Directors who fell off

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
Holy shyt.
This.

But I never thought John Woo was a good director.
I thought he was overrated as hell.

Everything after Hard Boiled besides Face-Off and Red Cliff Part I was just terrible. I grew up on that John Woo/Chow Yun Fat combination and now both of em are doing the most garbage movies out there :to:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
depends on what you mean by falling off

wachowski trannie brothers aren't bad directors, they just make bad movies

cloud atlas didn't look bad, it was just a shytty movie, the story wasn't interesting or told in an interesting way

they are the reverse George lucas, where they need to stick to directing and have someone else write/ come up with the ideas

spike lee to me is still a good director, he's just made some bad choices into what films to make, sometimes you need to know how to fall back, and not try to do everything yourself

james Cameron ain't fall off, I couldn't even finish avatar, shyt looked like a videogame cutscene, but I think he had developed brand new film technology just for the film, so you can't say he fell off as a director

so it's all relative

When a film is bad, I blame the producers first, if pacing is off and the overall look of film is trash I blame the director, if the characters interactions are lifeless and unbelievable I blame the actors

chosenaledge13

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Adamsville/ATL
Guy Ritchie woulda been here if he didnt escape from that demon Madonna, from Lock Stock/Snatch to Swept Away :why:

Snatch was the reason I started Directing and I thought it was over before it began :mjcry:

Revolver :ld: RocknRolla :ehh: Sherlock 1&2 :obama:

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. this year, we back brehs :blessed:

Daps
Guy Ritchie woulda been here if he didnt escape from that demon Madonna, from Lock Stock/Snatch to Swept Away :why:

Snatch was the reason I started Directing and I thought it was over before it began :mjcry:

Revolver :ld: RocknRolla :ehh: Sherlock 1&2 :obama:

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. this year, we back brehs :blessed:

Guy Richie da Goat! :blessed:

matta fact imma go watch Snatch right now:myman:

chosenaledge13

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Adamsville/ATL
Guy Richie da Goat! :blessed:

matta fact imma go watch Snatch right now:myman:

beardedguyheadnod.gif

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Pretty much every director was named besides Nolan and Fincher in this thread :damn:
Agree with the majority though :yeshrug:

Yeah, about those two... :patrice:

I give Nolan that he pulled himself back a bit with Interstellar, but Inception and TDKR were so bad he deserves a honorable mention, especially because of the audacity to drop them after The Prestige and TDK like it was all good.

And Fincher hasn't done anything with replay value since Zodiac. The only post-Zodiac movie I've seen more than once was The Social Network and I started to hate it so indescribably much during the second viewing I don't think I would make it through a third. Dragon Tattoo and Gone Girl are both thrillers that did little for me, especially DT which somehow was vastly inferior to the original, and the less we speak about Benjamin Button, the less I will have to hurt you.

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
Dont forget tarantino da gawd

Tarantino has fell off to me.

Not in the extreme way of someone like Coppola but IMO his best films are undeniably his first three.

Since then he's been putting out overlong, self-indulgent films that are poorly paced compared to his previous work.

It's disappointing too because when he dropped Jackie Brown seemed he had a new found maturity. These were real human beings not the cartoon cutouts of Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained. Not to say those two films aren't entertaining but they're a chore to watch. He's become very pleased with himself as a director (see the revolting final scene of Basterds) and now that his editor Sally Menkes has died things will only get worse.

He seems to go into every project trying to make his Masterpiece (in capital letters) which while it's good to be ambitious, it's too self conscious. When Leone made The Good, The Bad & The Ugly I don't think he went into thinking "this'll be the one they remember me for" with a smug grin on his face.

I still anticpate his work but I know they're going to be self indulgent messes that'll I'll probably never want to see outside of the theater.

Batter Up

I'm the first to swing
Daps
Coppola's is probably the most striking.

The Godfather, Pt 1 &2, The Conversation and Apocalypse Now is debatably the GOAT run. But One From the Heart flopping ruined him creatively and financially.

I fukks with Rumblefish and even recent stuff like Tetro isn't without it's merits but breh went from top 10 to not mentioned at all. Losing his mind in the jungle whilst shooting Apocalypse Now probably didn't help.

Came in here to post this.

Kind of crazy to think the man responsible for "Jack" starring Robin Williams is the same director who once made Godfather Pt 2 and Apocalypse Now in back to back films. :mindblown:

M Night Shamalyan also deserves to be mentioned for going from one of the most promising writers/directors in the game to becoming a caricature of himself. His current string of failures will probably make him go down as the measuring stick that all other modern day fall offs will be compared to for years to come.

Savior

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang
Ridley Scott was the first to come to mind...dude went from Alien and Blade Runner to Prometheus. From Gladiator to Exodus :scust:. Can't get sci fi or historical epic right anymore. M Night too as far as wasted potential. Three good movies then fell off a damn cliff and never recovered :sadcam:

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Francis Ford Coppola had the worst fall off ever but he also OWNED the 1970s so it doesn't really matter what he put out after 1979...he's got 4 classics in a 7 year period. No one else has that, not even close

:sas1:

NMNJ5j3.png

:sas2:

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community

Wait a minute...I'm not taking anything away from Lumet because he has masterpieces too, but I KNOW you are not putting those 4 movies against Godfather 1 & 2, The Conversation, and Apocalypse Now????? Those 4 movies you listed are classics, but Murder on the Orient Express isn't even on the same level as the 4 1970s Coppola films

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
I give Nolan that he pulled himself back a bit with Interstellar, but Inception and TDKR were so bad he deserves a honorable mention, especially because of the audacity to drop them after The Prestige and TDK like it was all good.

katt-williams---what_o_2692487.jpg

Granted I'll Concede TDKR wasnt all of that, even though bane stole the movie, but INCEPTION was bad, what the fukk is you talking about??? :wtf::mindblown:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Ridley Scott was the first to come to mind...dude went from Alien and Blade Runner to Prometheus. From Gladiator to Exodus :scust:. Can't get sci fi or historical epic right anymore. M Night too as far as wasted potential. Three good movies then fell off a damn cliff and never recovered :sadcam:

The only movie ridley scott that was good i still watch you mentioned was Aliens and Gladiator... Prometheus and Exodus tho?!!?!? :camby:

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Wait a minute...I'm not taking anything away from Lumet because he has masterpieces too, but I KNOW you are not putting those 4 movies against Godfather 1 & 2, The Conversation, and Apocalypse Now????? Those 4 movies you listed are classics, but Murder on the Orient Express isn't even on the same level as the 4 1970s Coppola films

You just said classics and Lumet did four in four :yeshrug:

With that said I'd say Network is the best of out those 8