Doctor Who Appreciation Thread

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
This was a very uneven season but damn did they stick the landing with this final episode.

And we have the cliffhanger ending that has me really excited for the special.

Mr. Negative

Tell The Gang I'll Never Break My Promise, Mayne
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
:francis: welp Graham and Ryan are out, Yaz sticking around.

Y'all already know how I feel about Yaz
giphy.gif

but Graham has been a fukking beacon of light for these last two seasons. He very damn near cracked my top 5 GOAT companion list

Malcy86

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Glasgow
:francis: welp Graham and Ryan are out, Yaz sticking around.

Y'all already know how I feel about Yaz
giphy.gif

but Graham has been a fukking beacon of light for these last two seasons. He very damn near cracked my top 5 GOAT companion list

Yeah Tosin Cole has been cast in an American series and Bradley Walsh is just so busy with 3 other shows that it wouldn't make sense for him to do another series. Rumour is that they will both appear just not full time companions.

Shame because Walsh has been fantastic as Graham. Ryan is a bit boring though and Yaz I can take or leave. For someone who seemed like they were thinking of leaving she's had a quick turn around. Seems very attached to the Doctor all of a sudden. I wonder if Chibnall is going to go down the 'a bit too attached' road.

Malcy86

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Glasgow
A new Moffat penned Doctor Who scene is being released at 6.30pm tonight.

RadioTimes.com can exclusively reveal that Moffat has penned a brand-new short Doctor Who scene to reintroduce the anniversary special to fans, featuring a “much-loved Doctor Who character” (yet to be revealed) and set to be released online at 6.30pm GMT on Saturday 21st March, half an hour before the Day of the Doctor rewatch at 7.00pm

Steven Moffat creates brand-new Doctor Who scene ahead of special Day of the Doctor rewatch

Malcy86

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Glasgow
There's been a few things released online in the past week. Most to do with episode rewatches.

RTD took part in a Twitter commentary for Rose and released a prequel scene and a sequel.

Russell T Davies writes a prequel to Doctor Who – Rose.

A new Short story from Chibnall set as the Doctor falls to earth after regenerating.

A new very short story by Chris Chibnall

The Twitter accounts for Moffat & RTD were only temporary but I'll post their tweets when I find a full copy.

The next rewatch is Monday 30th March for 'Vincent And The Doctor' with writer Richard Curtis. It's also Van Gogh's birthday that day.

The Rose rewatch was last night on the 15th anniversary of the episode airing. A long time.

I remember downloading the leak of the first episode in the early hours of the morning weeks before it aired. Watched it 3 times! Think I had probably watched it 10 times by the time i watched it go out live. It was strange hearing the new theme tune because the early leak had the Pertwee era theme on it instead.

Shame we never got this theme from the trailer.

Last edited:

Mr. Negative

Tell The Gang I'll Never Break My Promise, Mayne
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
There's been a few things released online in the past week. Most to do with episode rewatches.

RTD took part in a Twitter commentary for Rose and released a prequel scene and a sequel.

Russell T Davies writes a prequel to Doctor Who – Rose.

A new Short story from Chibnall set as the Doctor falls to earth after regenerating.

A new very short story by Chris Chibnall

The Twitter accounts for Moffat & RTD were only temporary but I'll post their tweets when I find a full copy.

+rep in advance

Malcy86

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Glasgow
Heres the first lot. Copied and pasted from another forum I use. Ignore the times. Using my phone so couldn't be bothered editing them out.

RTD's Rose Tweets.

