Denard Robinson: "I could beat Bolt in the 40"

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah, he could tomorrow

Bolt isn't a quick starter and it's a different race than the 100 meters. It's why you don't see Bolt competing during the indoor season in the 60 meters. Starts are everything in the shorter than 100 meter distances.

It's possible.

he's not a quick starter compared to olympic sprinters. But he's quicker than any football player out there.

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
Exactly, this isn't exact but it's close enough to get an idea -

SsTGt.jpg

I did that based on the time he ran through 40m, and where the line/time correlates.
This nikka brought out the chalkboard. Salute.

jfkennedy

Best After Bobby
Daps
100-meter-splits.jpg

According to this they say Bolt would run a 4.35 40-yard dash.

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
do most of yall even know why they run the 40 yard dash? :laugh: there's no purpose behind it other than some coach saying it was the furthest a football would ever really have to run on a play. no one outside of the US would give a shyt bout a 40 :laugh:

bangedher_wholesquad

carlos danger
Daps
Reppin
NULL
100-meter-splits.jpg

According to this they say Bolt would run a 4.35 40-yard dash.

U know how to add breh?

according to this he would run the 40 M in less taht 4 seconds. low 4.1 if u include reaction time.

Do u guys ever watch when the 100 m champion goes to an NFL practice? they get left in the dirt.

jfkennedy

Best After Bobby
Daps
U know how to add breh?

according to this he would run the 40 M in less taht 4 seconds. low 4.1 if u include reaction time.

Do u guys ever watch when the 100 m champion goes to an NFL practice? they get left in the dirt.

:stopitslime: Didn't say I added it, I said "according to this they say..."

*edit* Not to mention I said 40YARD dash, not 40 M.

Do the math:

40 yards = 36.576 meters. So, adding up the first three 10m splits (ignore reaction time - it is counted in the first split), then multiplying the 4th split by .6576 (since only 6.576 of the meters should be counted when measuring the first 40 yards) and adding this quantity as well, we get the equivalent first 40 yard time for the world's fastest man. Interestingly, the number you get is a fast but not all that super fast 4.35 second 40 yard dash. So, my question for discussion is: what's up with this? Some possible takes:

1) Football combine times aren't accurate. Despite the fact that they are run by the pro team scouts who are trying to get objective measures for comparing athletes to draft, there is somehow a flaw in the methods or a deliberate attempt at padding the stats, ultimately resulting in inaccurate times.

2) Usain Bolt isn't very fast at 40 yards, but he's really, really fast with great endurance at the last 60+ meters.

3) There are many fast and athletic people out there, many of which simply never seek out pure track and field because they are too busy focusing on team sports. In other words, there is a small number of athletes out there in other pro sports who could be as fast or faster than Bolt had they specialized solely on track sprinting.

4) My math is somehow flawed, or filled with false assumptions (*Note, that since he was virtually at a constant top speed by the final split in my calculation, I don't need to worry about which fraction of that split I add to the 40 yard total).

Random Speed Calculation - Usain Bolt..... - Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
do most of yall even know why they run the 40 yard dash? :laugh: there's no purpose behind it other than some coach saying it was the furthest a football would ever really have to run on a play. no one outside of the US would give a shyt bout a 40 :laugh:

To be more specific I think it was the average distance of punts being kicked so they compared 40 times to the hangtime of a punt in the air to gauge whether a player could get to the punt returner before he had an opportunity to return the punt.