Do you have to pay royalties/give credits for recreating a song's beat & sampling its melody?

Memorial Stadium Piru

WE BYKE BABY
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Big Red

So basically, I recreated this EXACT beat by myself (not that hard, this was a simple R&B beat) and used the exact same melody as the lyrics, instead of Doin Just Fine the song is called Touch You All Night:skip:

I didn't sample in the "traditional" sense, so would it be grounds for giving Shawn Stockman (song's writer/producer) songwriting/production credits when I register the song? Help me out brehs

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
So you basically interpolated it. That's basically what Dr. Dre did a lot of the time, and got away with saying that he didn't sample.

Sampling or interpolating can be expensive or cheap. It all depends on who owns the music you're sampling or re-playing.

It's really fukking complicated because it involves publishing, which itself is super confusing.

But basically by interpolating instead of sampling the original recording, you are cutting out the "mechanical fees" that you may have to pay. You would still have to pay licensing fees or you may end up owing royalties to the owner/s of the song you re-played after the fact.