Director Shinji Mikami (Resident Evil, God Hand, Evil Within) Leaves Tango Gameworks

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
:mjcry::mjcry::mjcry:

In a company-wide email sent to ZeniMax employees seen by TrueAchievements and verified authentic by Bethesda, senior vice president of development at Bethesda Todd Vaughn announced that legendary game designer Shinji Mikami is leaving Xbox Game Studios' Tango Gameworks.
"I am writing today to let you know that studio head Shinji Mikami has decided to leave Tango Gameworks in the coming months," Vaughn said. "Mikami-san has been a creative leader and supportive mentor to young developers at Tango for 12 years through his work on the Evil Within franchise, Ghostwire: Tokyo, and of course, Hi-Fi Rush."

Tango Gameworks will continue work supporting Ghostwire: Tokyo and Hi-Fi Rush while Bethesda higher-ups work with Tango leadership on what comes next for the studio.
With a career spanning 33 years, Mikami has one of the most impressive CVs in the industry and is credited with creating the original Resident Evil and working on numerous games within the franchise up until Resident Evil 4. Over the years, he also worked on other notable games such as Dino Crisis, Viewtiful Joe, God Hand, and Vanquish.

xqJVKFq.jpg

Last edited:

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well, damn. Wonder what caused the move. It kind've seemed like Zenimax/Bethesda were fine with letting him do whatever he felt like.

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I think he's been saying he had one more project in him. From what I've read he's been hinting at retirement or taking a backseat in a consulting role. He also said he built tango to nurture young talent and he seemed to have done a good job with Johanas who made hifi rush

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't follow him all that closely, so I didn't know he was talking about retirement. If this is really it, it's nice to see that he went out on a high note.