUS. I don’t know if it was because I heard these jokes before or if it’s just the difference between being live vs watching on TV, but I wasn’t that impressed with this Netflix special either.

But I must say he was sharp as fukk live. Dealing with the hecklers* and using the audience to integrate into the written show was amazing. Legit had me questioning if they were planted lol. And he worked the 360 stage at the center of the arena masterfully.

*I was at the show where Jews walked out cuz they felt “unsafe” due to an impromptu bit on Israel-Palestine

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I see why one would think this after watching this special. I saw him live in October and he was HILARIOUS. I don’t know if it was because I heard these jokes before or if it’s just the difference between being live vs watching on TV, but I wasn’t that impressed with this Netflix special either.

But I must say he was sharp as fukk live. Dealing with the hecklers* and using the audience to integrate into the written show was amazing. Legit had me questioning if they were planted lol. And he worked the 360 stage at the center of the arena masterfully.

*I was at the show where Jews walked out cuz they felt “unsafe” due to an impromptu bit on Israel-Palestine

Stand up shows should always be experienced in a live setting to get the full effect. I’m an avid stand up fan so I catch a lot of live shows that end up as specials and the specials only capture like 75% (at best) of the energy of the live shows.

I actually think the best way to experience a standup show is in a 300 person room like the Improv in D.C.

jensyao

Collector
Daps
Reppin
Schooling people takes forever; don't bother
yeah it wasn't bad as some critics said it would be. he's having some type of closure/victory lap that he escaped the trans jokes and didn't get cancelled like social media said he would be and took this as a transition to wrap up and reference his previous specials and be a spokesperson of his previous incidents of being attacked and being friends with both will smith and chris rock while telling stories of living everyday life. the dreamer part didn't hit until late in the 2nd half where i feel like it's a light reference to Common's album of the same name but he used it to explain that he sought in life what he said he would have done when he just started out in comedy and is living that dream, and he lives that dream so vividly that he has no fear or fear of consequences, which explains will smith's anger and chris rock's ability to keep composure to keep the show going and dave's initial fight response when his early career was in jeopardy of being a dud for a special against some russian mobsters...yeah, it feels like if society gives you a job and facilitates what you can and can't do, you are put inside a box of specialization unable to express your true self being a part of the human experience. and yet if you venture out into undefined territory for trendsetting or trailblazing gigs that comes with loose training or you have to figure that shyt out yourself, you can become handsomely rich for doing the deeds and labor that fills the void of what society doesn't have articulated into a cookie cutter training/positions and yet they still need because there would be high price points from a dozen of comedic sellers with the whole market in demand for dave's jokes