Dune director Denis villenueve says marvel movies are cut and paste of others

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
These director's have themselves to blame, they haven't made anything original or must see in the theaters that's why the movie industry is 100 percent marvel, marvel is literally keeping the theaters in business

they need to step their game up, the age of the movie star is over, they don't exist anymore

dune is outdated, it doesn't fit into today's landscape, Star Wars was the updated Dune and stole from it, now Star Wars is only around today because it was turned into a brand, the movies are all trash, dune will be no different, the book is trash the original movie was trash

movies are about spectacle, you either do it with drama, or the imagination, something has to motivate the audience to what to see the movie
:picard:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Few things....

1. He's not wrong, but....I'm not sure what he expects them to do. They've made billions upon billions of dollars, there's very little reason to deviate from their formula. Regardless of how you personally feel about it.

2. I wouldn't compare this to Scorsese as he went over budget on his movie, it lost distribution, then he tried to play it off like comic movies taking over cinema kept "The Irishman" out of theaters.

He could've point blank said "fukk Marvel" out of the clear blue sky and I wouldn't care. It's his opinion. But the lying was goofy as fukk and made me look at him differently.

3. I see a lot of people talking about Marvel movies are "kid movies". No offense to anyone but you cats sound like 70 year olds discussing video games. Hell, 70 year olds probably game now too so even that's not accurate.

Regardless, everyone from every demographic goes to see comic movies. It's how they make so much money.

Fred.

this.

Don't want to bring it back to this, but WHY WOULD McDonald's change up a successful formula? Def not the best burgers, but it gets the job done. :yeshrug:

I do think they'll start adding more variety and different tones hopefully. Crossing my fingers they'll go a more mature route in some of their future flicks. The Netflix Joints were DOPE IMO due to the more mature tone (I know cats hated Iron Fist, but Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones were all flames IMO).

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
this.

Don't want to bring it back to this, but WHY WOULD McDonald's change up a successful formula? Def not the best burgers, but it gets the job done. :yeshrug:

I do think they'll start adding more variety and different tones hopefully. Crossing my fingers they'll go a more mature route in some of their future flicks. The Netflix Joints were DOPE IMO due to the more mature tone (I know cats hated Iron Fist, but Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones were all flames IMO).

I don't foresee them changing the movie formula, like you said why would they?

I dunno if you watched the Disney+ shows but they aren't like anything else in the MCU, and they aren't alike at all, either. Streaming services are gonna give them a bit more room to experiment in ways they don't want to for their movies.

Fred.

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I don't foresee them changing the movie formula, like you said why would they?

I dunno if you watched the Disney+ shows but they aren't like anything else in the MCU, and they aren't alike at all, either. Streaming services are gonna give them a bit more room to experiment in ways they don't want to for their movies.

Fred.

Diversify the formula is more of what i meant. They're not going to fix what's not broke. But diversifying some of it wouldn't be bad.

The D+ joints have been solid overall. Really liked FATWS and Loki (outside of the corny alligator...Disney gonna Disney).

Wandavision started off slow, great in the middle, then didn't nail the landing at all for me. Was a letdown for me.

I'll catch up on What If soon enough.

All I ask is to NOT fukkup Doom and the X-Men. The F4 characters are PERFECT for their formula, but do not fukk up Doom AGAIN (Feige was a producer on A LOT Of those Fox Marvel Movies so I hope he learned his lesson).

edit: He got production credits on the first 4 Spideys and 2 Hulk movies as well. :patrice:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Diversify the formula is more of what i meant. They're not going to fix what's not broke. But diversifying some of it wouldn't be bad.

The D+ joints have been solid overall. Really liked FATWS and Loki (outside of the corny alligator...Disney gonna Disney).

Wandavision started off slow, great in the middle, then didn't nail the landing at all for me. Was a letdown for me.

I'll catch up on What If soon enough.

All I ask is to NOT fukkup Doom and the X-Men. The F4 characters are PERFECT for their formula, but do not fukk up Doom AGAIN (Feige was a producer on A LOT Of those Fox Marvel Movies so I hope he learned his lesson).

edit: He got production credits on the first 4 Spideys and 2 Hulk movies as well. :patrice:

Feige being a producer on those movies doesn't mean much, he was basically Avi Arad's little homie back then. Arad was running the show. Feige was the nerd/lore guy that would give them input from the comics.

Besides, Marvel had little to no creative input on the movies prior to them starting the MCU. It was more just a formality to list their names, same as Marvel listing Sony when they do their Spider-Man movies. Even though Sony has virtually nothing to do with the finished product.

Fred.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's still ironic to talk about formulaic when you're shooting an adaptation of something that's already established, either in film or literature. You're not exactly breaking the mold. You're taking a creative license to retell something. You're literally being given formula. Sure you can improvise and play with it, but to call out others for being formulaic still seems to lack a bit of self-awareness. But like I said, shytting on popular movies is a great way to drum up press.
So putting your spin on an adaptation is on same playing field adhering to a formula for a film franchise
Doesn't make sense

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That’s the thing that kills me. People bytch about it “all being the same”. Well duh dumbass it’s a connected universe and probably is one of the greatest achievements in cinematic history to pull this off for going on 2+ decades. If every movie had a different tone then people would just bytch about how nothing was connected and they had no idea what they are doing and there is no plan and blah blah blah.

This is pretty much the equivalent of people hating Michael Jordan. It’s understandable if you hate it, not everybody is going to love it. But to deny how impressive their actual job has been is silly.
sigh

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
this.

They’ve already started with “What If” with the tonal changes. Now that they’ve proven success with the first 10 years of dominance they are getting more comfortable and I think we will continue to see the expansion in the tv realm.

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
They’ve already started with “What If” with the tonal changes. Now that they’ve proven success with the first 10 years of dominance they are getting more comfortable and I think we will continue to see the expansion in the tv realm.

I hope so.

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
That’s the thing that kills me. People bytch about it “all being the same”. Well duh dumbass it’s a connected universe and probably is one of the greatest achievements in cinematic history to pull this off for going on 2+ decades. If every movie had a different tone then people would just bytch about how nothing was connected and they had no idea what they are doing and there is no plan and blah blah blah.

This is pretty much the equivalent of people hating Michael Jordan. It’s understandable if you hate it, not everybody is going to love it. But to deny how impressive their actual job has been is silly.
:gucci:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Few things....

You are mad at artists wanting to do different things with their craft other than splice together some formulaic shyt. Yes.. kids movies make more money because if i'm a parent i gotta bring the kids and buy 4 tickets instead of 2 with just the wife right...

That's not really rocket science. Artists care more about pushing and elevating the arts than they do about just money. i don't necessarily feel that producers should feel the same way but you can't expect artists to just wanna do copy/paste joints all the time.. they wanna do they own shyt.

This whole thing is laughable. He was asked his opinion and he gave it. He doesn't have to kiss the ass of insecure man children.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
And NONE of you are seeing a fukking red cent whether a movie makes ten dollars or 3 billion dollars. You aren't producers. You aren't studio executives. Everyone knows kids movies make money... E.T. was a huge fukking blockbuster... no shyt :dead: :mjlol:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
You are mad at artists wanting to do different things with their craft other than splice together some formulaic shyt. Yes.. kids movies make more money because if i'm a parent i gotta bring the kids and buy 4 tickets instead of 2 with just the wife right...

That's not really rocket science. Artists care more about pushing and elevating the arts than they do about just money. i don't necessarily feel that producers should feel the same way but you can't expect artists to just wanna do copy/paste joints all the time.. they wanna do they own shyt.

This whole thing is laughable. He was asked his opinion and he gave it. He doesn't have to kiss the ass of insecure man children.

Homie what are you so emotional for? Do you personally know Denis Villenueve? Relax. :dahell:

I'm not mad about anything. I don't know how you could read what I said, and interpret any part of it as anger.

Him pointing out Marvel has a copy-and-paste formula would be like Outkast pointing out the same thing about Puff Daddy in 1998.

It's like....ok?

Who the better "artist" is doesn't even factor into the equation. It's Outkast. But they aren't trying to accomplish the same things, it's apples and oranges.

I mean....I dunno if you quoted me by accident or what. Half of what you said had nothing to do with my post. He's an artist....ok? Where did I say he's not? :dwillhuh:

And the vast majority of people seeing comic movies ain't kids. Or "man children".

These movies are a pop culture staple at this point, everyone goes and sees them. Every demo, age, back ground, whatever. Hood, suburbs, white, black, rich, poor, everybody. I know you know this, so why play dumb?

Fred.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
There's a place for both. I say Shang-Chi two weeks ago and loved it. The evening I went to see it was one of those evenings I didn't really know what to do and felt like just sitting back and relaxing with high-octane entertainment. It worked and the movie was even better than what I expected from the trailer.

Yesterday I went to see Dune, stunning and amazing movie. Made sure I was well rested and in the right mood because I knew it was going to be more demanding and wanted something I could get immerged in. It worked too and I'm still processing the beauty and general atmosphere of the movie. Best movie I've seen this year that's for sure.

Basically it's not this OR that, one can appreciate both kind of movies (I do) recognizing they're different styles and fulfill different purposes.

And reading from the full quotes it's less inflamatory than what the tweets say.