13m
I'm on the http://time.is website, pressing play at 19.00.00 exactly! #TripOfALifetime #DoctorWho #godhelpme
- - - - - - - - - -
5m
Ready..??? #TripOfALifetime
- - - - - - - - - -
5m
I CONFESS: some of these tweets are pre-typed and pasted in - though pasted in live, right now! - so I can tweet more. Yes, MORE! It’s Steven Moffat’s advice, blame him. #TripOfALifetime
- - - - - - - - - -
4m
Best theme tune EVER
- - - - - - - - - -
4m
Every book on How To Write says don’t start with the hero in bed, waking up. Hah! Write what you want!
- - - - - - - - - -
3m
NOEL! I first met him on this London shoot, cos we’d offered the part while he was filming Auf Wiedersehen. First thing he said to me, ‘I’m coming back in Season 2?’ And I thought, oh, Season 2. Better start thinking about it!
- - - - - - - - - -
3m
Then, funny thing is, when I wrote Mickey out in Season 2, he was by the banks of the Thames. I must've made a link in my head. Not consciously. I never realised that until TODAY!
- - - - - - - - - -
3m
Would I still use the lottery money today? Has its time come and gone? Handy though
- - - - - - - - - -
2m
The French dub is very funny, they kept the name Wilson. “Weeelsonne!” #TripOfALifetime #DoctorWho
- - - - - - - - - -
1m
This is where Graham Norton interrupted. We laugh now but that night, we DIED. WE DIED. And I spent the whole episode waiting for it to happen again
- - - - - - - - - -
1m
And truly, professionally, for BBC One, that is a disaster. Years later, GN met the man in a party. “It was me!” Graham said, astonished: “And you weren’t SACKED??” #TripOfALifetime
- - - - - - - - - -
39s
Oooh
- - - - - - - - - -
7s
Rose and the Doctor failing to self-distance
- - - - - - - - - -

14m
Long sequence, attack in the lift shaft, cut here
- - - - - - - - - -
13m
BEANS ON TOAST in the French dub is BOEUF BOURGUIGNON!
- - - - - - - - - -
13m
That bomb is concept designer Matt Savage's first design for TV
- - - - - - - - - -
13m
They flew me to Paris for 24 hrs for the French premiere. Got my ticket wrong. Stranded in Paris at midnight. Flew into Bristol at 4am. The BBC said, don’t worry, we've got you a driver. It was a one-armed man
- - - - - - - - - -
7m
No offence to one-armed men, but THAT was the trip of a lifetime #enoughaboutfrance #TripOfALifetime
- - - - - - - - - -
6m
CAMILLE!!! I love Camille. My nickname for her is Kippers
- - - - - - - - - -
5m
Rose is in lockdown. I foresee EVERYTHING #MysticRuss #TripOfALifetime
- - - - - - - - - -
4m
We rarely saw the Tylers’ Flat in studio, it was too big, and our studio was too small. I often had to write it out. It was meant to appear in Parting of the Ways, but I had to sit Rose, Jackie, Mickey in that cafe instead.
- - - - - - - - - -
4m
Arianna is my favourite biit of dialogue
- - - - - - - - - -
4m
That backdrop behind Chris! We had to blur that in post-production #
- - - - - - - - - -
3m
Everyone following? Say YES! #TripOfALifetime
- - - - - - - - - -
3m
HEAT magazine! we had to ask their permission. they were DELIGHTED!
- - - - - - - - - -
3m
This is pure Doctor Who. Mad and funny and about to be murdered
- - - - - - - - - -
2m
This sequence lasted a lot longer - they got trapped in the kitchen and realised that the Auton hand was attracted by sound. As it crept towards the sound of Jackie’s hairdryer!! Cut, damn it!
- - - - - - - - - -
2m
When I wrote the novel, Jackie walked in and found them both on the floor and said “Rose Tyler... you tart!’ WHY didn’t I think of that in 2004?
- - - - - - - - - -
1m
Different flats, Cardiff. We worried so much about that… but you can.t tell, can you?
- - - - - - - - - -
1m
This scene shot in Block 2, when we realised we were underunning. Do you know who can guess the length of a TV script? NO ONE.
- - - - - - - - - -
35s
WHAT ACTING, what a performance from these two

