Did Money kill the artistry in Hip Hop/ Are rappers even "Artist" anymore?

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
usually an "artist" is a creator, somebody that creates out of passion to express him or herself. They take risk, they talk about the things they're passionate about. Artist in any discipline is suppose to put creative expression over self gain. So where is the art in rap music?

All these guys seem to use it to build a platform, and then sell non Hip Hop related items, and becoming entrepreneurs. Which is fine, but do anybody actually care about pushing the art? do any rapper actually care about just the music and the music only? wheres the passion that rappers use to have? Why don't they have nothing new or profound to say?

seem like most modern rappers are into "Branding" marketing themselves and being mini corporations. IMO J electronica might be the last real modern artist left. Somebody that's unafraid to do whatever he want on a record with no repercussion. I wont mention the legends like Nas, Mobb Deep, 2 pac, Wu-Tang etc...they're cliche, I'm talking about modern rappers.

Why do rappers talk about anything anymore, they walk on eggshells, and only make what sale. How is that "Art"? I think today's rappers and musicians need a new name..these guys aren't "artist" they're businessmen basically, entrepreneurs that rap

This is art, experimental, unafraid

this is business, predictable, formulmatic, easy money

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
before I go, j elect filled a wonka sample and merged it was an Elijah Mohammed speech , and spit a rap about Katrina from the prospective of an observative survivor
and factored in the racial equality in the dilemma, come on man...thats art

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
Yes, it did....

Because whenever you question anyone's skills, lyrics, direction or anything about an rappers music.... They'll (their fans mainly) just say they getting money and that basically shields them from any criticism.....

On the other hand, alot of artist end up doing the same shyt and no taking risks because they figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it's selling, don't mess with the formula. There are obviously exceptions who aren't or don't seem to be driven primarily by money. But it seems this way for about 60-70% of the rap game

Donald Trumps Twitter

Divine Infinite Commander King
Daps
Reppin
Space Force 1
Idk man, is hip hop art?

Can we consider NWA, Biggie, 50 Cent, Dipset, Wayne

As Artists in the same sense of the meaning in op?
a lot of the reason why they were so recognized was because their music brought in hella money and they were commercially successful

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Idk man, is hip hop art?

Can we consider NWA, Biggie, 50 Cent, Dipset, Wayne

As Artists in the same sense of the meaning in op?
a lot of the reason why they were so recognized was because their music brought in hella money and they were commercially successful
I think Biggie and old Cam can yes. Look at Nas, shyt look at some of Jay-Z's stuff.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
usually an "artist" is a creator, somebody that creates out of passion to express him or herself. They take risk, they talk about the things they're passionate about. Artist in any discipline is suppose to put creative expression over self gain. So where is the art in rap music?

All these guys seem to use it to build a platform, and then sell non Hip Hop related items, and becoming entrepreneurs. Which is fine, but do anybody actually care about pushing the art? do any rapper actually care about just the music and the music only? wheres the passion that rappers use to have? Why don't they have nothing new or profound to say?

seem like most modern rappers are into "Branding" marketing themselves and being mini corporations. IMO J electronica might be the last real modern artist left. Somebody that's unafraid to do whatever he want on a record with no repercussion. I wont mention the legends like Nas, Mobb Deep, 2 pac, Wu-Tang etc...they're cliche, I'm talking about modern rappers.

Why do rappers talk about anything anymore, they walk on eggshells, and only make what sale. How is that "Art"? I think today's rappers and musicians need a new name..these guys aren't "artist" they're businessmen basically, entrepreneurs that rap

This is art, experimental, unafraid

this is business, predictable, formulmatic, easy money

Electronica is faux art who only became known through cosigns and branding.

arel

lately ive been seeing girls wearing football kits
Daps
wastemans keep complaining.

n jay too p*ssy to even drop any music.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
wastemans keep complaining.

n jay too p*ssy to even drop any music.

don't "artists" also put out music? :jbhmm:

How is Jay Elec doing random shows here and there without releasing music? sounds like some branding get-money bullshyt to me :troll: