Dune director Denis villenueve says marvel movies are cut and paste of others

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Talk about irony. The director of a remake shytting on formulaic movies I don't understand why directors feel the need to comment on this topic. They're not changing hearts or minds, it just creates unnecessary backlash. Unless that's what they're shooting for - PR.
Technically he's not doing a remake
Many filmmakers have done Romeo and Juliet but do you think each director is remaking R&J

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Technically he's not doing a remake
Many filmmakers have done Romeo and Juliet but do you think each director is remaking R&J

It's still ironic to talk about formulaic when you're shooting an adaptation of something that's already established, either in film or literature. You're not exactly breaking the mold. You're taking a creative license to retell something. You're literally being given formula. Sure you can improvise and play with it, but to call out others for being formulaic still seems to lack a bit of self-awareness. But like I said, shytting on popular movies is a great way to drum up press.

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
these marvel stans are something else . This and the "Scorsese says marvel movies arent art".:wow:Gold...pure gold. Idk why they take this shyt so personal.
To actually believe that the goat director and the best director working today are jelous of antman and the wasp:wow:

these guys have childhood ties to these films...it's deeper than just calling a move they like trash, they legit feel like you're insulting their youth, their personas, the heroes they see themselves in

think of how a kid would react to saying _____ is better than their favorite "superhero"...this is the psychology that is at work here

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
these guys have childhood ties to these films...it's deeper than just calling a move they like trash, they legit feel like you're insulting their youth, their personas, the heroes they see themselves in

think of how a kid would react to saying _____ is better than their favorite "superhero"...this is the psychology that is at work here

Meh. i grew up with all the superheroes too but i ain't gonna try to tell anyone that all these joints are masterpieces.. some of these guys got a problem :yeshrug:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
So anyone seen this new dune, shyt dropped online I wonder if it's dope or not?!? :mjpls: I mean I hope it's not another cut and paste and better than the marvel movies :troll:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York

Like or dislike Marvel movies however much you want but give the people involved the professional courtesy you give every other property and not call their offeeings less than publicly. Marvel can't be the only group of people making bad unoriginal content but they are the only ones who get called out in news publications by their peers. And it isn't because they are the worst offenders but because they do very well financially.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Like or dislike Marvel movies however much you want but give the people involved the professional courtesy you give every other property and not call their offeeings less than publicly. Marvel can't be the only group of people making bad unoriginal content but they are the only ones who get called out in news publications by their peers. And it isn't because they are the worst offenders but because they do very well financially.

man these film makers cant even make a trilogy that doesnt suck and got the nerve to hate on folks who tied together like 20 years of movies perfectly

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Few things....

1. He's not wrong, but....I'm not sure what he expects them to do. They've made billions upon billions of dollars, there's very little reason to deviate from their formula. Regardless of how you personally feel about it.

2. I wouldn't compare this to Scorsese as he went over budget on his movie, it lost distribution, then he tried to play it off like comic movies taking over cinema kept "The Irishman" out of theaters.

He could've point blank said "fukk Marvel" out of the clear blue sky and I wouldn't care. It's his opinion. But the lying was goofy as fukk and made me look at him differently.

3. I see a lot of people talking about Marvel movies are "kid movies". No offense to anyone but you cats sound like 70 year olds discussing video games. Hell, 70 year olds probably game now too so even that's not accurate.

Regardless, everyone from every demographic goes to see comic movies. It's how they make so much money.

Fred.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
man these film makers cant even make a trilogy that doesnt suck and got the nerve to hate on folks who tied together like 20 years of movies perfectly
That’s the thing that kills me. People bytch about it “all being the same”. Well duh dumbass it’s a connected universe and probably is one of the greatest achievements in cinematic history to pull this off for going on 2+ decades. If every movie had a different tone then people would just bytch about how nothing was connected and they had no idea what they are doing and there is no plan and blah blah blah.

This is pretty much the equivalent of people hating Michael Jordan. It’s understandable if you hate it, not everybody is going to love it. But to deny how impressive their actual job has been is silly.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
That’s the thing that kills me. People bytch about it “all being the same”. Well duh dumbass it’s a connected universe and probably is one of the greatest achievements in cinematic history to pull this off for going on 2+ decades. If every movie had a different tone then people would just bytch about how nothing was connected and they had no idea what they are doing and there is no plan and blah blah blah.

This is pretty much the equivalent of people hating Michael Jordan. It’s understandable if you hate it, not everybody is going to love it. But to deny how impressive their actual job has been is silly.
:snoop:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
These director's have themselves to blame, they haven't made anything original or must see in the theaters that's why the movie industry is 100 percent marvel, marvel is literally keeping the theaters in business

they need to step their game up, the age of the movie star is over, they don't exist anymore

dune is outdated, it doesn't fit into today's landscape, Star Wars was the updated Dune and stole from it, now Star Wars is only around today because it was turned into a brand, the movies are all trash, dune will be no different, the book is trash the original movie was trash

movies are about spectacle, you either do it with drama, or the imagination, something has to motivate the audience to what to see the movie