8m
What’s on Mickey’s computer?!
- - - - - - - - - -
7m
Next 10 minutes or so... Jane Tranter was dying for more of the Doctor around here. Just a cutaway. Overlooking London. I said no, that’s not the grammar of the episode. Now… sod grammar, she was right
- - - - - - - - - -
7m
Jane tranter: the hero of Doctor Who. She decided it should come back. We owe her EVERYTHING.
- - - - - - - - - -
7m
LOVE Mark Benton. My old mate. He’s watching! #TripOfALifetime
- - - - - - - - - -
6m
Ahhh CLIVE. Clive now appears in Big Finish audios, the Clive from the parallel world.
- - - - - - - - - -
6m
So tempting to have Clive surrounded by photos of all 9 Doctors… but that’s not the point of the scene. Too big a history for new viewers? I wonder. I think we were right. But... What d'you think?! #
- - - - - - - - - -
5m
I photoshopped that. Me.
- - - - - - - - - -
4m
OKAY. Everyone burp when the bin burps. OUT LOUD.
- - - - - - - - - -
4m
I mean it. A great big burp worldwide. The bin burps, you burp.
- - - - - - - - - -
4m
Or what is a livestream FOR?? Burp with the bin!
- - - - - - - - - -
3m
Ready….
- - - - - - - - - -
3m
Any second now.......
- - - - - - - - - -
3m
BRAAAAP #TripOfALifetime #DoctorWho #braap
- - - - - - - - - -
3m
The burp that went round the world
- - - - - - - - - -
2m
I'm laffin out loud now
- - - - - - - - - -
2m
I always wondered, how Real Mickey got from the bin to the Lair. The first draft had Auton bin men. Did that bin trundle slowly and secretly across London?! No, warp shunt technology zapped him there
- - - - - - - - - -

13m
My favourite thing? The table behind Rose. The man screams in this scene. The man, not the woman. 21st C Doctor Who! Watch him, any second now...
- - - - - - - - - -
11m
Again, what acting. never mind the beautiful Tardis. Moments like the, we knew we had a good show.
- - - - - - - - - -
10m
For a long while, I thought: what if they run inside the tardis and it’s just the size of a box? Me and my boyfriend laughed at that for weeks. Then I realised 2 middle-aged gays laughing wasn’t necessarily a good idea
- - - - - - - - - -
10m
Dimension singular, like in Hatrnell's day
- - - - - - - - - -
9m
Coming up.... LONDON EYE. Key moment in deciding the tone of the script. I sat there for a long time thinking: too funny? Too daft? Too unbelievable?
- - - - - - - - - -
8m
LONDON EYE: I rarely discuss things before handing in a script but i asked Julie about the Eye. She said it made her husband laugh. So it was in! (The idea lasted longer the the husband.)
- - - - - - - - - -
7m
I wonder if the script says they held hands? Cant remember. I love it
- - - - - - - - - -
6m
I always wonder, who's on that bus? Do they know they were in Doctor who?!
- - - - - - - - - -
5m
THE LAIR! Big cut from this sequence. They find Mickey… but Rose whispers to him about the anti-plastic, and it turns out he’s Auton Mickey. He tells the Nestene their anti-plastic plan, dissolves, real Mickey tumbles out of a cage
- - - - - - - - - -
5m
Shame to lose that. the only proper loss, i think. Now the Nestene just sits there. Hero and villain should always be equals. And their confrontation should have surprises, reversals, tricks
- - - - - - - - - -
4m
BUT. as a result, the entire thing has to fall on the Doctor’s shoulders, and he’s magnificent
- - - - - - - - - -
4m
The SIZE of that location was very rare in TV show back then. I was astonished. Everything is huge these days!
- - - - - - - - - -
3m
This location was filthy, Health & Safety nightmare!
- - - - - - - - - -
2m
First mention of the Time War
- - - - - - - - - -
2m
KIPPERS
- - - - - - - - - -
1m
Poor Clive! This is my favourite tweet since joining Twitter…
- - - - - - - - - -
58s
I needed to kill Clive cos this show is daft and fun and larky… but, but, but underneath, steeped in death. The stakes are high in Doctor Who! New viewers needed to see that
- - - - - - - - - -

15m
We added nick Briggs saying ’Time!’ ‘Lord!’ in the dub at the last moment
- - - - - - - - - -
14m
YVONNE! Thank you, Tracy Ann Oberman. Original ID, necklace and suit, she kept them all!
- - - - - - - - - -
13m
Model shot, explosions by Mike Tucker. I still don’t think CGI explosions can hold a FLAME to proper FX. BOOM
- - - - - - - - - -
13m
BUT IS IT OVER? Sequel arriving online in mere minutes: REVENGE OF THE NESTENE
- - - - - - - - - -
12m
Kippers survived!
- - - - - - - - - -
11m
Again, sod the FX, it all comes down to the acting. These three. Wonderful.
- - - - - - - - - -
11m
This night, on location, I was invited into the gay bar round the corner, Minsyk’s, how could I say no?! I met the host, Dr Beverley Ballcrusher. A Star Trek reference! Now my mate Rob, a true friend
- - - - - - - - - -
11m
That’s what it’s about into end. This looks like a TV show to you. To me, it’s a diary, it's a memoir, it's life, it’s our lives being lived. And it was the best of times. I absolutely loved it
- - - - - - - - - -
10m
Thanks for this, and HUGE thanks to Emily Cook of Doctor Who magazine, this take a lot of producing and she's been brilliant. The best @Emily_Rosina xxx
- - - - - - - - - -
8m
And it's all our lives, isn't it? If we were kids or adults in 2005. Or weren't born and have caught up since. A lovely, mad show binding us all together. That blue box spinning through our lives. We are so lucky, we love the best! #TripOfALifetime
- - - - - - - - - -

Malcy86

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Glasgow
Moffat's Day Of The Doctor tweets

9h
Hi. Steven Moffat here. Actual Steven Moffat, if there's still anyone bothering to pretend to be me. Only here for the Day Of The Doctor tweet-a-long, 7pm GMT, 21st March. #savetheday Disappearing after that BEFORE THEY GET ME!!!!
- - - - - - - - - -
8h
Somebody asked for a photo for proof. Well THIS will teach them!! Sorry about the beard by the way. They handed it to me on the way out the door along with some strong opinions about young people and a new way of frowning at strangers
- - - - - - - - - -
2h
People are asking about what kind of scene we created for tonight's show. It's a fun little intro, that's all. I mean none of us can leave our houses!! Hope you enjoy #savetheday
- - - - - - - - - -
55m
Right! Is everybody there? Got your tellies warmed up? #savetheday
- - - - - - - - - -
49m
Found this. An abandoned script idea. An intro spoken by the Doctor … or someone … Glad I abandoned it, it's not very good. And it gives the game away. But what the hell!
- - - - - - - - - -
49m
Long ago, on the lost world of Gallifrey, the planet of the Time Lords, there was a legend much loved by the children. It told of a great hero who would return on their darkest day to save them all. But first he would have to save himself.
- - - - - - - - - -
Oh, I've forgetting the hanshtag. Oops. Will start again #savetheday
- - - - - - - - - -
44m
I wrote in the people behind the crash barriers cos I figured they'd be there. #savetheday
- - - - - - - - - -
Oh, it's good this, isn't it? #savetheday
- - - - - - - - - -
41m
Wrote the script in several different orders, couldn't make up mind (sound familiar.) Originally I started with the War Doctor, went to David, then Matt. How very linear, I despaired. Started with Matt co he was the Main Man of the time.
- - - - - - - - - -
Oh, I can't remember that hashtag thing. I'm rubbish, sorry. #savetheday
- - - - - - - - - -
40m
I showed this scene of the TARDIS blasting through the wall to my son, Louis. He said "John Hurt is the best Doctor ever!" Obviously hadn't seen him yet. #savetheday
- - - - - - - - - -
39m
Very Doctor. Everyone else is involved in Mass destruction and he's doing a spot graffiti and thinking he's badass. #savetheday

