Does the world really need a new iPhone every year?

Atlrocafella

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, Georgia
:yeshrug: I appreciate the yearly upgrades to IOS, plus my phone company offers to upgrade me to the latest phone every year, so I'll take it.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Just because they release a new model every year doesn't mean you have to buy it every year.
So it's incorrect that their phones have a short life span.

My pops been rocking the same iphone 5 for 4 years now without any issues
Exactly. They are NOT obsolete or slow or even problematic if you hold onto them. It's like a car. Yea a new model will be better, but it don't make the 2016 edition obsolete like the engine gonna fall out

I still have a 6. Works flawlessly. I know people with a 5. Works flawlessly.

Did the 7 have some nice options? Sure did. Was it worth buying for me? Hell no. But the 8 might.

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
I still wish i had my galaxy S7 instead of this S8 plus. Rumor was that the S8 was suppose to be rootable which is why i upgraded. Turns out its not so now im stuck with an unrootable phone until they crack it or i might just sell it and get the S7 again.

Last edited:

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Only reason I upgraded my i5 after years was because I cracked the screen pretty bad. The new bells and whistles are cool, but for what their asking :whoa:

And I don't do those sham celll phone installation plans. I buy outright.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
I rocked my LG G3 since it launched like 3 years ago. Had no plans on upgrading either, until sprint sent me a letter about tethering:huhldup:and I was still rockin my OG unlimited plan. I guess they tryna phase people out of them old plans. Then I went ahead and got an S8. I love it. And I pay less now. :yeshrug:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I still got a old ass Samsung a5 with two gigs of ram, surf's the internet fast is lte, camera is decent even though I don't care about photos . Will Rock it till 1. It breaks or 2. Phone company offers me a free phone .

Back in the day I used to get all the iPhone's day 1

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Every year they boast about faster processors and I feel like for the apps most people run on these things that power is wasted. I mean really people mostly do basic things on these phones. Hell I never felt like a maxed out my iPhone 6.

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
No but we'll be getting one every year soooooooo

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
i got my first cell phone last year...a gs3.
i'm still rocking it.

it does everything i need it to do.

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"Corporations are people too "
They don't get off Scott free. They carefully create conditions in which people are socialized to consume.

McDonalds/food companies are one thing - humans can't boycott the act of eating. No one needs an iphone.

Mana

Kung Fu Mama
Daps
Reppin
Boards don't hit back
I use to post on a forum with a chick that bought hundreds of thousands of dollars of Apple devices. Not because she needed them, but because she kept up with up annual consumerism and the popularity of the name brand(eye roll). Ever since I've met her, I've been secretly hoping Apple would die off.

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
it's fine that they drop every year. most phone contracts are two years anyway. ppl's problem is that ppl can't NOT have the next thing for another year.

the problem is the consumer, not the supplier.
Ever heard the term "supply side economics"? product life cycles have become shorter and shorter in order to boost consumption. if people stop consuming like crazy, our economic system will collapse because there isn't enough growth.