37m
My main thing in postproduction was always asking for birds to be added to matte paintings. Spot all the birds. #SaveTheDay
- - - - - - - - - -
36m
Billie Piper is so good as the Moment, you almost forget she was Rose Tyler! Seems like a completely different person.
- - - - - - - - - -
34m
How good is John Hurt. Owning that part in one go. And such a lovely man. Pleasantly grumpy about everything. We had a cast dinner - he was grumpy about how GOOD the wine was.
- - - - - - - - - -
32m
I last saw the great man at a Comic Con. We did a panel together. "This is a new departure for you." I said. "Oh, I've done this before," he explained. "You see I did this science fiction film called Alien …"
- - - - - - - - - -
30m
Now here's a thing. The whole room, with the David picture in it, was supposed to be a lift. We shot a bit where all the pictures slid up the walls as the room descended. Everyone thought it was too silly. I loved it.
- - - - - - - - - -
29m
This was David's first day on Day. Back in costume for the first time in years. Marcus Wilson, the producer, said it was like live archive footage.
- - - - - - - - - -
28m
My cameo coming up.
- - - - - - - - - -
28m
That rabbit costume was a bit snug I can tell you.
- - - - - - - - - -
27m
"Probably just your planet" was added in ADR. It's quite good though.
- - - - - - - - - -
25m
I'm going to pay myself a compliment. The internet will explode in demonic rage. The fez device (indicating how all the Doctor timelines are synching up) is really good. Or if it isn't, at least it's a funny hat. Got to love a funny hat.
- - - - - - - - - -
24m
The "figures escaping from paintings" idea would have held an entire episode. So that was a waste!
- - - - - - - - - -
23m
Okay. Sand shoes. That's what we call gym shoes in Scotland. I should've translated for Non-Scots. But quite honestly, who cares about those guys.
- - - - - - - - - -
23m
The Doctor : uniquely having a bromance with HIMSELF.
- - - - - - - - - -
23m
You see. Now John Hurt is picking up the fez. I knew what I was doing once.
- - - - - - - - - -
22m
70's or 80's, depending on the dating protocol. You're very welcome, elder fandom.
- - - - - - - - - -
21m
If you look carefully …. it's raining!
- - - - - - - - - -
21m
dikk Van Dyke. And David still speaks to me! #SaveTheDay

17m
We stupidly cut a line here. John Hurt yells out the door "You can't lock me up with those two. I'll have my head off now!' J. Hurt was so FUNNY saying that, and we were fools. #SaveTheDay
- - - - - - - - - -
16m
Ingrid Oliver doesn't really wear glasses, you know. Surprise me whenever I see her.
- - - - - - - - - -
15m
We had Peter Cushing movie posters here, in the script. But we couldn't get the copyright!!
- - - - - - - - - -
14m
My wife just said the effects are very good!!
- - - - - - - - - -
13m
Ah, the dungeon scene. The Doctor in his manacle, for a spot of self-loathing.
- - - - - - - - - -
12m
The playing in this scene is stellar, and that makes it work, I think I rewrote it too often though Pulls in slightly too many directions, I overthought, But with that cast, who cares?
- - - - - - - - - -
10m
I think I improved it in the book. I added flashbacks. And River Song and a robot clown. Any dungeon scene would be improved by River Song and a robot clown.
- - - - - - - - - -
9m
Closer inspection of this plot will reveal this fact: it's Elizabeth who defeats the Zygons. She uncovers their plan, traps the Zygons, and despatches the Doctor to sort them out in the future. Yah for Liz 1.
- - - - - - - - - -
8m
David and Matt in character as the Doctor doing Listening Face!!
- - - - - - - - - -
7m
Love Matt nodding along as David screws up!
- - - - - - - - - -
6m
This plot has been going since Gareth's Shakespeare's Code. Now we know why Liz1 was cross. It's all planned.
- - - - - - - - - -
5m
David's TARDIS was in the Doctor Who experience. But we only had it for half a day, so I rewrote the script to revert to Matt's TARDIS. #SaveTheDay
- - - - - - - - - -

4m
God, this is NUTS, isn't it? #SaveTheDay
- - - - - - - - - -
4m
Weird seeing David watching someone else fly the TARDIS. On se, Matt kept offering him a shot of the controls. "I mean, it's your TARDIS too." "Oh, no, no, no, you're doing fine!"
- - - - - - - - - -
3m
Oh come on! Three Doctors badassing out of an oil painting to the action theme. This is the stuff!
- - - - - - - - - -
3m
There's a quick glimpse of the Kate double here. See if you can spot it.
- - - - - - - - - -
3m
The feet on the table. How cool!
- - - - - - - - - -
2m
Love the Osgoods. Ingrid is a star. TWO stars.
- - - - - - - - - -
2m
Mike Yates meets Sara Kingdom - fandom, figure THAT one out.
- - - - - - - - - -
1m
Beautiful scene with Jenna and John. Few writers get to hear their words delivered at this level.
- - - - - - - - - -
30s
I hate to admit - and will be hated - but I'm bloody loving this.
- - - - - - - - - -
2m
My son Louis came out to set to see this momentous scene being shot. He got bored, and insisted we went and played on the TARDIS. Fair enough.
- - - - - - - - - -
1m
The Doctor saving himself!
- - - - - - - - - -
57s
David gets the BIG COAT for the hero moment!!
- - - - - - - - - -
7m *
Nick Hurran's work is EXCEPTIONAL. The certainty with which he handles the constant changes of tone.
- - - - - - - - - -
6m
Can't think why Jenna Coleman went on to huge leads in great shows!
- - - - - - - - - -
5m
Never cruel or cowardly. The words of the late great Terrance dikks. The key to being the Doctor - even for the Doctor. Terrance taught him how to be the man he needed to be. #SaveTheDay

4m
I had to type these scenes standing up. TOO EXCITING. #SaveTheDay
- - - - - - - - - -
3m
We lied and lied. Said the other Doctors wouldn't be in the show. For THIS!
- - - - - - - - - -
2m
And here they come!
- - - - - - - - - -
2m
Ah, the Capaldi eyes. Once the future, now in the past. Still terrifying!!
- - - - - - - - - -
7m
Ah, Nick Hurran. Space explosion to cup of tea. It doesn't get more Doctor Who.
- - - - - - - - - -
6m
The joke about which "Tardis is mine?" was John Hurt's. He went native fast.
- - - - - - - - - -
5m
Added the regeneration scene as the last minute, at the same time as I wrote Night Of The Doctor. Fanboy completist!
- - - - - - - - - -
4m
"I don't want to go!" I preserved his last words, only fair.
- - - - - - - - - -
3m
And here he is!
- - - - - - - - - -
3m
Outrageous shooting/editing. Delaying the reveal for such a long time! But Tiom Baker is worth it!
- - - - - - - - - -
6m
"Congratulations" "Thankyou very much" was improv. Makes no sense but delightful.
- - - - - - - - - -
5m
The roundel wall was later used for David Bradley's TARDIS. Make of that what you will.
- - - - - - - - - -
2m
Ah, that was lovely. Well for me, anyway. In fact it was "home the long way round."
- - - - - - - - - -
7m
Miss that show. Miss the madness and the speed and the vitality of it. And I miss you lot. Stay well. Stay home. If you've induelged in panic buying take it all to the door of the nearest NHS worker. Save the world. #SaveTheDay

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
They released a short story with Susan and 13. Wish they go ahead and make a move in the show. Especially with the Doctor’s past before running away now under the microscope.

If he ran to protect Susan from the same fate would be cool.